Join Early Retirement Today

iMac 21 inch
Old 10-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

iMac 21 inch

I am interested in getting the basic 21.xx inch iMac, currently on sale for about 1k. We mainly do surfing, email, and skype, no real gaming stuff. I have iphone and ipad and have seen flawless performance from Apple. This would be our first non-pc.
Anybody care to talk me out of it?

cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not an Apple fan but if you like your other Apple devices then, you'll probably like the iMac.

Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I am interested in getting the basic 21.xx inch iMac, currently on sale for about 1k. We mainly do surfing, email, and skype, no real gaming stuff. I have iphone and ipad and have seen flawless performance from Apple. This would be our first non-pc.
Nope.

I bought its big brother this summer (the 27" iMac) and it's the best Mac I've owned.

Make sure you get the one with the SSD in it. The Fusion drive is good, but with the pure SSD, the thing is blazing fast.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had the 21" for 4 yrs. DW is a mac fanatic and has the 27". For general use it's been bulletproof. The 27" is nice is you have 3-4 windows open at same time. I'm not sure what you're used to with Skype but it was perfectly adequate for me while doing OMY 3 yrs ago.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not me. I’ve had nothing but PC’s as long as they’ve existed (back to MS-DOS), but I only bought my last Dell PC (about 5 years ago) because the equivalent iMac was quite a bit more expensive. We’ve had iPhones and iPads for years, I’d have ZERO qualms about owning an iMac.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No reason not to buy it if that's what you're interested in.
About mid-way in the product cycle (released in June, and typically about a year between new models).

I was always a fan of the iMac, but eventually I realized that I could get the same power in a laptop (MacBook Pro) for a somewhat similar price. I use the MacBook at home with a cheap larger display monitor and it's the same as having a desktop. On the rare occasions when I want to bring it with me on a trip, it's easy.

Starting price is $1,300 for the iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro

I would recommend looking carefully at the specs, deciding exactly how you'll use it, and buying accordingly.

I've been a Mac user since 1987, I used to w*rk for a custom Mac software developer, and I've been a consultant on contract to Apple, so I'm clearly biased.

OTOH, I've also developed custom software for Windows and UNIX, so I have a pretty good perspective. But I always come back to Apple.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

Just do it.

My iMac 27” is 6.5 years old and still purrs like a kitten.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

I'm on my second IMac. First lasted 9 years. Upgrade the RAM, maybe. Do it.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I won't talk you out of it. My latest iMac is about 6 years old and runs great. Same with my MacBook Pro.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #10

Bought an Apple 27" iMac in June (mid-2017 model). Added lots of options - paid $3.3k. Haven't had any trouble with it. I use it with an external 22" monitor; still sometimes short of screen space (doing development work). I quickly replaced the horrible 'chiclet' keyboard with a Kinesis Freestyle 2 keyboard. The wireless mouse is starting to aggravate me (issues random mouse clicks even with all gestures turned off) so I'm thinking of going to a wired mouse. YMMV.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We prefer the trackpad to the mouse with our 27" 4K iMac
Old 10-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The problem I've encountered with iMac all-in-one is that upgrades are very difficult. After a few years Apple will not support the beast, so you're on your own to find someone who is qualified to open the case and replace failed components, or even a PRAM battery.

I recommend you max out memory for this reason.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I recommend you max out memory for this reason.
Yes, I'm sorry I didn't mention this. Always get as much RAM as they will stuff in it. You might not need it now, but future OS versions will certainly need it and performance will suffer if it's not there.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Also very pleased with my 21" iMac. I concur with mpeirce... I would not get the very base model 21" iMac, which has an old-fashioned spinning hard drive. Spec it with either a SSD drive, or at least the Fusion drive which is a SSD-spinning drive hybrid.
CitizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an 21 inch iMac and it works great, I have iPhone and iPAD wife has Macbook Pro. We used to be PCs only.

The one thing I would suggest is to think about a Macbook also for portability. I believe you can get plug ins to use it with a large monitor if that is what you want while being able to take it with you when you travel. I find the iPAD lacking for regular use on the road.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #16

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back. I couldn't imagine going back to the old regular PCs with MS Windows OS. I run a Mac mini and use a regular keyboard, mouse and monitor. Didn't really care for the Apple KB and mouse. If I were to upgrade I'd go with the Mac Daddy 27" iMac with all the bells and whistles.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am biased since I've been all Apple for 30 years. One thing you might enjoy with the iMac is that you can set things up so that if the iPhone rings, it rings on the iMac too and you can take the call from there. Great if the phone got left in some distant place in the house.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #18

I've been all Apple since 2012 and have been very pleased.

I would avoid the low end iMac with a magnetic hard drive though. Without an SSD drive it will be slow, especially after a few years as the operating system updates come out. I would upgrade to 16MB as well.

Look for discounts from places like Adorama and B&H Photo. Or, if eligible, buy through the Apple educational discount program.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s great for an always on computer. We’re at 6years? Bought refurbished for a bit less - larger screen size one.

Started to get a bit slow so added ram last year. If I could swap out SSD would last another 5 years. Only slow for restarts - but even then not bad.

Big fan of windows on some things but the Mac is much lower maintenance
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #20

Love the iMac and AppleCare is awesome. They walk you through all issues without sounding pretentious. The ability to connect with iPhone is so convenient. I answer my cell calls from my Mac, update pictures, calendar, notes, and get my texts through my Mac. That way I don't have to run into the other room and get my cell for anything. I don't get a single ad on any website I visit, but you can do that with a PC. I only allow Mac downloads through App, so any weird download needs special password. No issues with security.

We had so many problems with PC's. Can't even go there.