Input requested from those who stream British entertainment.

Germonico

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been watch Acorn TV via Hoopla and have discovered many shows that I want to continue streaming beyond the limitations associated with Hoopla (5 selections per month via local library). In researching, I discovered Britbox as an alternative to Acorn and is about the same monthly fee. I realize it is a personal choice, but would like to know if members here prefer Acorn TV over Britbox? I recently discovered 800 Words on Acorn and find it to be addictive and therefore am leaning towards Acorn. I enjoy detective shows and both venues seem to offer a fair number of detective series. Just looking for additional input on which way to go.

Last edited:
I have no experience with Britbox but we liked Acorn enough to opt for an annual subscription to save a few dollars - $50 plus tax. We also have Amazon Prime Video but find ourselves watching programs on Acorn 2X as often as Prime programs. Good stuff.

From other posts on this forum I feel Acorn broadcasting may be the better choice from an entertainment perspective, but my experience/knowledge of Britbox is absolutely minimal.

I've decided as the 2020 political commercials start appearing (and I've already seen a few) Acorn TV will be my main solace to avoid the onslaught of American commercials.

IIRC the recommendation is to start either, watch your fill of their offerings, then cancel & switch to the other.

IIRC the recommendation is to start either, watch your fill of their offerings, then cancel & switch to the other.

Exactly this. We had Acorn on and off for a while (these days mostly off), but for the last couple of years we've gotten Britbox for just a month or two to catch up on stuff like Vera, Shetland and the Bletchley Circle that Acorn doesn't carry.

We use a VPN (ExpressVPN) which makes our IP address appear to be from Britain and stream several British TV channels live. Apple computer and then streamed to an Apple TV connected to our TV. DW and DD have several programs they watch regularly. They love their quiz shows. Documentaries are also very good.

I've been watch Acorn TV via Hoopla and have discovered many shows that I want to continue streaming beyond the limitations associated with Hoopla (5 selections per month via local library). In researching, I discovered Britbox as an alternative to Acorn and is about the same monthly fee. I realize it is a personal choice, but would like to know if members here prefer Acorn TV over Britbox? I recently discovered 800 Words on Acorn and find it to be addictive and therefore am leaning towards Acorn. I enjoy detective shows and both venues seem to offer a fair number of detective series. Just looking for additional input on which way to go.

We've been an Acorn subscriber for about 3 years. A little over a year ago, we added Britbox with the idea we'd do a bake-off. Well, here we are a year later and we still have both. Why?

They have, I'd say, about 75% overlap in shows we're interested in. It's the other 25% that has kept us in both. Some shows we like are only available on one. Specifically, shows we like, such as Vera, have certain seasons only on Acorn and newer seasons only on Britbox. I'm certain there are others.

Both are inexpensive enough, that we'll probably keep both around.

Cheers!

I love Acorn, and I just started subscribing to BritBox because of Vera and Shetland. We got the 3 month half price deal.

Back
Top Bottom