Join Early Retirement Today

Internet anxiety
Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Internet anxiety

So, in the past week I have experienced:
1. A text from a gentleman willing to share $2.5mil with him if I respond to him.
2. A fake PayPal email stating my account may have been compromised and to click on a link to resolve the problem. A query with PayPal confirmed there was no compromise. I changed my password just to be safe.
3. An email from "Apple-ID-Team" stating in poor English that my account had a request to "process on Jan Tue 2018," with an email recovery address of "siegfried1930@gmail.com" from Kyoto, Japan. I changed my password on this phish just to be on the safe side.
4. Every few weeks I get a legitimate email and text from my good friends at Equifax (the folks that lost all our data) mysecureID folks stating:
"Dear client,
As part of your enrollment in TrustedID Premier, we monitor your credit report each day for certain key changes, including an account balance change, a new inquiry, new accounts, or address changes.
We've noticed a change on your credit report, and we encourage you to log in to your account to view details at www.trustedid.com.
Each time I get one of these notices, I log in and find nothing amiss, credit report has nothing new or unusual. I spoke to one of their reps on the help line and she provided a cryptic explanation that I should release my credit freeze so they could investigate the issue. The person had a heavy accent so I could not get a clear explanation of why they needed me to release my credit freeze. So now, every few weeks I log in to confirm there is no problem.

All of this crap makes me want to exit the internet world and do things the old fashioned way, which I realize is no longer even possible.
This seems to be getting worse with no real solutions coming from our government or financial institutions. What steps are you all taking to protect your electronically vulnerable stuff?

cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 6 months ago, I used VeraCrypt to create encrypted containers for sensitive information. Better than nothing if important data get stolen from my PC.

At first, the process using encrypted containers seemed cumbersome. Now, my feelings have changed and like Karl Malden used to say, "Don't leave home without them".

Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have no problems ignoring this type of junk e-mail.

What I *thought* this thread was going to be about, was a type of internet anxiety that nearly drove me over the edge on the 2nd and 3rd of January! Thanks to Cox Cable, my internet was out and I was freaking out.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

What I *thought* this thread was going to be about, was a type of internet anxiety that nearly drove me over the edge on the 2nd and 3rd of January! Thanks to Cox Cable, my internet was out and I was freaking out.

That sounds serious. I hope you are joking.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
What steps are you all taking to protect your electronically vulnerable stuff?
Send me a fax with your telex code and I'll share my techniques.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I thought the thread was going to deal with anxiety brought on by the tendency to compare oneself with other people's social media postings (where everyone else has more friends and fun than you do), or the fear that one's avatar/fake Internet identity will be "outed," or maybe the fear that one is spending too much time on the Net and not doing enough in real life.

As for fake online appeals and semi-threats, I ignore or delete those.
Internet anxiety
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Internet anxiety

The problem with spamming, phishing, spoofing, cloning, etc. is that many folks are seemingly ignorant. And that ignorance allows these things to spread/succeed.

“Fake” news is even worse, as the dumbing of America accelerates...

But having used computers, and the interweb, since they were ox-powered makes me more cautious than most relative newbies, and therefore less of a target.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Nigerian Man.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
What steps are you all taking to protect your electronically vulnerable stuff?
Dump your Facebook account.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I practice safe computing. I wrap myself in a full body condom before touching the keyboard.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I practice safe computing. I wrap myself in a full body condom before touching the keyboard.
Lubricant can't be good for your peripherals !!

Old 01-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Dump your Facebook account.
Yes, I am beginning to realize that Facebook is not friendly website. They siphon off all your information and sell it.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Lubricant can't be good for your peripherals !!

Probably not.

I w*rked in IT where many best praticices for security were required(lubes were not allowed onsite&#128513.

I don't mean to be flippant in my response, it's just the proper way to do things. I have to take the needed precautions(virus protection, email phishing awareness...) and adjust my behavior.

I wish it was different. Things were more secure with SNA, of course this conversation would not exist with an SNA network.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

That would have driven me mad too!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #15

I routinely get fake emails about Paypal and Apple. It is annoying for sure, but I've never changed my passwords because of these emails. They are like pests that won't go away, but I do absolutely nothing about them. I used to look at the sender's real email address to see who it actually came from, but I don't bother anymore.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
That would have driven me mad too!
I really didn't realize how crummy it is to have no internet for a period of time, until it happened to me. What to do? I couldn't even play games on my wi-fi iPad because most of the games demand an internet connection. I didn't have internet on my phone (which I hardly ever use), either, until I figured out that the problems was my settings. Frank's internet was out too, and he loves streaming movies but couldn't do that either.

So, we listened to podcasts that we had already downloaded (and had already listened to ), and I played a video game while he listened to his ham radio. I listened to OTA TV a little. We were having a hard freeze at the time, but I could not get further information on any of the news or weather stories on TV. Basic information and entertainment seemed awfully limited without internet.

I was so happy when it finally was restored.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's definitely not a panacea but I maintain a couple of email addresses and use different ones for different situations (correspondence with friends, contests, utility bills/accounts, app/forum accounts, etc) pending on the likelihood that it can get spammed, compromised, etc. It helps me parse through junk a bit better.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Probably not.
I w*rked in IT where many best praticices for security were required(lubes were not allowed onsite&#128513.
I don't mean to be flippant in my response,...
On the other hand, your skin must be like a baby covered in oil...
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I remember chain letters from my childhood days. I would be highly annoyed to receive one - with the manipulative message and sometimes ominous warnings. But I never participated because I didn’t like getting them, and I didn’t want to do that to someone else: “Copy this and send it to five people “ - yeah, right.

I think of those old days when I see manipulative Facebook shares passed on. Oh yeah, 10 or more years ago I might have gotten an email chain letter.

People seem quite happy to do those Facebook shares. They bug me and I wouldn’t touch them. Ugh!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I remember chain letters from my childhood days. I would be highly annoyed to receive one - with the manipulative message and sometimes ominous warnings. But I never participated because I didn’t like getting them, and I didn’t want to do that to someone else: “Copy this and send it to five people “ - yeah, right.

I think of those old days when I see manipulative Facebook shares passed on. Oh yeah, 10 or more years ago I might have gotten an email chain letter.

People seem quite happy to do those Facebook shares. They bug me and I wouldn’t touch them. Ugh!
Me either. I refused to perpetuate the chain letters, and I refuse now to respond to anybody trying to force me to participate on FB.