Join Early Retirement Today

IOT/Smart devices = FAIL
Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IOT/Smart devices = FAIL

Anyone else getting fed up with failures of electronics in everyday and new smart items? Whatever happened to a little simplicity?

Cars: biggest failure item is the convenience electronics. This has been discussed in the various car threads. Think: radio, navigation, screen info.

Appliances: what used to just have a switch or maybe a mechanical timer now has a circuit board with maybe a small display. Probably has bluetooth too so they can call it smart. When this stuff fails, the entire appliance is a brick.

Smart/IOT: all the new devices seem nice, but I'm not happy with their reliability. One example is my Ring Doorbell Pro. It lasted 1 1/2 years. There is an extensive discussion on Reddit on this. Seems that if the device gets a lot of heat or sun, the life is short. Uh, it is a doorbell. Outside. For many houses that means heat and sun. I just replaced the thing with a $7 old fashioned doorbell this morning. Not happy. And I'm not necessarily picking on Ring. Many IOT devices are not built for reliability, so everyone is cutting corners to compete with everyone else. I was thinking of replacing with Nest, but I'm not sure they have it right either. I may wait until these companies work out these issues.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #2

When we needed a new washer I picked the simplest one. I don’t need a bunch of fancy stuff I will never use.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When we needed a new washer I picked the simplest one. I donít need a bunch of fancy stuff I will never use.
Does it have a mechanical dial kind of control? Do they even make those anymore?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras
Smart/IOT: all the new devices seem nice, but I'm not happy with their reliability. One example is my Ring Doorbell Pro. It lasted 1 1/2 years. There is an extensive discussion on Reddit on this. Seems that if the device gets a lot of heat or sun, the life is short. Uh, it is a doorbell. Outside. For many houses that means heat and sun.
Interesting comment on the Ring doorbell. I have been thinking of one but so far have not bit. If this is common then I doubt I will get one.

I wonder what our members in places like Arizona, Texas, and Florida think of this device.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

It has 4 dials that you turn to what you want. I have had it 6 years now with no issues. I also didn’t want the water saver.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

One thing I'd surely not need is a smart fridge that shows me what's in the fridge through a smartphone app.

I'm old fashioned and still don't mind just opening the fridge door and taking a peek .
Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
Administrator

Our son put up his Christmas tree and lights a week or so ago. I told him that I had a spare timer if he wanted one. He told me that he was amazed to discover that the leaflet in the box told him he could download a free app to program the in-built timer and light patterns. The app uses bluetooth, and he had no idea that the lights, which were dead cheap and bought from our local bargain store, even had an in-built timer feature. Apparently the app works great.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
It's the new improved planned obsolescence.

Now with a little timer chip on the circuit board, they could have the device automatically stop working after 3 years, just in case you were lucky enough to buy one that lasted that long

How about cell phones, where they glue the battery inside on some models, after 2-3 years the battery sucks and people buy a new phone instead of a battery for $15.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #9

I have no desire for a smart doorbell. I do have a $25 Wyze camera mounted high up on one side of my front porch, pointed toward the front door. I get a notification on my smartphone any time it detects motion or sound. I can then watch a 12-second video clip, with free 14-day rolling cloud storage. It also records continuously onto a 32GB microSD, which stores about 3 days worth of HD video locally. It also has two-way audio and night vision capability. And it works with Alexa, so on our Fire TV, I just say, "Alexa, show front porch camera", and there it is. Technically, it's not rated for outdoor use, although I've got it under a covered porch. So we'll see. It's been working fine for several months now. For $25... you really can't go wrong with this stuff.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My complaint is that the replacement boards cost so much that it is cheaper to junk the appliance. I know the OEM cost was pennies, so why does a board have to cost a couple hundred bucks?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Does it have a mechanical dial kind of control? Do they even make those anymore?
I don't think so. Our "old school" washing machine died last night so went hunting around for a new "old school" top load washer. Yes, they have the "old school" dials on them, but they are electronic. If you want to try and put it through another rinse, or maybe another spin cycle...too bad...you have to run the cycle from the beginning. And this was on the cheapest model of the lot.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #12

Connecting a device to the internet doesn't make it better or worse. Junk devices are still junk, even if they talking to your phone.

The only internet-connected device I have purchased so far is a Nest thermostat. It does exactly what I need, and is well-made.

Instead of over-generalizing with "IOT/Smart devices = FAIL", you'd be better served by thinking "Junk devices = FAIL".
Old 12-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm more concerned with the security of these IOT/Smart devices. There have been several instances of hackers gaining access through these types devices.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Connecting a device to the internet doesn't make it better or worse. Junk devices are still junk, even if they talking to your phone.

The only internet-connected device I have purchased so far is a Nest thermostat. It does exactly what I need, and is well-made.

Instead of over-generalizing with "IOT/Smart devices = FAIL", you'd be better served by thinking "Junk devices = FAIL".
Well the Nest doorbell seems to have better ratings. The Ring Pro has had a recent design update from what people are reporting. I'm hoping they get all the bugs out.

What I don't like is previous quality appliances that have extra stuff added that may not only work, but can potentially bring the whole device down. Smart fridges and washers are in this camp for me.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When we needed a new washer I picked the simplest one. I donít need a bunch of fancy stuff I will never use.

LOL... my sister was giving me a long list of problems with the new, as she calls them 'Obama washers'... she said they do not put in enough water to wash... on her forum there was a big discussion and it seems that most people have started to put in a few gallons of water to get their clothes wet before turning on the washer...

Another great rule by gvmt that does not work well...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
LOL... my sister was giving me a long list of problems with the new, as she calls them 'Obama washers'............
Trying to sneak in politics in violation of the community rules by putting the onus on your sister?
Old 12-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #17

Wait, wait! Although the bluetooth and phone app for our 1 yr old Samsung don't work well, the top load HE washer does a good job. Surprisingly so with little water. Just wondering how long the display panel or sensors last though...
Old 12-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Trying to sneak in politics in violation of the community rules by putting the onus on your sister?

What she called them... BUT, I just looking and it seems that there was an agreement before Obama came into office but the newest ones just took effect in 2018...

Still, as my sister said, how much are you really saving when she has to add water herself and at times do the wash twice to get things clean...

She bought a top loader BTW...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Smart/IOT: all the new devices seem nice, but I'm not happy with their reliability. One example is my Ring Doorbell Pro. It lasted 1 1/2 years. There is an extensive discussion on Reddit on this. Seems that if the device gets a lot of heat or sun, the life is short. Uh, it is a doorbell. Outside. For many houses that means heat and sun. I just replaced the thing with a $7 old fashioned doorbell this morning. Not happy. And I'm not necessarily picking on Ring. Many IOT devices are not built for reliability, so everyone is cutting corners to compete with everyone else. I was thinking of replacing with Nest, but I'm not sure they have it right either. I may wait until these companies work out these issues.
Uh oh.
I have the Ring Doorbell purchased in July after dispute with neighbors.
The front door faces east.

What broke on your Ring Doorbell Pro?
The video camera?

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
LOL... my sister was giving me a long list of problems with the new, as she calls them 'Obama washers'... she said they do not put in enough water to wash... on her forum there was a big discussion and it seems that most people have started to put in a few gallons of water to get their clothes wet before turning on the washer...

Another great rule by gvmt that does not work well...
My regular washer that came with the new construction house lasted 6 years.
It was traditional top loader not HE made by GE.
Can't blame it on Obama!

My parents washer lasted 20 years.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote