Join Early Retirement Today

iPhone Input. 7 or 7 Plus !
Old 03-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

iPhone Input. 7 or 7 Plus !

Have had my iPhone 5s for quite some time and it is acting up, can't put it to sleep, turn off sometimes and I have to plug it in to get it to turn on. All minor problems but I know sooner or later I'm going to have to replace it. A friend of mine has an Iphone7 Plus, great looking phone but is rather large compared to my 5s. The regular iPhone 6 & 7s seem about the right size but the cost is not much cheaper than the Plus. Any thoughts on the size of the Plus, good bad or indifferent as compared to the size of the regular 6 or 7s ? Appreciate any and all comments in advance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #2

I am in favor of the smaller unit. I went from a 5s to an SE when work provided my phone and on retirement, I got a 6s. I'm very happy with it. I've handled the plus size units and to me, they're just to big to be a phone. More like a mini tablet. I put my phone in my shirt pocket (when I wear a flannel with pockets) and the 6s fits fine. It also fits well in my front pants pocket when I have no shirt pocket. I don't think one of the pluses would fit in the pocket well. Maybe for a woman who carries a purse and wants the larger screen size the pluses wouldn't be a problem to carry. Either way, the pluses are a bit big to hold up to your ear and you can't really operate them one handed.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

If money isn't an issue, the X is very nice. It's a great combination of physically not too big, but still has a pretty big screen. I like mine a lot and it's now my main book reader device (using Kindle app - plenty of text on each page). Face ID works very well and makes authentication even easier than Touch ID. And battery life is the best of any iPhone I've had - my old 6S+ was pretty good, this is better in that regard.

If money is a big issue and you can wait a few months, the rumor mill is saying there will be a iPhone SE upgrade. This should be a terrific small form factor iPhone if that's for you. I wouldn't get the current SE, it's getting long in the tooth and will soon be replaced.

Otherwise the middle of the road options - 6's,7's, or 8's - are still nice phones and I'd say this: If you replace phones often (doesn't sound like it if you still have a 5S, but anyway...) go cheap and get the 6S. It's a nice performance bump over the 5S you have. Then upgrade it again soonish.

If you like to keep your phone for longer time then get as much as you can afford now. Like an 8 or 7. These should stay "up-to-date" longer since the 6S is getting long in the tooth technology-wise.

My 2˘'s
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
gone traveling

You will hate the size of the 7+ if you like your 5s.
My suggestion would be: buy a used 5se from https://buy.gazelle.com/buy/used/iph...-64gb-unlocked
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought the 8 and I love it. I prefer the smaller size. I have my iPad for web surfing.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
If you like to keep your phone for longer time then get as much as you can afford now. Like an 8 or 7. These should stay "up-to-date" longer since the 6S is getting long in the tooth technology-wise.

My 2˘'s
One reason I got the 6 is because it's the last unit to have a headphone jack. I have wireless headphones, but I wasn't ready to give up the wires which I know to work very well. Also, the 6 was cheaper.

I'm not to worried about longevity. For what I use it for, it will be more than adequate for longer than the battery is likely to last, at which time I'll get a new one; 3-5 years.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You will hate the size of the 7+ if you like your 5s.
My suggestion would be: buy a used 5se from https://buy.gazelle.com/buy/used/iph...-64gb-unlocked
This may be a good option if cost is a high priority. However, I can tell you, having just switched from an SE to a 6s, I prefer the larger and better screen and I do not feel like the increase in physical size impacted me in the way I handle it. I wish I'd have upgraded sooner.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 7. Not sure the Plus fits as easily in a pocket? DD has a 7Plus and loves it but cracked the screen immediately—it’s a bit flexible.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

My 5S was acting up, so I took it to the apple store, they ran diagnostics, and gave me the option to change the battery for $89. (I am lucky I live near an apple store) That was 6 months ago and I have been very happy with it since then. I am now running iOS 11.2.5, which I upgraded to last month when I got an apple watch. It seems like iOS 11 and/or the watch is sucking down battery life more than before the upgrade, but it still lasts all day. YMMV
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

The difference in price between the 7 and the X is not very significant, considering how long you will likely keep it. I would not buy anything but the X at this point. It's the only iPhone that has a combination of good screen size but still small enough to hold comfortably in your hand.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had the same issues with my 5 about 3 months ago also. I opted for the 7s and seems to work for me. I don't change phones unless something major happen and starts to malfunction.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

3 weeks ago I upgraded my iPhone 6 to the iPhone 8 Plus model. My iPhone 6 was slowing (throttled?) to a near crawl and I thought the bigger screen would help my eyes. The size hasn't been an issue, although it did require me to find a different space in the car to place it when driving as its just slightly too big for the cup holder I used for my iPhone 6 when driving.

The big surprise has been the weight difference. This iPhone 8 plus seems to be as heavy as a brick. Yesterday I picked up up my wife's iPhone 6 and it felt nearly weightless in comparison!

I would have considered the iPhone X but there was something unsettling to me with the screen movement when I swiped "up" on the screen, and you have to swipe up a good bit on the iPhone X. And I was reluctant at that $1,000. price point.......
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote