Join Early Retirement Today

iWatch3
Old 10-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

iWatch3

I'm thinking of getting the iWatch3. What's cool about this new watch is it's not tethered to the phone, IOW, you don't have to have the phone nearby to make calls, text or transact business.

Here's my reasons to purchase:

1. Walk dogs, jog, cellular watch will allow phone calls and text.
2. Siri works well, can still look up stuff on google and works well at transcribing text messages.
3. Shop at places like Trader Joe's or restaurants using the Apple Pay. Download "Chipotle" app to pay.
4. For directions, the watch will vibrate when time to turn. How to know right or left, I'm not sure.
5. Also download app to phone to open garage door.
6. It also comes with built in flashlight.

There's so many other uses,--for exercise, listening to music, etc.. For me, just doing items above makes the watch worth it.

The downside is the battery life. But you can set the phone so that you can readily see remaining battery life. Charging appears to be a breeze.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #2

It's actually called Apple Watch, not iWatch.

I have the version 2 and love it.

All your positive points are true, but there is one downside you might not realize.
To use the cellular capability, the watch needs its own account. That's on top of whatever plan you have for the phone.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

With Verizon, the fee is an extra $10/month.

"It's actually called Apple Watch, not iWatch."

Thank you, I stand corrected.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I am looking at the Apple Watch 3 but not the LTE version, as a replacement for my Fitbit Flex. The GPS version will synch with my iPhone, which I’ll have with me anyway. The Apple store worker said that’s what she has. I’m looking forward to it.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So let me get this straight...first we wanted smart phones that could replace watches, cell phones etc as a result we got smart phones that fit in our pockets and had arm bands for jogging, activities etc. We then asked for bigger, more powerful smart phones to replace our tablets but now they're too big so we want a secondary phone/dumbed down smart phone that we can wear around our wrists? LOL

I kid I kid but sometimes I do wonder where we are all headed.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Pretty obvious, I would think:

borg1.jpg

borg2.jpg
Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

You're right, and it often reminds me of agent Smith's quote from the Matrix:

dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #8

I have the Series 3 with LTE and love it. But I love all Apple products, so maybe I’m not a good judge on this one.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
1. Walk dogs, jog, cellular watch will allow phone calls and text.
2. Siri works well, can still look up stuff on google and works well at transcribing text messages.
3. Shop at places like Trader Joe's or restaurants using the Apple Pay. Download "Chipotle" app to pay.
4. For directions, the watch will vibrate when time to turn. How to know right or left, I'm not sure.
5. Also download app to phone to open garage door.
6. It also comes with built in flashlight.
I am moving away from Apple products, partly because I feel like doing something different, and partly because recent prices infuriate me. It's not that I can't pay these prices, but more like I just refuse to pay that much. That's it, enough, Apple be gone! Or so I think. I reserve the right to change my mind next year after experiencing several months of Apple-free life; well, except my iPad.

I guess I could do some of those things with my (small, light) LG smartphone clipped to my waistband.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
With Verizon, the fee is an extra $10/month.

"It's actually called Apple Watch, not iWatch."

Thank you, I stand corrected.
So is T-mobile. Way too much imo.

I am quite happy with the phone tether. It does great as a phone companion and can still do quite a few things independently.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am considering an Apple Watch too. It would replace my Fitbit which I love....so, I haven’t decided yet.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I was very happy with the original Apple Watch replacing my Fitbit. It did so much more, and I didn't need a separate watch. I got very used to the iPhone integration- super handy.

Now I'm ready for some new features like built-in GPS, being waterproof, much faster.

I think the LTE version of the watch has some other desirable features. Both DH and I are considering getting the LTE version, but not turning on the additional data plan. So we'll use it tethered still for some functions.

DH does not have an Apple Watch yet - he's been waiting for this version.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You can always try a Filippo Loreti luxury smart watch on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...reti?ref=email
Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Purchased the Apple Watch 3 last weekend. Very pleased with it. Did not buy the cellular model as I always have my phone with me anyway. If you're out walking and leave phone in your vehicle, it will sync any activity changes with your phone when you come back into range. Absolutely no buyers remorse.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
So let me get this straight...first we wanted smart phones that could replace watches, cell phones etc as a result we got smart phones that fit in our pockets and had arm bands for jogging, activities etc. We then asked for bigger, more powerful smart phones to replace our tablets but now they're too big so we want a secondary phone/dumbed down smart phone that we can wear around our wrists? LOL

+1
Humorous and insightful.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am moving away from Apple products, partly because I feel like doing something different, and partly because recent prices infuriate me. It's not that I can't pay these prices, but more like I just refuse to pay that much. That's it, enough, Apple be gone! Or so I think. I reserve the right to change my mind next year after experiencing several months of Apple-free life; well, except my iPad.

I guess I could do some of those things with my (small, light) LG smartphone clipped to my waistband.
I like that blue text. Shows an independent spirit.

Well there is always the mix and match: Google phone, Apple iPad, Windows 10, Vivofit sports watch.

Currently dithering over the iPhone 8 Plus versus Google Pixel 2 XL.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I like that blue text. Shows an independent spirit.

Well there is always the mix and match: Google phone, Apple iPad, Windows 10, Vivofit sports watch.

Currently dithering over the iPhone 8 Plus versus Google Pixel 2 XL.
Thank you! It is all an attempt to keep my mind young and flexible since the rest of me is beginning to lose those traits.

I don't even wear a watch of any kind any more. I wore one every single day for 60 years without fail, from 1956 until 2016. And then my watch broke, and I know that younger generations don't wear them so I didn't buy another. Even though I no longer wear a watch, my left wrist still has that watchband dent in it.

In my case I have an Android (LG) phone, Apple iPad, Windows 10, Nintendo 3DSXL portable video game console that I just toss into my purse, and nothing more than a freckle on my wrist.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think the LTE version of the watch has some other desirable features. Both DH and I are considering getting the LTE version, but not turning on the additional data plan. So we'll use it tethered still for some functions.
I don't like paying the extra $10/month, but I like the fact that if I lose, forget, or break my phone, or it gets stolen, or the battery dies, I can still make and receive phone calls on my regular cell phone number, at least in the case of an emergency.

If you buy the LTE version, at least you have the option of turning on the service down the road. And you get 16GB of storage instead of 8GB. I'm not sure why they did that, but it's nice to have the extra storage to download your favorite music.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
If you buy the LTE version, at least you have the option of turning on the service down the road. And you get 16GB of storage instead of 8GB. I'm not sure why they did that, but it's nice to have the extra storage to download your favorite music.
Exactly. And who knows the data price might drop before too long. We were hoping for $5 or less. The Watch uses very little data.

And I get the impression that it won't be supported in Europe like our phones are, so it's pretty murky right now - let it settle out.

For me the biggest LTE benefit would be going to the pool or beach and leaving my phone safely at home/hotel.

Otherwise I'll always have my phone with me.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #20

Looks like some of you use it for exercise/health monitoring. How well does the built in heart rate monitor work? I've tried a couple fitness watches that measures your heart rate directly from the watch instead of getting a signal from a chest strap and they all were inaccurate when doing exercises with a lot of movement like running.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote