Landline Phones

We're also on a land line at home. We have spotty mobile service when at home, so the land line is there should an emergency arise.

Why does it bother people when others have landlines? I'm sure it's less than 50% who have a strong need for one due to poor cell service or other reasons, but who cares?

Hard to understand. Some people seem uncomfortable with not having 100% agreement. Almost seems like lack of confidence.

+1

I recently upgraded our landline phone. It gets more use than the cells. When tourists arrived this year it seems Verizon had miscalculated their ability to serve their customers. We didn't have cell phones for almost a month. Other hardware issues have taken our cells out for a week.

Our township was doing some minor road work and knocked out the land line. AT&T took more than two weeks to fix it. That convinced us that The Big T didn't place a high priority on its legacy customers anymore, so we added our home phone service to our Consumer Cellular package.

youbet wrote: “Wow! You were really getting ripped!“ referring to our $100 p/m AT&T LL service.

AT&T DID offer a no-frills copper line. MIL was in an assisted living center with a bare bones copper line...~$30 p/m with taxes and the Al Gore fees bur she could make local calls only within the same central office. long distance calls to her sons were $$. but since she literally made only 2 or 3 calls per year it worked fine for her. us? not so much.

BIL #1ives in Kalifornia, #2 lived in Springfield, my mom in Florida, sister in Chicago. our friends scattered throughout the burbs. i think they called that All Calling or something like it. then there’s call forwarding for when we travel, caller ID, call waiting while i was working, yadda yadda...the features that made modern life easier. with taxes and Al Gore fees we were just over $100 p/m.

a few years ago AT&T made it clear that they were wanting to dump their copper lines. Their U-Verse fiber optic service never quite made it to our neighborhood despite assurances that it was coming. a buddy in another part of town had the U-Verse service and did save some $ but not a huge amount.

we used to have minimal long distance service and used those pre-paid calling cards or those 10-10-xxx long distance services...remember them? that’s when AT&T fought back and introduced their All Calls service. a call to Honolulu was the same as calls to the guy next door. use it ir don’t...same flat fee.

VoIPs were introduced but i resisted them because of their, initial, inability to properly route 9-1-1 calls. i recall speaking with a VoIP rep at work one day who wanted to route ALL of his company’s 9-1-1 calls to our center. i declined the offer and explained how 9-1-1 selective routing needed to work.

VoIPs have come a long way since then so when we dumped our DSL line and switched to Comcast and found we could add their voice service for $7 p/m and correct 9-1-1 routing it was a no brainer. that was verified a couple of years ago when wife had a medical emergency and my call to 9-1-1 was properly routed. so between dumping AT&T, Earthlink DSL and bundling with Comcast we saved ~$1800 p/y.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom