Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My iPhone 6 died while I was taking a trip in my 30 yr old hobby car. I had to navigate from toll booth to toll booth. I bare remembered the address I was going to (only because I had to manually enter it into the GPS). I was also going to meet some friends for lunch but I didn’t have their numbers memorized. Never felt so helpless in all my life.
I understand that an old phone can be used to dial 911 even if you are not on a service plan.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Lets see, we have 4 iPhones and 4 iPads in my family of 5. Personally, I love having a smartphone and carry it when I'm out at all times.

We recently moved to the Comcast Xfinity Mobile plan (basically resold Verizon service) and its saving us some money. It's $12 per GB that we can all share with no device monthly fees (unless you purchase a new phone on a payment plan). (You have to be a Comcast customer to get these rates - but they're the only cable modem service in my part of town).
Firedafter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
My iPhone 6 died while I was taking a trip in my 30 yr old hobby car. I had to navigate from toll booth to toll booth. I bare remembered the address I was going to (only because I had to manually enter it into the GPS). I was also going to meet some friends for lunch but I didn’t have their numbers memorized. Never felt so helpless in all my life.
I understand that an old phone can be used to dial 911 even if you are not on a service plan.
I was in downtown Toronto for a financial meetup and my battery died. Could not remember the location but I knew one of the guys attending so I stopped in at a restaurant and asked the proprietor to call him! Disaster averted. I don't live in Toronto.

Yes we do develop a reliance on our devices.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

These stories are sad.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I retired. I decided that I wanted to live very rural in a lush forest. After so many years of being retired I can say that I have done this.

Being tethered to the internet is not a requirement for living in the woods.

In our township we have cell signal [most townships in this state do not have cell signal].

Inside my house I have wifi. [the only wifi that exists in my town is the wifi provided by homeowners in their homes].

This forum is about 'early retirement'. I worked out my path to supporting my family without any need for me to work, and I accomplished the quest at 42.

I do not see how any of this is improved upon by being connected 24/7.

After a bunch of years of being retired, I am finally learning to relax a bit. Yet in this thread the discussion sounds like it wants me to go back to work again.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

You are working, you're a farmer. I know, you just love it so it's not really work.

But everyone else in the world will tell you it's hard work. My buddy tells me his dad (farmer for life) has hands that will never be clean because the dirt has been tattooed in.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You are working, you're a farmer. I know, you just love it so it's not really work.

But everyone else in the world will tell you it's hard work. My buddy tells me his dad (farmer for life) has hands that will never be clean because the dirt has been tattooed in.
I am going through radiation treatment for my cancer this year. So this year, I am not doing anything on my farm, no livestock, no crops. Just living on my pension, and once or twice a week going down to my rental real estate to track what the contractors are doing.

My wife decided to run for an office as a state legislator, so I spend 10 hours a week driving her around for her door-to-door campaigning.

I am re-thinking the farming thing.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I retired 11 years ago, I planned to do a lot of traveling. If modern smartphones had been available then, I'm sure I would have bought one.

But, they weren't. And, life happened. Now I'm at home or at my kids. An old fashioned PC keeps me connected. I like the 22 inch screen I have at home.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
When I retired. I decided that I wanted to live very rural in a lush forest. After so many years of being retired I can say that I have done this.

Being tethered to the internet is not a requirement for living in the woods.

In our township we have cell signal [most townships in this state do not have cell signal].

Inside my house I have wifi. [the only wifi that exists in my town is the wifi provided by homeowners in their homes].

This forum is about 'early retirement'. I worked out my path to supporting my family without any need for me to work, and I accomplished the quest at 42.

I do not see how any of this is improved upon by being connected 24/7.

After a bunch of years of being retired, I am finally learning to relax a bit. Yet in this thread the discussion sounds like it wants me to go back to work again.
You make the false assumption (and arrogant?) that people with internet are "tethered" to it 24/7.

Internet is connected 24/7...so it's there whenever a person wants it. It's not a leash.

You somehow managed to reply to this thread, so you do use the internet, even if it's rare. If you're not paying for it, then you're just piggybacking on someone else's dime....and then lecturing us while doing that.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
You make the false assumption (and arrogant?) that people with internet are "tethered" to it 24/7.

Internet is connected 24/7...so it's there whenever a person wants it. It's not a leash.

You somehow managed to reply to this thread, so you do use the internet, even if it's rare. If you're not paying for it, then you're just piggybacking on someone else's dime....and then lecturing us while doing that.
I have internet access in my home. I have never said otherwise.

Looking around it is obvious that people with smartphones are tethered to them.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Offgrid . People are addicted to their smartphones. I have some "friends" in their 70s who are so addicted to their smartphone that it is impossible to have an actual face to face conversation with them. I think it is incredible rude to be having dinner with someone who is constantly checking their smartphone. What is so important that it can't wait until after the meal is finished?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 PM   #52

Dinner with friends:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nintchdbpict000292248401.jpg (99.8 KB, 38 views)
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Also dinner with friends:

dinner.jpg
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I think it is incredible rude to be having dinner with someone who is constantly checking their smartphone. What is so important that it can't wait until after the meal is finished?
Off topic but...

FIW, I don't have dinner with such people nor have much else to do with them now that I am Fire'd and have a choice. I would not have dinner with a person who smoked and blew the smoke in my face. Having a cell phone and being on it constantly is like blowing smoke in the other person's face, IMHO.

Back on topic......

I live near a 'big city' and while there are people who are obviously over doing their phone activity, most are not. That is my empirical study. Take it or leave it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you don't have the desire or need for a smartphone that's fine. I just got my first one at 64 and I can assure you I'm not tethered to it. Now if someone was raised with such poor manners that a cellphone takes priority over a real person that's another issue.

I have a BIL and DS who have perfect manners and 6 kids between them. Once we were eating together with 3 of the kids and the little farts were texting each other at the table. All you could see were the top of their heads,I asked my sister, Is this OK with you and she just shrugged.. one of these kids sent me a Thank you note for a HS graduation gift and the card was completely blank, he didn't even sign his name.. I guess he should have just sent me a text...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #56

I don't have or need one. DW's is used as a camera 95%, texting 4% and phone calls 1%(to my flip phone).
Old 07-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I am amazed when I look at random people or groups of people how many are “on the phone” but it’s a far cry (arrogance?) to assume anyone with a smartphone is tethered to it, esp those of us that predate the technology.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #58

I have a smartphone for the podcasts. I can listen to them while I walk or drive. If not using it for podcasts, 80% of the time, I leave it at home. At home I'll use it to google information like, will my dog die if he ate chocolate? Or how old is Clint Eastwood? Or how many Oscars did Meryl Streep win? Important stuff like that.

I would never ever bring it to dinner or to a friends house. How often is there such an emergency that cannot wait a few hours?

Actually, I will use it to check Amazon prices vs Walmart vs Sams Club when I shop, but not too often. I have very limited data since DH and me pay (for both lines) $39.00 with consumer cellular.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #59

A basic Android smartphone is virtually free. There are numerous options in the $10 to $50 range. Your plan does not have to have data. You can just use/not use the apps and features on Wi-Fi.

We made it up to the late 90s with no such thing as smartphones. So they certainly aren't required. They sure are handy at times though.

Now, buying a $900 flagship phone every 2 years might not be the best move or having a $100 big data plan to go with. We have a 5 phone/unlimited data/calls/texts plan at Cricket Wireless for $125/month. $25/line is in my "reasonable" category. Could it be zero? I'm sure it could.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have yet to notice that I have a Smartphone need. When (if?) I later decide that I need one, there are several local options that I have to obtain one.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote