Join Early Retirement Today

Living without a smartphone
Old 07-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Living without a smartphone

...becoming more difficult.

doors are closing and life becoming more difficult to navigate.

from "The Free Dictionary"

Quote:
be the last person
be the last person (to do something)
to be the most unlikely person of whom one could think in a particular situation; to be the most unlikely person to do something. (Also literal.) Mary is the last person you should ask to chair the meeting—she's so shy.
See also: last, person
So... the last person who doesn't use a smartphone.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don’t understand...living without a smartphone
Does not compute.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how else would you get all the robo calls?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #4

Don't have one, don't want one.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

My current smartphone died, more or less, two days ago. Charging system sometimes works, sometimes totally discharges battery (already replaced the battery but didn't help).

Resurrected my previous smart phone but it won't connect to wi-fi anymore and has limited app storage. Primarily now for phone and text.

Haven't decided next move yet. May shop in the $200-250 range for unlocked GSM phone but in no particular hurry. I may decide to buy DW a new smart phone (more like $500 for her) and I'll use hers until it dies. Among the four of us, I'm the most tolerant of having old stuff.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Haven't decided next move yet. May shop in the $200-250 range for unlocked GSM phone...
Assuming you're talking Android, here is a less costly ($130) option: https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

I've had this phone for several months and been pleasantly surprised at its performance.

Or, if you are an Amazon Prime fan, this Moto G6 Play is available for $190: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YTK8XV
Old 07-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #7

We bought Alcatel Pixie phones from TracFone for $99 each, and are happy with them and the service
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

No smartphone, don't plan to get one.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #9

Since I am retired and spend most of my time at home, there is no need for a smart phone as most things can be done on the computer. Yes no deposit of checks etc. Actually because my car has on-star I don't take my flip phone with me around town, on-star can call for help if needed.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

The most difficult thing I would have to deal with if I gave up my smart phone is the ability to use my phone for navigation. It's so nice to be able to get voice commands as you're driving. Sure, you could get a dedicated GPS but that wouldn't solve the next issue - looking things up when you're away from home. We just got back from a short trip and it was very helpful to be able to find the places we needed to go and then to just plug the address into the phone and go.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

I have a cell phone without internet service. Just calls and texts. I don't think that qualifies as a smartphone (which must be connected to internet service, from I gather, to be "smart"). I guess I have a dumbphone.

I feel like I have to have at least a dumbphone, for emergencies and for people who insist on texting.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #12

How do you non-smartphone folks call for Uber or equivalent if needed?
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have asked myself many times if I really need one. Then when I think of all the things I use it for I just can't give it up. The pluses for me out weighs the negatives by a lot.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
No smartphone use???
Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

No smartphone use???

My ROMEO group, about 15 retired guys over 70, (well maybe a couple around 65) all have smart phones. Many have iPhones (mostly 6 or 6S) and their DW's have the same. My DW uses a 6S+ and also an Ipad. It seems like we all text a lot and use the internet for navigation and weather forecasts. A few guys also use their smartphones to order stuff off Amazon and other sites.

Pretty much all of use use e-mail and we have a group e-mail set up on GMail.

I use an LG Nexus 5X and some other guys use MotoG's. I really don't understand the avoidance of using this great technology unless people just aren't out very much or just don't care to spend money on the cell services available.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
how else would you get all the robo calls?
I just give out my cheap land line # for those & they get blocked.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
How do you non-smartphone folks call for Uber or equivalent if needed?
Simple where I live they don't provide service (to far in the boones for them).
Old 07-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
The most difficult thing I would have to deal with if I gave up my smart phone is the ability to use my phone for navigation. It's so nice to be able to get voice commands as you're driving. Sure, you could get a dedicated GPS but that wouldn't solve the next issue - looking things up when you're away from home. We just got back from a short trip and it was very helpful to be able to find the places we needed to go and then to just plug the address into the phone and go.

Actually On-Star and equivalents provide this as an option (like $3 a month additional)
Old 07-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually On-Star and equivalents provide this as an option (like $3 a month additional)
We have a Mazda CX-5 with built in nav. No smartphone needed
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My ROMEO group, about 15 retired guys over 70, (well maybe a couple around 65) all have smart phones. Many have iPhones (mostly 6 or 6S) and their DW's have the same. My DW uses a 6S+ and also an Ipad. It seems like we all text a lot and use the internet for navigation and weather forecasts. A few guys also use their smartphones to order stuff off Amazon and other sites.

Pretty much all of use use e-mail and we have a group e-mail set up on GMail.

I use an LG Nexus 5X and some other guys use MotoG's. I really don't understand the avoidance of using this great technology unless people just aren't out very much or just don't care to spend money on the cell services available.

I agree. I can’t imagine not having my smartphone. Every day I use many features on it - internet searches, Waze for traffic navigation, texting/calling, using various apps, games or reading or checking the news or social media if I’m stuck in a waiting room, etc. But I know there are tons of technological advances available that I’m not using that 20 somethings can’t imagine not having, like Snapchat.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:27 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

no smartphone
my flip phone is amazingly durable, pantech
I know it will die eventually
have only had to replace the battery once in 12 yrs of use, and that was about 18 months ago
I can get the 'net on it, if I want to check news or the market
Have never used Uber or Lyft
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote