Join Early Retirement Today

Looking to ditch rented modem and purchase my own. Need advice
Old 12-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

As my cable provider, I have Comcast Xfinity and starting in January, they are raising the price for modem rental to $13/month. I decided it may be wise to purchase. I AM NOT TECH SAVVY, but is all I have to do is purchase a compatible modem and then have Comcast activate it, correct?

Will Comcast give me any issues? i would like to know anyone's experience with this and if purchasing one makes sense. I use the internet for web browsing, watching videos. I am not into game playing, sharing photos etc, so I would also like to get any info on what type of modem would be best.

I just have a desk top and no other devices.

Thanks

petestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your cable provider should have a list of compatible modems on their website. Just buy one of them at Amazon and turn in your old rental modem. There's nothing to it, although you'll probably have to call them to let their system recognize it.

Here's a typical one:
https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboa...dp_ob_title_ce

Old 12-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’m not currently a Comcast customer but was in my former home. I bought my own cable modem and had no trouble using it (no hassle from Comcast about not renting one from them).

I think buying your own modem is a very smart thing to do and pays for itself in about a year.

I’m now with Spectrum and use an Arris brand modem.

You’re right, you’ll have to have them activate it. For that, you’ll need the modem’s “MAC address”, which should be clearly labeled on the device and box.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by petestan View Post
As my cable provider, I have Comcast Xfinity and starting in January, they are raising the price for modem rental to $13/month. I decided it may be wise to purchase. I AM NOT TECH SAVVY, but is all I have to do is purchase a compatible modem and then have Comcast activate it, correct?

Will Comcast give me any issues? i would like to know anyone's experience with this and if purchasing one makes sense. I use the internet for web browsing, watching videos. I am not into game playing, sharing photos etc, so I would also like to get any info on what type of modem would be best.

I just have a desk top and no other devices.

Thanks
Easy peasy. Type "xfinity modem" into the search bar of your favorite retailer. Find one with good reviews on sale. Should cost between $60 and $120. Buy. Spend an hour or so following the easy directions. Save $150/year.

BTW, I put a timer on my router. Off for 3 minutes every night at 3:00 am. Routers tend to get wonky every once in a while. Resetting every night helps minimize any inconvenience during the day.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have had my own cable modem for a few years. No issue with comcast or wow, both were happy and eager to have me as a customer with my own modem. (Saves me about $156/yr )

As said, do look up the compatible types for your service speed as some only go up to 100 Gpbs.

They will probably want you to phone in and tell them the mac address of the modem you connect (which is on a label on the device).
Old 12-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Agree with others, easy and will save you lots of $$$ over the years.

"They will probably want you to phone in and tell them the mac address of the modem you connect (which is on a label on the device)."

This might vary depending on carrier and area. IIRC, when we did this with DD, the system saw the new modem as an unauthorized modem, and took us to an authentication page. I think it was just a matter of entering the account number and such, and she was on line. EZ.

One minor catch though. She got a modem only, it did not include wi-fi, she has her own wi-fi router. I told her to keep things simple during the authentication, and plug her laptop directly into the Ethernet port of the modem (avoiding potential wi-fi complications).

That was fine, until she plugged in the wi-fi router. The system then saw the MAC address of the router, but it wanted to see the MAC address of the system it authenticated with (her laptop).

Fortunately, this is a simple fix, you tell the router to 'clone' the MAC address of the laptop (or enter it manually). That got her going, no problems since.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Appreciate it. Will definitely purchase.
petestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Administrator

Providing your own modem is a good idea. If the price is not unreasonable look for Docsis 3.1 compatibility.

Your needs at home don’t really matter. Comcast requires you to have a modem that supports whatever level of service they are currently providing, even if you don’t use or need it. Once your modem falls behind, which it will, Comcast will refuse to provide technical internet support until you upgrade.

This is not a reason to get a Comcast modern, just be aware that when you least expect it, you’ll have to upgrade, even if your then-current modem works.

There’s another good reason to not use a Comcast modern. It uses that modem to offer hotspots without your persuasion.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm a comcast customer and 3 years ago I dumped the rental and bought my own stuff. I was reluctant at first as I'm not super tech savvy but this was easy to do. I bought a Netgear CM400 modem and a TP-Link AC1750 router. Probably more up to date equipment now but this combo still works flawlessly. Take a look at the Cord Cutting group on Facebook as they're a good source of equipment ideas. That's where I got my ideas from.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CordCuttingTechSupport
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I too bought an Arris modem some months back and it works well. The payback time is not too long.

Some years back I bought a Motorola surfboard modem. It worked well but then some months down the line (maybe 8 months) I had intermittent problems. Very frustrating to analyze. Never got that problem worked out but it went away with a Comcast modem which they forgot to charge me for. Then they started charging and I so bought the Arris modem.

So things can go wrong beyond the Amazon return date but probably will not.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #11

Funny, I got an e-mail from Comcast yesterday, asking me to "update" my modem. No cost to upgrade, and they will waive shipping and handling. Just click here!

No information about what make or model they intend to send me, but it will come with a self install kit. Thanks, but this will entail a trip to the local waiting room (Comcast service office) to find out what they want to send me and how much they are raising the rental rate. No point in calling the customer service folks in Asia for this issue.

I would buy one, but would rather be able to blame them for anything that goes wrong. I was reading reviews at Best Buy, and apparently at least one model that is supposed to work with Comcast doesn't. Overpaying for a modem rental is just a cost of doing business with Comcast for me.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #12

CraigsList is your friend.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

There's no reason at all to continue renting a Commie modem. The modem you buy pays itself off in a year or less.

Since I can see the Comcast HQ built with consumer dollars, on a clear day, I am reminded how much I was overcharged in the past 15-20 years. So we took matters in our own hands and bought a Motorola Surfboard a few years ago.

Xfinity has forums, and that is where you can find consumer info and feedback on what works, what might not, etc.

Since the modem may not have built-in routing, be sure to understand the features of your wireless router. An older router may need to be replaced.

Of course, if you want to continue paying more, and let Commie use your box to provide a free hotspot to others, be my guest.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
….

I would buy one, but would rather be able to blame them for anything that goes wrong. I was reading reviews at Best Buy, and apparently at least one model that is supposed to work with Comcast doesn't. Overpaying for a modem rental is just a cost of doing business with Comcast for me.

Ditto for us. One or more of our cable boxes or modem fails at least yearly, and we stroll into the office which is < 1 mile from our house, and they give us a new & improved model. DH watches a LOT of television and has less than zero patience for technological issues so paying the Comcast bill each month is worth it to me. YMMV

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Ditto for us. One or more of our cable boxes or modem fails at least yearly, and we stroll into the office which is < 1 mile from our house, and they give us a new & improved model. DH watches a LOT of television and has less than zero patience for technological issues so paying the Comcast bill each month is worth it to me. YMMV
And that is exactly what I am going to do tomorrow. Although it's a lot more than a mile away...
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Xfinity has a great site on this topic and lets you put in the device you are looking at to make sure it is on their compatibility list.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...d-cable-modems
eroscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We are buyers, not renters. That said, we've probably spent as much or more than renting because we've changed internet providers several times and - surprise! - the new provider typically doesn't play well with the not-very-old modem/router.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #18

I’d forgotten about the router/wifi piece of the picture until reading other replies. I’ve always used separate modem and router (maybe an attitude held over from the component home stereo days).

The OP mentioned only having a desktop, no other devices. The cable companies seem to want to use modem/router combos, which I believe are often called “gateways”. I’m never sure if they use customers’ home equipment for their “hot spots”, but gateways may make that easier for them.

If one buys a modem and separate router these days, it (the router) should be a dual-band system supporting 5GHz wifi, needed for the faster 802.11ac. They’ve been around for a while.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We also always used separate modem and router.
I like that I can upgrade one without bothering the other.

I've changed my router a number of times without comcast/WOW even knowing about it.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

If you use your current rented cable modem to provide you WiFi in your house you will have to reconfigure the new one. I'd actually suggest using a separate wireless router for your WiFi network in your home as the standalone wifi routers often provide a better wireless network for your house. You could even get one of the new mesh like wireless setups like the Lynksys Veloop or Netgear's version.

Just make the new wireless network have the same name (SSID) as your old and most things should still just connect.

Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote