Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Low cost streaming options for broadcast channels
Old 05-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Administrator

Low cost streaming options for broadcast channels

Not wanting to disrupt the “Cord cutting cable TV” thread for a simple question.
What are the low cost streaming options for local broadcast TV channels?

We’re headed out for our season dislocation and recently in one of the threads on cable I learned that I can stream our Comcast channels (which our HOA pays), minus the local broadcast, so all we would need would be the local broadcast channels. We’ve used PSVue and DirecTV Now, just wondering if there are any lower cost options.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This is the best source I've found to answer your question: https://www.suppose.tv/tv
Old 05-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is the best source I've found to answer your question: https://www.suppose.tv/tv
Interesting link, sure makes it easy to compare the different packages.

The only time we really look at the locals is when DW wants to see the weather. Maybe she’ll get by with the CBS all access.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not wanting to disrupt the “Cord cutting cable TV” thread for a simple question.
What are the low cost streaming options for local broadcast TV channels?

We’re headed out for our season dislocation and recently in one of the threads on cable I learned that I can stream our Comcast channels (which our HOA pays), minus the local broadcast, so all we would need would be the local broadcast channels. We’ve used PSVue and DirecTV Now, just wondering if there are any lower cost options.
A free option for local broadcast stations would be to use a small flat antenna and your TV's digitial tuner. In Florida, we use that for back-up in the event our HOA cable service goes down. We get CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, ION, PBS in HD and about 26 other stations that are pretty useless. The picture is actually better than the cable feed. Go to

https://antennaweb.org/

to determine what stations are available to you and what type of antenna you need.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

I haven't cut the cord yet, but I seem to recall that some of the services' fine print indicated they might limit you to what is physically local to you based on your IP address. Or not - I'm just suggesting you check or hopefully others more knowledgable than I will chime in.

If all you want is the local news from home that might be available for streaming online from your local stations' web sites. My favorite local news has a livestream for free, for example.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

This article on the subject is almost a year old, but maybe it's still useful:

https://ting.com/blog/best-streaming-tv-service-travel/
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
A free option for local broadcast stations would be to use a small flat antenna and your TV's digitial tuner. In Florida, we use that for back-up in the event our HOA cable service goes down. We get CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, ION, PBS in HD and about 26 other stations that are pretty useless. The picture is actually better than the cable feed. Go to

https://antennaweb.org/

to determine what stations are available to you and what type of antenna you need.
+1
Our Over The Air tv stations are all HD, except one.
We use a roof top antenna (the old kind) as it was on the house already, it works great.
I've even read how a person can make a flat antenna out of metal coat hangers
Old 05-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
.... We’re headed out for our season dislocation and recently in one of the threads on cable I learned that I can stream our Comcast channels (which our HOA pays), minus the local broadcast, so all we would need would be the local broadcast channels. We’ve used PSVue and DirecTV Now, just wondering if there are any lower cost options.
Thanks for the tip. I was somewhat unaware of Xfinity Stream... I couldn't find the app for my Fire TV so I ignored it.... but I can pull it up on my laptop (or phone or tablet) and cast it to out HDTV using Chromecast.... can access everything I can in Sarasota other than locals.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Thanks for the tip. I was somewhat unaware of Xfinity Stream... I couldn't find the app for my Fire TV so I ignored it.... but I can pull it up on my laptop (or phone or tablet) and cast it to out HDTV using Chromecast.... can access everything I can in Sarasota other than locals.
That post made me check. Based on this, it looks like the Comcast app needs a Roku. Great! We have a Fire TV.
Quote:
Customers can also access their subscription on the TV via the Xfinity Stream app for Roku devices and Samsung smart TVs (and soon LG and Sony smart TVs as well)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If you check the internet there is a way to install Xfinity Stream going around the Fire TV app store using Downloader or ES File... I installed it an it loaded but the Fire TV remote couldn't control it at all... so it is useless... I suppose that is why it isn't available through the Fire TV app store... so I uninstalled it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote