MacOS Catalina

I saw people selling the license key on Ebay. Assuming this is legal, where does one get the actual software?

From MS. They have a site that lets you download an .iso image, so it is totally safe. All you get from the eBay people is the license key and an email I’d that lets you register the license.

From MS. They have a site that lets you download an .iso image, so it is totally safe. All you get from the eBay people is the license key and an email I’d that lets you register the license.

If you buy these keys (one I saw was from Ukraine) you are effectively stealing the license.

I sold software for a living. Somehow corporations always seemed to “rationalize” their theft. We called it compliance.

I heard all the excuses from we already pay you so much to we didn’t know it was deployed on all our users workstations.

Software licenses are NEVER transferable. The license is for the original user.

If how they are getting these keys is thru the ms developer program by all means jump thru the hoops to be entitled to an ms developer license. It’s a fair amount of time and effort. They will then send you your own key, for FREE.

Just don’t kid yourself that you are not stealing software if you buy one of these 5 buck licenses. Some people are ok with that, I am not.

The usual reason to upgrade is improved security.

+ 1

My main reason is improved security. Apple stops providing updates, even security updates, after an os is over 3 years old.

I’m in the process of upgrading now, although tend to stick a 6-12 months from the bleeding edge. So it’s Mojave for now.

We also run an internet security package (software firewall and antivirus), free courtesy xfinity. AT&T does the same. It does occasionally pick stuff up, but not as often as in my old PC Windows days.

Anyone else run antivirus on MacOS??

If you buy these keys (one I saw was from Ukraine) you are effectively stealing the license.

Just don’t kid yourself that you are not stealing software if you buy one of these 5 buck licenses. Some people are ok with that, I am not.

+ 1

I feel you. Not a big fan of this, although I know people who do this. Big issue with Adobe creative suit (Photoshop and the like).

As for MS Office, I lust us Libre. Honestly, I like MS better, but not enough to subscribe or steal it. I’m a lightweight user though.

With Libre, it’s nice to be able to upgrade for free occasionally to keep up with new MacOS.

Nope.

I just keep everything updated and that includes the latest security updates from Apple.

That’s what I’m doing. I get the vendor updates from Apple and Microsoft (for Windows 10 in a VM).

I don’t have any idea but I wonder if people whose computer use is mainly restricted to a controlled home environment (like is possible for retirees) are less susceptible to infections than those regularly using workplace networks? Like exposure to colds/flu brought home from school/work?

I think you can never be totally insulated but less so.

[ADDED] I also regularly check for and install router firmware updates.

Last edited:
Just saw an alert that there can be issues with Apple Mail losing/corrupting messages in Catalina.

From http://tidbits.com

"Michael Tsai, the developer of the long-standing SpamSieve plug-in for Mail on the Mac, has written a blog post warning about potential Mail-related data loss when upgrading to macOS 10.15 Catalina. In particular, he’s hearing from numerous customers that updating Mail’s data store from Mojave to Catalina sometimes says that it succeeded, when in fact, large numbers of messages turn out to be incomplete or missing entirely. Plus, moving messages between mailboxes on the Mac can delete message bodies, leaving only headers. If you moved the message to a mailbox on the IMAP server, other devices see it as deleted, and that deletion status eventually syncs back to the original Mac, where the message disappears as well."

I'm going to follow my normal practice of waiting for the x.1 release and even then waiting a few weeks in case there's a x.1.1 or x.1.2.

There has already been a supplemental (unnumbered) release, to take care of the installation problems some have experienced.

The dot one release is in beta now.

My Catalina install took several hours. I don't know if it is Catalina or the "Cleanmymac" cleanup that I did, but My computer is a lot faster now.

But:

I no longer have the MS Office suite - as others have posted about.

My Fujitsu Scansnap software is out of date and won't work.

I can't send photos through iMessage

Last edited:
Just saw an alert that there can be issues with Apple Mail losing/corrupting messages in Catalina.

Interesting. I’ve been trying to learn to like Mail on MacOS but mostly stay away. My day-to-day email use is on iOS and that also has quirks.

My favorite mail client to date was Thunderbird but I’ve stopped using it since migrating from Windows. I currently have no machines running Linux and can’t recall what I used.

Interesting. I’ve been trying to learn to like Mail on MacOS but mostly stay away. My day-to-day email use is on iOS and that also has quirks.

My favorite mail client to date was Thunderbird but I’ve stopped using it since migrating from Windows. I currently have no machines running Linux and can’t recall what I used.

You can run Thunderbird on your Mac.

I'm going to follow my normal practice of waiting for the x.1 release and even then waiting a few weeks in case there's a x.1.1 or x.1.2.
Same here. But I get the mildly annoying daily reminder from Apple to upgrade. Is there a way to turn that off or set it to "don't remind me for x days"?

If you click on the Advanced... button in the Software Update System Preference there is a Check for updates item. Unchecking that should get it to stop checking for them.

You can run Thunderbird on your Mac.

That’s true and a good suggestion. In my efforts to keep external software installed on the Mac to a minimum I decided against installing Thunderbird.

I had/have a lot of Thunderbird email retained in backups from older machines and am slowly importing them into Apple Mail. So far it seems to have worked but I don’t know if/how the possible corruption issue mentioned a few posts ago in this thread may have affected that. In practice, I rarely want to look at email from the turn of the century though.

[ADDED] While I seem to be pretty successful in minimizing external software installed on the Mac, I make up for it with apps on the i{Phone,Touch}. [emoji4]

Last edited:
There has already been a supplemental (unnumbered) release, to take care of the installation problems some have experienced.

The dot one release is in beta now.

I got this supplemental update today. I don’t know if it fixed anything relative to me but I’m not a wizard user. It did require signing in to iCloud and asked if I wanted to enable Keychain (no).

I upgraded to Catalina a couple days ago. No issues so far. BTW, do any of you know how to get your icons on your Macbook desktop? I see them on the dock across the bottom but would like some of them on my desktop to look like my iPad. Thanx!

I upgraded to Catalina a couple days ago. No issues so far. BTW, do any of you know how to get your icons on your Macbook desktop? I see them on the dock across the bottom but would like some of them on my desktop to look like my iPad. Thanx!

If you mean your applications, that's easy. Go to your Applications folder and drag the one you want to your desktop. The Finder will make an alias of it for you. The original app will stay in your Applications folder.

If you mean your applications, that's easy. Go to your Applications folder and drag the one you want to your desktop. The Finder will make an alias of it for you. The original app will stay in your Applications folder.

Thank you! I am a long time PC user. I bought a Mac for my retirement so I can learn something new...

Thank you! I am a long time PC user. I bought a Mac for my retirement so I can learn something new...

I did the same thing 6 years ago. Not sure I learned many new things however, as when it comes to the Mac several things still mystify me.

Also try pressing the F4 key (if your keyboard has it). This will fade in all your app for easy access.

Any comments on performance of Catalina on a MBA of 2014 vintage, with 8GB and a 1.7GHz i7, by chance?

Back
Top Bottom