Join Early Retirement Today

macOS High Sierra Upgrade
Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
gone traveling

macOS High Sierra Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded yet to macOS High Sierra, and if so, how did the upgrade go (problems/benefits)?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Has anyone upgraded yet to macOS High Sierra, and if so, how did the upgrade go (problems/benefits)?
I upgraded to High Sierra a few days ago on my MacBook Pro and all went fine, can't really tell any difference. I upgraded primarily to get the security upgrade.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
There were no issues during my upgrade. I have not tried to "find" issues after so take that for what it is. As my devices (1 iPhone, 3 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, 1 iMac) are not mission critical, I usually apply all upgrades and version releases immediately.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Did it about ten days ago. Smooth and quick, no problems at all. I did have to update a few programs to make them compatible, but they were all free upgrades.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I encountered no problems.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No problems here.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (the second small "bug fix" release of it) should be out shortly - beta 4 dropped today for developers and I expect 10.13.2 will be released for everyone shortly - probably alongside the release of the iMac Pro (promised by year end).

The biggest change introduced in High Sierra is the long awaited new File System APFS. iOS has been using it since iOS 10 last year and it's quite solid. Apple forces an upgrade from HFS to APFS if your systems disk is a SSD, otherwise you'll still be on HFS. I love APFS for lots of technical reasons, but most people won't really noticed the difference except that they'll have more free disk space.

Other changes in High Sierra are slight on the surface(Mail, Photos, Safari all got a bit better), but lots of plumbing upgrades. Besides APFS there was a lot of work on the graphics subsystems such as Metal 2, AR/VR support, etc.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

DH has not installed it on anything yet because we have too much that doesn't run on it.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #8

I had problems after I upgraded from Sierra. High Sierra killed AIM on my computer but it was time
to get rid of that anyway. I also still have a problem with a slow boot up. Currently at
10.13.1 version and it still boots slowly. I have a SSD and it used to boot 3 times faster.
I was hoping the updates would fix it but I guess it's time do a clean install.
Here is a good resource for High Sierra problems on the Macintouch website.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
gone traveling

1. Update all your software except for the OS.
2. Reboot.
3. Update to High Sierra.
4. Repeat #1
5. Repeat #2
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

No problems for me. I upgraded yesterday and everything seems to be working fine.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I upgraded soon after it became publicly available. To date, no issues whatsoever.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I upgraded to High Sierra, but had problems.

The install hung up, and I had to restart in Internet recovery mode. Went through that and then installed a new os in disk utility. That went well.

I'm trying to clear up a nagging problem where safari sometimes goes to a "fix this mac " site or "flash player out of date" warning when I enter an internet address in Safari.

High Sierra did not fix this problem, so I still need to find a fix.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm trying to clear up a nagging problem where safari sometimes goes to a "fix this mac " site or "flash player out of date" warning when I enter an internet address in Safari.
That looks like messages from bad web sites trying to get you to download malware. Avoid those sites?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:20 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That looks like messages from bad web sites trying to get you to download malware. Avoid those sites?
Somehow i must have acquired a virus from one of those malware sites. I found Diskwarrior online. Bought it, installed it, and it did not cure the Safari redirects to "Flash player out of date" or to apple support. Diskwarrior did however clean up my drives making the mac faster.

I loaded High Sierra and the malware redirects continued. I downloaded and installed "malwarebytes" based on some online research and it appears that it solved my problem. No more redirects.
Normal
Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
gone traveling

Normal

Quote:
it did not cure the Safari redirects to "Flash player out of date"
If your version of flash player is old, then you will get this message.
Not malware, but informational.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
True, but mine was up to date. (found that out later). I also got redirects to an Apple support page.

I learned to always check Adobe - Flash Player
it will give a pop up if the computer's version of flash is up to date. If it is, never click on an ad to download.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #17

I upgraded the first day High Sierra was available. It was simple, and no issues since. I can't say I really notice any difference though.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No, there are definitely malware update flash messages on web sites. The Equifax site even got hacked with it.

Best to not use flash anyway. Full of security holes. Uninstall it.

Quote:
True, but mine was up to date. (found that out later). I also got redirects to an Apple support page.

I learned to always check Adobe - Flash Player
it will give a pop up if the computer's version of flash is up to date. If it is, never click on an ad to download.
Exactly!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #19

I know there are still a few (very few) legitimate uses for Flash in browsers, but seriously, stop using flash if you can.

Adobe has will has announced it's end of life is 2020 "we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020".
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #20
gone traveling

The reason I pause on installing is when I upgraded to Sierra, it wiped out many of my Apple Mail emails which I was not able to recover as I had no backup at that time. It also seems that the boot time slowed on my mac. I have Malwarebytes installed and it doesn't detect any problems.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote