Join Early Retirement Today

Microsoft OneDrive
Old 01-30-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Microsoft OneDrive

I bought a new window 10 laptop back in the summer. I've found when I download photos from my phone into my picture file they are also stored on OneDrive. If I delete them from OneDrive, they disappear from my picture file. I transferred a lot of photos from my old laptop to the new one, totally filled up the OneDrive and then I got message from Microsoft that I need to purchase more space. I didn't purchase any to start with and don't want their 'space'.

Any documents I save also go to OneDrive. How can I stop this?
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

Unlink it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5e1af58?auth=1
Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do all new computers with Windows 10 come preset to transfer your files to a drive outside your control? Is there a forever block of such behavior that, once set, is not reset by a mere update of the operating system? Do Apple computers do this?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Do all new computers with Windows 10 come preset to transfer your files to a drive outside your control? Is there a forever block of such behavior that, once set, is not reset by a mere update of the operating system? Do Apple computers do this?
Of course this is not the case.

You would have to have signed up in some way with a Microsoft account and password to even be assigned a cloud drive repository.

Now, you may have signed up for a bunch of other stuff and not realized it was included in the fine print......
Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

When you set up W10 on a new install, it defaults to using microsoft accounts. You have to force it use a local account. So if are not aware when setting up your new PC you end up with a microsoft account which you may not have wanted.

Onedrive is built into W10, but you can "unlink" it as shown in the post from jerry1
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I have followed the directions above from jerry1, will see how that works. When I bought the laptop it asked if I already had a Microsoft account and I said yes. Should I have created another account for this laptop? I still use my old one. How can I unlink the two laptops? Any changes I make on this one seems to affect the old laptop. Another day, another problem.........
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #7

The account isn't really related to the laptop per-se. It is related to the email/password of whomever logs in, from whereever. If you use that login on another laptop, then, well, it's "you" over there, too.

The advantage of another login is that you would get additional space available - no other real reason that I know of.

I use the sync feature of OneDrive to keep backups of my important stuff. I encrypt the files that I don't want "visible" before syncing them.

There's a middle ground, that is not all-or-none, where you tell it to ONLY sync certain folders on your PC. Then you end up with a local copy and a backup copy in the cloud (conveniently accessible from all your other devices, BTW). Again, encryption is available for those files that are sensitive.

Works well for me, anyway......

Very Best Regards,
Old 01-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Open the OneDrive app. Disable OneDrive.

You get an allocation of free space. Once used, you can buy more of just use the free space.

We do an Office 365 subscription. It comes with 1 TB of data storage. It is nice for syncing files across devices. My Android phone backs up my photos and videos.

OneDrive is not really a backup tool. It is a sharing/storage solution. You should still back up to a fixed location for redundancy.

It sounds like you just need to disable and delete your files from OneDrive (make sure you back them up before deleting).
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
We do an Office 365 subscription. It comes with 1 TB of data storage. It is nice for syncing files across devices. My Android phone backs up my photos and videos.
We do the same - with that subscription, you get up to 5 accounts, which is 5TB total!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
OneDrive is not really a backup tool. It is a sharing/storage solution. You should still back up to a fixed location for redundancy.
It depends on how you use it. Syncing it to a local folder gives you a both local copy and a backup (of that folder). If a second computer (DW) syncs to the same folder, you get, automatically, two separate local copies (redundancy) in addition to the cloud copy. This is "backup tool" enough for me.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
It depends on how you use it. Syncing it to a local folder gives you a both local copy and a backup (of that folder). If a second computer (DW) syncs to the same folder, you get, automatically, two separate local copies (redundancy) in addition to the cloud copy. This is "backup tool" enough for me.
This kind of "backup" doesn't give you much protection against user errors though. If the user of computer A accidentally or deliberately deletes a synchronized file, it will be deleted from OneDrive and from computer B. This is pretty much invisible to user B and takes some detective work to think about looking for it in the trash on user A's computer; and if A has emptied the trash, you are out of luck. Don't ask how I know this.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
This kind of "backup" doesn't give you much protection against user errors though. If the user of computer A accidentally or deliberately deletes a synchronized file, it will be deleted from OneDrive and from computer B. This is pretty much invisible to user B and takes some detective work to think about looking for it in the trash on user A's computer; and if A has emptied the trash, you are out of luck. Don't ask how I know this.
I think there are some chronologies that can be turned on/off for files, not sure. Not sure that handles deletion, tho, either. Something for me to look into - thanks.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
There is a 30-day "Recycle Bin" built-in to One Drive that you can restore from in that period.

Quote:
Note: If you're signed into OneDrive with a Microsoft account, items in the recycle bin are automatically deleted 30 days after they're put there. If your recycle bin is full, the oldest items will be automatically deleted after three days. If you're signed in with a work or school account, items in the recycle bin are automatically deleted after 93 days, unless the administrator has changed the setting. See more information about how long deleted items are kept for work or school accounts.
Also previous versions are available: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...f-de6e96c93893
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
There is a 30-day "Recycle Bin" built-in to One Drive that you can restore from in that period.

Also previous versions are available: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...f-de6e96c93893
Yes, I found this info as well. When this happened to us, our missing folder wasn't in the OneDrive recycle bin, so I'm guessing it had been more than 30 days since it was deleted. I did find it in DH's regular desktop recycle bin though and recovered it from there. We still use OneDrive to keep our shared files and photos in sync, but I now also use the Windows backup tool to backup to my external hard drive more regularly. I had gotten lax about that when I setup the OneDrive sync.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The account isn't really related to the laptop per-se. It is related to the email/password of whomever logs in, from whereever. If you use that login on another laptop, then, well, it's "you" over there, too.

The advantage of another login is that you would get additional space available - no other real reason that I know of.

I use the sync feature of OneDrive to keep backups of my important stuff. I encrypt the files that I don't want "visible" before syncing them.

There's a middle ground, that is not all-or-none, where you tell it to ONLY sync certain folders on your PC. Then you end up with a local copy and a backup copy in the cloud (conveniently accessible from all your other devices, BTW). Again, encryption is available for those files that are sensitive.

Works well for me, anyway......

Very Best Regards,
I just bought a new PC and am struggling with OneDrive. I do not see how to access that "middle ground".

If I turn off sync on a folder, OneDrive removes it from my PC. For example, I create a folder TEST and then use "Choose OneDrive folders to see" and deselect TEST. This removes TEST from my PC but it is still in OneDrive. What I want is a folder that is only on my PC and not in the cloud.

How do I turn off sync to my PC's folder without it somehow being affected by OneDrive?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #15

If you want a folder that is on your PC and not on OneDrive, don't put it in the OneDrive folder.

If you to see folders that are on OneDrive but not cached locally on your PC, mount the OneDrive as a network drive: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/m...-network-drive
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
If you want a folder that is on your PC and not on OneDrive, don't put it in the OneDrive folder.

I took several folders from my old PC and downloaded them to the new PC (not to OneDrive). But they all show up on OneDrive. I see no way to remove the OneDrive copies without them disappearing from my PC. Perhaps I am missing something simple?

If I create a new folder on my PC, after a few seconds the little green check mark appears indicating OneDrive has copied it.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I took several folders from my old PC and downloaded them to the new PC (not to OneDrive). But they all show up on OneDrive. I see no way to remove the OneDrive copies without them disappearing from my PC. Perhaps I am missing something simple?

If I create a new folder on my PC, after a few seconds the little green check mark appears indicating OneDrive has copied it.
You need to un-sync any folder you don't want copied - or better yet, only specify the ones that you do.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You need to un-sync any folder you don't want copied - or better yet, only specify the ones that you do.
Great idea, now how do you do that? It seems to be all or none.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Great idea, now how do you do that? It seems to be all or none.
LMGTFY
Old 02-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unfortunately those links seem to apply to either older versions or to business OneDrive versions. One of those links shows what I have seen i.e. a way of unchecking boxes next to folders to unlink but this then says:

If you uncheck a folder you are syncing to your computer, the folder will be removed from your computer. The folder and its contents will still be available online.

I am scratching my head as anything I put on my PC immediately is grabbed by OneDrive and sync'd. This then seems to activate the italicized statement above which makes the folder the property of OneDrive.

-----------
BTW, I did see how to unlink from OneDrive entirely (the nuclear option). The link shown above must be to an older OneDrive version. For the latest version you do this:

click on the clouds icon in task bar
select settings
select Account tab
click on "Unlink this PC"