Join Early Retirement Today

Multi-users on iPad
Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Multi-users on iPad

I am used to Windows which allows multiple accounts, at least in the Pro version. So my wife and I can share the computer but we each have our own browser, email program, etc.

We are about to buy a new tablet, probably an iPad, but I cannot see how we can share it so we each have our own settings like we do on Windows. How do others deal with this?

TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buy two

Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Buy an Android based tablet for a lot less than ipad , and you can buy 2 for the same $$ or less.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Multi-users on iPad

Sorry, I realized that reply may sound a little snarky.

I am an iPad user. You are correct, there isnít a way to have two user accounts on a single iPad.

If you arenít positive you want an iPad, check out some lower-priced options such as the Kindle Fire tablet. You could buy two of those for the price of a single iPad. Or, go the other direction and get something like a Surface tablet. The user experience with a Surface is very much like that with Windows. Multiple user accounts that can even be linked with your desktop account.

I use an iPad, DH has a Surface. He doesnít really use the surface as a tablet, he attaches a keyboard and treats it more as a laptop. My parents have Kindle Fires that they like for playing games.

What do you plan to do with your tablet?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

You could use different browsers so you could each have your own bookmarks.(Safari & Firefox) and setup mail for two accounts.
Or just get a macbook air instead.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

To me, a iPad is a personal device, similar to a phone. DW’s finger print is in my iPad in case she needs it, but she has her own. Note, an iPad is or can be closely tied to your iPhone. I get texts on my iPad and my pictures are synced to both the phone and the pad. Making it even more of an individual device.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Buy two
Seriously, that's the answer. It's a personal device like a phone.

Apple actually provides a multiuser system for iPads used in schools, but then your iPad would be controlled by your teacher...
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
What do you plan to do with your tablet?
My wife is an artist and wants to use the pencil-stylus with some drawing programs. She also takes photos with her phone and then composes from the pad.

I want to sneak off and watch football games. DW is not a fan of NFL. I also do woodworking as a hobby and my hope is the pad can help with design of the things I build.

Our biggest problem is going to be with photo-sharing. DW uses her iCloud account to share photos to/from her phone. I do the same thing with my iCloud account. But we cannot have two iCloud accounts on the iPad that I know of. I am thinking one of us would use iCloud, the other would switch to Google drive to share.

We could buy another manufacturer's tablet but I am leery about how well personal data is handled by all these guys. I think Apple is more trustworthy than Google and Microsoft. And way more than Amazon, who I don't trust at all.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Itís a personal device! It will sync to your phone, your pics, your apps. Why on earth would you try to mix up that mess. Buy 2.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

How are you going to handle the times when DW wants to draw while you’re doing woodwork? The only way I’d be okay with sharing is if one person is primary. Basically their iPad and partner only uses it on occasion and not frequently. If both were good with that, then I’d go for it. Otherwise, I’d get two. You do realize that there are different levels. For surfing, you can get a 9 inch iPad and DW can get the 10 inch pro. The 9 inch with base memory is not too expensive and does a lot. Might even be good enough for DW so maybe by one of the base iPads and see if that’s enough.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
How are you going to handle the times when DW wants to draw while youíre doing woodwork? The only way Iíd be okay with sharing is if one person is primary. Basically their iPad and partner only uses it on occasion and not frequently. If both were good with that, then Iíd go for it. Otherwise, Iíd get two. You do realize that there are different levels. For surfing, you can get a 9 inch iPad and DW can get the 10 inch pro. The 9 inch with base memory is not too expensive and does a lot. Might even be good enough for DW so maybe by one of the base iPads and see if thatís enough.
And that is the situation - DW will use it probably 30+ hours a week and I would use it less than 5 hours. And she wants a Pro, at $600. So I am thinking for that much money I'd like to use it a bit also but my usage is going to be low so not sure it warrants a whole 2nd tablet.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
My wife is an artist and wants to use the pencil-stylus with some drawing programs. She also takes photos with her phone and then composes from the pad.

I want to sneak off and watch football games. DW is not a fan of NFL. I also do woodworking as a hobby and my hope is the pad can help with design of the things I build.

Our biggest problem is going to be with photo-sharing. DW uses her iCloud account to share photos to/from her phone. I do the same thing with my iCloud account. But we cannot have two iCloud accounts on the iPad that I know of. I am thinking one of us would use iCloud, the other would switch to Google drive to share.

We could buy another manufacturer's tablet but I am leery about how well personal data is handled by all these guys. I think Apple is more trustworthy than Google and Microsoft. And way more than Amazon, who I don't trust at all.
My first thought was +1@Philliefan33, which didnít seem snarky because Apple has truly designed it as an individual device. Still, in the interest of LBYM, you might consider looking into an older refurbished iP pad for you, especially if you donít require the latest functionality.

Apple does have some type of iCloud sharing. Perhaps someone here is familiar with the details. It looks like you can create and share photo albums.

If you have iPhones, do you need additional access to both iCloud accounts on the iPad?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #13

Costco, in store, not online, usually carries the older model iPad's after a model change. The pricing is usually really nice. Good time to buy, if you are in the market.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
And that is the situation - DW will use it probably 30+ hours a week and I would use it less than 5 hours. And she wants a Pro, at $600. So I am thinking for that much money I'd like to use it a bit also but my usage is going to be low so not sure it warrants a whole 2nd tablet.
Then just get the one and donít try to link it. Just keep you bookmarks in a separate folder. Though the base iPad is only $329 and Iíve seen it on sale this season for $250.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #15

I was going to recommend what Jerry1 said: get DW the iPad pro and get yourself the cheaper iPad.

If you get last years pro model, then you can even share the pencil.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Then just get the one and donít try to link it. Just keep you bookmarks in a separate folder. Though the base iPad is only $329 and Iíve seen it on sale this season for $250.
Yes, DW and I just picked up two 9.7" 32GB iPads during the Costco sale for $249 each. We have an 7-year old iPad that is still running strong, but too old to get the apple software updates. It's been a great device. If you decide to get only one iPad, keep in mind that you can set up multiple emails, so sharing is not a big deal.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I was going to recommend what Jerry1 said: get DW the iPad pro and get yourself the cheaper iPad.

If you get last years pro model, then you can even share the pencil.
I think the base iPad now works with the pencil.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #18

DW and I each have our own iPads and they've been well worth the cost. For a time we tried sharing one iCloud account but that really doesn't work.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am used to Windows which allows multiple accounts, at least in the Pro version. So my wife and I can share the computer but we each have our own browser, email program, etc.

We are about to buy a new tablet, probably an iPad, but I cannot see how we can share it so we each have our own settings like we do on Windows. How do others deal with this?
MacBooks and Oth Apple computers have multiple user accounts, but iPads do not.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I picked up the latest iPad mini at Best Buy for $200 a couple of years ago. What a deal!