Join Early Retirement Today

Need a New Printer
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Need a New Printer

I thought there was a thread within the last six months of printer recommendations, sorry, but I can't find it. I'm tired of the high cost of ink for my Canon printer. I'm thinking there were recommendations for a Brother printer folks were ordering from Amazon for under $100. I can do without color printing, black is fine.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Should have good choices of black laser printers for under $100 at Amazon. Laser is the way to go.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I hear you about the high cost of ink. I have an HP Officejet 6600 and it's alway thirsty.
I order re manufactured cartridges from Ebay sellers for 1/3 the price. They don't last as long but it's better than paying HP's high prices.
jjflyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was given a Brother laser printer, and I am sold! I have an Epson inkjet, but it is much slower and the heads seem to clog if you do not use them. I buy my replacement cartridges from 101 inks here in CA.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Have a look at the printer company's web sites and check prices. We were discussing getting a backup laser toner cartridge for our Dell all-in-one. I argued that as technology changes so quickly and gets cheaper and cheaper it didn't make sense to floor a replacement against fear the replacement cartridge would be rare and expensive in a year. Checked Walmart and found a laser printer for ~$150, checked Dell business solutions and found the same printer for ~$100 - with free shipping.

Our printers have mostly been from yard sales for $10 - add a generic toner cartridge from Amazon for $20 and run for a year...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjflyman View Post
I hear you about the high cost of ink. I have an HP Officejet 6600 and it's alway thirsty.
I order re manufactured cartridges from Ebay sellers for 1/3 the price. They don't last as long but it's better than paying HP's high prices.
I bought an HP besides loving ink, it goes into 5 minutes of maintaining itself every time it's used.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjflyman View Post
+1

Printer ink is one of the biggest scams going in the retail computer parts industry. The prices of the printers themselves are hugely discounted, so that you'll be tempted to snap up a $50 printer thinking you're getting a great deal... only to discover you "need" new OEM ink cartridges a few months later, to the tune of $50 or more. You can easily end up spending 10x the original cost of the printer in OEM ink over 5 years.

If your printing needs are fairly minimal (10-20 pages a month or less), you might actually come out ahead just by using local printing services at Staples or something like FedEx Office "Print and Go". But if you want the convenience of a printer at home, buy a highly rated inexpensive one at Amazon or Newegg, and then only buy generic or remanufactured ink cartridges. And also, make sure to print at least one page per week to keep the ink nozzles from dying out!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Should have good choices of black laser printers for under $100 at Amazon. Laser is the way to go.
+1 This is great advice, and this is what I plan to do when if/when I ever need a new printer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I purchased a basic Brother laser printer for $50 a few years ago and it has worked great. No worry about dried ink, rebuilt replacement cartridges are cheap and the cartridges do a lot of printing before the ink runs out.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
+1

Printer ink is one of the biggest scams going in the retail computer parts industry. The prices of the printers themselves are hugely discounted, so that you'll be tempted to snap up a $50 printer thinking you're getting a great deal... only to discover you "need" new OEM ink cartridges a few months later, to the tune of $50 or more. You can easily end up spending 10x the original cost of the printer in OEM ink over 5 years.

If your printing needs are fairly minimal (10-20 pages a month or less), you might actually come out ahead just by using local printing services at Staples or something like FedEx Office "Print and Go". But if you want the convenience of a printer at home, buy a highly rated inexpensive one at Amazon or Newegg, and then only buy generic or remanufactured ink cartridges. And also, make sure to print at least one page per week to keep the ink nozzles from dying out!
If you're careful you can find a printer that takes generic ink. I just bought an 8-pack refill for my Brother color inkjet printer for $7.50 from ebay. They work great. You can buy a new MCF-J485 wireless all-in-one for around $60. I'm happy with mine.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Need a New Printer
Old 03-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Need a New Printer

I have 2 HP inkjet printers that I very seldom use. It seems like I need a new print cartridge every time I need to print. So I go to the library and print there instead. Works out ok because I print less than 10 pages a month.

I do see the need to print more in the future. I’ll look into black and white laser printers as others have suggested.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Staples Office Supply has sales on printers.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

We get our remanu. ink from 4inkjets for our canon inkjet printer. Cost for both b/w and color totals around $26

Usually they last 9/10 months.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #14

+1 on Brother printers. I have a MFC-J480DW as I needed a fax capability. Nice machine, access to the ink cartridges is up front, and the small display shows the amount of ink left in each cartridge. Remanufactured cartridges from Amazon work fine too.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
+1
We run our Brother laser printers for years, on the 2nd one now, they last us easily 6-8 years each.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #16

Also, if you want an inkjet, Epson now has inkjets with large ink tanks. Don't know much about them as they were just coming out when I bought my Brother printer.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I purchased a basic Brother laser printer for $50 a few years ago and it has worked great. No worry about dried ink, rebuilt replacement cartridges are cheap and the cartridges do a lot of printing before the ink runs out.
I did the same. The cartridges are small, but I don't print much so they still last a long time, and if one does dry out, no big deal since it was so cheap. How cheap? Last time I got 15 cartridges (6 black, 3 each of the other colors) for $11.99.

That deal is unavailable, but here is a similar one: https://www.amazon.com/Z-Ink-Compati.../dp/B015GB9O7C
See if one of the printers it fits meets your needs. If you print a lot, the smaller cartridges may run out too often for you. I probably print between once a week and once a month.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My LF has a Lexmark all-in-one color printer but she rarely prints or makes copies but the ink cartridges dry up quickly, requiring replacement or refill (which I have to do). Her birthday is in a few weeks so I will buy her an all-in-one laser printer (black ink only, no color) for around $100 and take her old one so I can have something which can scan/fax and with my existing laser printer use it as a copier. Remember, laser printers use toner which is fine powder, not ink, so they won't dry up due to infrequent use.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #19

Get a cheap laser printer if you don't print a lot or often. Inkjet printers have to clean their print head, using ink. When you don't use it often, it cleans more just the same to keep the print head clean.

Recent experience with Laser. I leave mine on all the time, well until last month. I turned it off prior to going on a cruise and did not turn it back on for about a month. The cruise was 7 days, but my power bill dropped $30! My HP printer keeps a roller heated all the time so the printer is ready to print. Not sure if it made that much difference or not, just what it is.

Edit: http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-table.html shows consumption. Blown away by laser printer on!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Get a cheap laser printer if you don't print a lot or often. Inkjet printers have to clean their print head, using ink. When you don't use it often, it cleans more just the same to keep the print head clean.

Recent experience with Laser. I leave mine on all the time, well until last month. I turned it off prior to going on a cruise and did not turn it back on for about a month. The cruise was 7 days, but my power bill dropped $30! My HP printer keeps a roller heated all the time so the printer is ready to print. Not sure if it made that much difference or not, just what it is.

Edit: Standby Power : Data shows consumption. Blown away by laser printer on!
My basic HP laser printer has an auto shut-off feature when it is idle for more than a few minutes. Sending something to the printer automatically turns it on, although there is a power button I usually press when I know a few minutes in advance I am going to print.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote