Netflix movie or show suggestion

Thanks to this thread, I am now hooked on Doc Martin. Reminds me of Northern Exposure, which DW and I loved back in the day (esp. the earlier episodes when Janine Turner's hair was short - seemed like an inverse relationship between the length of Maggie's hair and the quality of the show.)

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

Any other recommendations for Netflix? Made a long list from this thread the other day, and other than Horatio's Drive (which I watched last night and enjoyed), not a one (that I haven't seen was available for streaming) I don't subscribe to the DVD's.

Keep this tread going like the "What have you read lately" thread. I feel like I have gone through all of the good TV shows that are available to date, and I'm nearing the end of West Wing, so need to find a new series.

From an old post on this subject, I tried Firefly, but just couldn't get into it.
Maybe because I don't like science fiction and fantasy. Only could get through two episodes.

I think I missed my calling. I believe I could make good movies. I don't know how the producers and directors of some of these shows can watch their work, and not cringe. I don't know how the writers can write the dribble they do, and think they have any talent.

I did a marathon of House of Cards on Sunday. I really liked that show! How similar in the BBC version? Same story line?

I did a marathon of House of Cards on Sunday. I really liked that show! How similar in the BBC version? Same story line?

Sufficiently different to be well worth watching.

I was up until 3 in the morning, kept doing "just one more episode" of the U.S. House of Cards. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright were really good!

I'll give myself a few days off to catch up on sleep and then I'll start the British version.

I was up until 3 in the morning, kept doing "just one more episode" of the U.S. House of Cards. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright were really good!

I'll give myself a few days off to catch up on sleep and then I'll start the British version.
I finished watching it yesterday, and can confirm that the British version is quite a bit different and well worth watching.

I finished watching it yesterday, and can confirm that the British version is quite a bit different and well worth watching.

I am planning to start on the British version after finishing Lark Rise to Candleford (very enjoyable) on the BBC iPlayer.

Just watched the documentary Big River Man. Its about the Slovenian man who has swum most of the worlds major rivers and follows his expedition as he swims the Amazon. To say this guy is a character is a vast understatement. If you're into epic voyages or nutty people, its quite recommended. I'll probably watch it again... ha

Just finished watching the first episode of "Single Handed". Young police officer returns to his home village on the west coast of Ireland. Strong characters and the scenery is to die for. Will move the other DVD's up the queue (not available on streaming :(

just browsing on Netflix. You can order "Lincoln" on DVD--it will be available March 26.
After I put it in the queue, Netflix responded with the usual "More like Lincoln". Included was Last of the Mohicans--makes sense, Daniel Day Lewis.
But also included were Smokey and the Bandit and Mrs. Doubtfire. :confused:
Huh??

just browsing on Netflix. You can order "Lincoln" on DVD--it will be available March 26.
After I put it in the queue, Netflix responded with the usual "More like Lincoln". Included was Last of the Mohicans--makes sense, Daniel Day Lewis.
But also included were Smokey and the Bandit and Mrs. Doubtfire. :confused:
Huh??

Saly field was in Smokey and the Bandit and Mrs Doubtfire (and Lincoln)

Just watched the documentary Big River Man. Its about the Slovenian man who has swum most of the worlds major rivers and follows his expedition as he swims the Amazon. To say this guy is a character is a vast understatement. If you're into epic voyages or nutty people, its quite recommended. I'll probably watch it again... ha

Thanks for the tip! Added it to our queue!

And DH enjoyed watching The Hurt Locker, a war movie about the military guys who do technical explosives work. I picked it out for him, but read a book instead. It was loud, is about all I can say about it. As I said, dude movie.

The Borgias (season 2) is available on Netflix DVD starting 3/26. At least some of the broad outline is historically accurate -- well the French did march through Italy :). Jeremy Irons does make a great flawed pope.

If you loved Downton Abbey you will also also love Upstairs Downstairs. It was filmed in the '70s and Downton Abbey kind of follows along the same story lines.The characters, acting and sets/costumes are really good

See if Trollhunter is available. It is a Norwegian movie and reminds me of the old Asian ones with Godzilla. Good fun!

I also liked Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. For some reason I like the movies from the northern cultures as they provide interesting insights into their culture. This one is a very different Santa tale. More along the lines of the Grimm Fairy Tales.

If you loved Downton Abbey you will also also love Upstairs Downstairs. It was filmed in the '70s and Downton Abbey kind of follows along the same story lines.The characters, acting and sets/costumes are really good

See if Trollhunter is available. It is a Norwegian movie and reminds me of the old Asian ones with Godzilla. Good fun!

I also liked Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. For some reason I like the movies from the northern cultures as they provide interesting insights into their culture. This one is a very different Santa tale. More along the lines of the Grimm Fairy Tales.

I've been enjoying Upstairs Downstairs, a blast from the far past. Unsurprisingly, I haven't recalled any episode yet even though I know I watched them all at the time.

If you like sushi check out "Jiro Dreams of Sushi." An interesting documentary about one of Japan's great masters of sushi.

+1. Saw it on the bigscreen at the local rep cinema. Great documentary and what an incredible craftsman.

If you're interested Anthony Bourdain went there on one of his show episodes. It's probably on Utuber.

We watched two documentaries recently...Hungry for Change and Farmageddon....then we went out and bought a juicer and lots of strange veggies (to us) and have been juicing for a few days. We also found a couple of organic farms near us and will be changing over to free range meat and eggs.

Just watched "We're not Broke" about how multi-national corporations avoid paying US taxes via pushing their profits offshore. Quite enlightening, wish something could be done to stop it.

If you like sushi check out "Jiro Dreams of Sushi." An interesting documentary about one of Japan's great masters of sushi.
Just saw it in netflix from this recommendation and what a charming movie it is. A true story, well written script and well photographed.

Foyle's war is a WW II perspective on the experiences of a small town Detective Chief Inspector in England.

Yesterday I watched Iron Sky.

As has been mentioned:
The Station Agent
The World's Fastest Indian
Doc Martin

There are huge numbers of interesting movies but for some reason those that Netflix picks out to recommend as well suited for you are probably the worst choices.

Back
Top Bottom