Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
While the iPhone 6 and older won't use IOS 13, you can continue using IOS 12 - the iPhone 6y won't become obsolete right away. So we'll see how that goes, and decide then. A lot of the new gee whiz features are nice, but mostly novelties - we don't care about talking emojis, haptic touch, and having a better display when we can't see the difference unless you hold them side by side. As I noted above we'll gladly buy new iPhones, when we have no other Apple choice. YMMV
Yes I know that I can continue to use ios 12, the new feature of ios 13 that interests me is the "dark mode" - being able to look at the screen when my eyes are dark adapted without losing night vision is a huge plus. Don't care for the new emoji, slomoji's or whatever they else they are touting.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Save a bunch. Spend the rest. On what you want.

I too have an XS Max. I likely won't upgrade. I can already go 2+ days on a single charge. So better battery life isn't too big a deal.

I like the lineup for the 11. I used to stay 2-3 versions back, but we save a bunch and I want to spend the rest on things I use.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

For me it's the IOS 13 push coming. I have an iPhone 6, original iPad air and original apple watch, all of which I'm happily using, but none of which will be supported by IOS 13. For security reasons primarily, but also for an improvement in the watch, and battery/chipset update in all 3, I'll likely decide to replace the whole set. Full replacement buys me likely 5-6 years compatibility, just like the last time.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
New iPhone/Apple Watch?
Old 09-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #24

New iPhone/Apple Watch?

The only Apple product that I use is my original iPad Air. Eventually security concerns will push me to an upgrade. Prices on current iPads are certainly more reasonable than when I bought my iPad Air.

Other than the iPad, I am an Android user for phone and watch and I have a Windows laptop. Clearly I am not loyal to a particular operating system. When I was looking for a Smartwatch I got good information from this forum. The discussion helped me to see I was being unnecessarily frugal. I could afford to upgrade my phone and watch and it is worth it to me to do so. Those frugal habits die hard!
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My pencil (1st gen) arrived today. It’s still in the box while I ponder what to do with it without an iPad.

Maybe a tiny baton? Like Robert Preston in The Music Man?

“Think, men.... THINK”

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #26

+1 for waiting for a new smaller iPhone.

<rant>
So, over 50% of people are women. For some reason, women's pants have small pockets that are very difficult or impossible to hold smartphones. Yet, Apple continues to make bigger and bigger smartphones. I believe there is a very big market share for a smaller, but full-featured, smartphone...maybe 4" screen, with no bezel.

For some strange reason, Apple is ignoring this market share. My daughter has an SE and hangs on to it, refusing to upgrade, due to it being the only iPhone that barely fits in her pockets.
</rant>
Old 09-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
My pencil (1st gen) arrived today. It’s still in the box while I ponder what to do with it without an iPad.

Maybe a tiny baton? Like Robert Preston in The Music Man?

“Think, men.... THINK”
https://www.informationweek.com/it-l...a/d-id/1322140
Old 09-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
+1 for waiting for a new smaller iPhone.

<rant>
So, over 50% of people are women. For some reason, women's pants have small pockets that are very difficult or impossible to hold smartphones. Yet, Apple continues to make bigger and bigger smartphones. I believe there is a very big market share for a smaller, but full-featured, smartphone...maybe 4" screen, with no bezel.

For some strange reason, Apple is ignoring this market share. My daughter has an SE and hangs on to it, refusing to upgrade, due to it being the only iPhone that barely fits in her pockets.
</rant>
That's what I have, an iPhone SE. But I haven't given up. Apple did upgrade the iPad mini. They did eventually come out with the iPhone SE after a spell. I think they may introduce a smaller one next spring. If they do, I'll upgrade.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a 6s with a new battery compliments of Apple, Dw an SE. We will wait until at least next year. DW will not upgrade to a bigger phone, and will be happy to stay with ios 12.

We both have series 4 watches, and see no need to upgrade.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post

That’s great! I’ll play me some “Pick Up Stick”.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Liked the size and pocketability of my 5S, but decided we wanted to have phone service in more locations than AT&T allowed, so bought three "new old stock" unlocked 128GB 6S. Tried to get them running on Red Pocket, which can use Verizon towers, but it was a no-go. Returned those and entered the plain old Verizon build-a-plan market. What an obscure pile of bafflegab and sleight of hand. We sprang for three NOS 128GB 7S to stay with the best battery life and the aluminum back. Verizon is selling them to us over the next 2 years for $5/month (and locked into contract for that time unless we want to pay like those 7s are new current phones). Discount this and that, fee such and so, bonuses and memberships, DD214, creditcard vs checking account payment discounts... We may pay about what AT&T got or maybe double. or more. Frankly I was at the fling money at it till it stops hurting and I can stop.
I do like the increase in screen size and voicemail transcription beta - and the fact that the screen protectors and cases I bought for the 6S phones fit - with a bit of die grinder work.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #32

I always look forward to the September launch of new Apple products but the last two years have been quite unimpressive for me. I have an IPhone X (2 years old) and don’t see any reason to upgrade. A better camera is just not important to me, nor is longer battery life.

I’ve upgraded my Apple Watch every year so far. This is the first year I’m going to skip the upgrade. Always on screen is nice but not worthy of spending money to upgrade.

My MacBook Pro is over 7 years old now. I see no advantage of the newer ones so I haven’t upgraded that one either.

Apple just is not innovating any more. It’s been really disappointing to see. I love tech and have no problem spending good money on great products. But upgrading just to get a few small improvements seems unnecessary to me.

For what it’s worth, I spent a lot of time seeing what trade in sites are giving the best price and I found that Maxback was willing to give me $485 for my 2 year old IPhone X while everyone else was in the $300 range.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
New iPhone/Apple Watch?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

New iPhone/Apple Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I also bought a set of AirPods. Talk about a price that seems *way* out of line w/ the product - I mean, it's just bluetooth mini-speakers in your ears! And yet - in just 24 hours I am amazed at how much I love them. The easy switching back and forth between devices, the intuitiveness, the tap-to-skip or play-pause. The 'hey Siri' functionality. I walk four miles a day and just not having to deal with cables is surprisingly beneficial.

I don’t have AirPods but agree that Bluetooth earbuds make a big difference in everyday use. The old style wired ones were popular and the wires hanging off them marked you as cool but the freedom of movement is great. I frequently forget I have mine on throughout the day until they remind me they need a recharge.

They’re a great addition and not expensive. Just pick a pair for their sound quality and enjoy. They’re one of my favorite and most-used purchases this year.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

^
Gal thinks people look like they have cigarette butts stuck in their ears. cooool.

Eh. our cat enjoys chewing on her own single wired ear bud while the gal contents herself with the other when drifting off to sleep listening to podcasts.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

MacWorld has an article comparing the new basic iPad and the iPad Air.

Overall, the Air fares better in the article. I’m waiting for the basic model to show up and think of it as my tablet with training wheels. I’m expecting it to serve as a replacement for my Chromebook which has been a very good device for six years.

https://www.macworld.com/article/343...-ipad-air.html

Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
MacWorld has an article comparing the new basic iPad and the iPad Air.

Overall, the Air fares better in the article. I’m waiting for the basic model to show up and think of it as my tablet with training wheels. I’m expecting it to serve as a replacement for my Chromebook which has been a very good device for six years.

https://www.macworld.com/article/343...-ipad-air.html
Thanks for that. I am looking at choosing between exactly these two models, on behalf of my sister, and am leaning towards the Air, due to 64GB and a faster chip.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I typically upgrade our phones every three or four years, buying on CraigsList for $100-200 each.

My sincere thanks to all early adopters, especially those using Android, for eating all that depreciation. Speaking for myself, I do not find depreciation to be a tasty meal.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m waiting for the next small iPhone. These are usually announced in in the spring.

In the meantime, I’m very happy with my full-featured Series 3 watch and feel no need to change.
Same here. I have a 6S that is about two years old. It works just fine for my needs. The only thing I would like is for it to be smaller. If they do come out with a new iPhone that is appreciably smaller, I'm all over it. It does sound like it's in the works. Hopefully we'll see something in the next year or so.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #39

In the early days of smartphones it seemed like every year a new product was announced with some really major improvements over the prior model. But in the last two years the biggest change to the Iphones have been slightly improved cameras, and not much else. The IPhone X removed the home button which allowed for a bigger screen with an overall smaller form factor, plus a much sharper looking screen. I was happy to pay for that.

The Apple Watch Series 4 provided a much larger screen than the Series 3, so I was happy to pay for that.

The last meaningful change to the MacBook Pro was in 2012 when they introduced the Retina Display. I was happy to pay for that.

There hasn’t been much else to get excited about.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
...If they do come out with a new iPhone that is appreciably smaller, I'm all over it. It does sound like it's in the works. Hopefully we'll see something in the next year or so...
The rumors I have seen say one is probably coming, BUT it reportedly will have a notched screen (like the Xs), and be 4.7" or 5.4", and be marketed as an "affordable" iPhone. In other words, Apple will completely miss the boat for those looking for a smaller iPhone (and incidentally, would be willing to pay almost as much as the what the iPhone 11 costs).

I am glad I sold my Apple stock!

Tags
apple watch, iphone