Join Early Retirement Today

New Laptop Recommendation
Old 07-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New Laptop Recommendation

Running an i5 lenovo, SSD, 4 GB. Overall pleased but for the third time I am losing a laptop cause of display hinge and case fracturing. I lost two HPs same way and swore no more HPs. An older Lenovo worked well and is still working (about 8 yrs old) but my everyday Lenovo about 3 yrs old just cracked.

Any recommendations? Tired of case crackings!!
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #2
gone traveling

I have never had a hinge or case crack when using mostly Dell laptops.

What are you doing that is causing this to happen?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any specific recommendations other than to go with at least 8 GB RAM, but I think you need to consider how you are handling your laptops. This seems like an unusual amount of hinge and case problems. Lenovo has a good rep for making sturdy laptops, so I'm guessing the problem is with the buyer, not the manufacturer.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would need more info on how you use them. Are you transporting them? Or do they just sit on a desk? Are there multiple users? Kids?

Would you consider a tablet with separate keyboard for typing? (No hinge!)
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Morning

Not abusing the laptop - haha. Just normal opening and closing.

Used mostly around the house, volunteer activity. One user. Weight not a big issue. Like the SSD I installed for speed. Agree with 8 GB be good minimum.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post

Not abusing the laptop - haha. Just normal opening and closing.
Either you have the worst luck of anyone I know, or you are rough on your laptop, whether you think so or not. If you're as tired of case crackings as you say you are, you shouldn't be dismissive of that possibility.

Maybe you're yanking the display open harder than you realize. I try to treat mine laptop like a piece of glass. Not saying I always do but I do consider it fragile.

I was talking to one of our techs at my old megacorp once, and he talked of all the ways people were hard on their laptops. Carrying with one hand--notice how the case can bend. Carrying with the lid open puts your laptop at risk if you drop it or set it down heavy, and if you put one hand on the display part you are likely doing some pulling on the hinges without realizing it. I forget some of the other things but that gives you an idea.

It's a good thing you have an SSD or you'd probably be replacing your hard drive often.

Maybe I'm wrong and you just have bad luck, but it's worth your while to take a closer look at what you're doing.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
gone traveling

MacBook Pro + AppleCare.

A review -- https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/22...9-macbook-pro/
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've never had a case of bad hinges on a laptop. I own a used Lenovo Thinkpad (must admit, I do not use frequently) and the laptop actually has a strong, reinforced metal hinge.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

Picked up a slim/lightweight Asus 15.6" laptop last year for about $500 and pleased so far. Came with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD, only came with 8GB RAM so added another 8GB.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #10

I've had a hinge issue on a previous laptop. Some laptops have two small hinges on the sides, while others have one long hinge that runs most of the width of the machine. Perhaps consider the style with one long hinge instead of two small hinges.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #11

I've got an HP that cracked at the right hinge a couple months ago -- thoroughly annoying.

I also have an Asus laptop that is remarkably rugged. It's about 12 years old, and it will not die. My next laptop will be another Asus.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Either you have the worst luck of anyone I know, or you are rough on your laptop, whether you think so or not. If you're as tired of case crackings as you say you are, you shouldn't be dismissive of that possibility.

Maybe you're yanking the display open harder than you realize. I try to treat mine laptop like a piece of glass. Not saying I always do but I do consider it fragile.

I was talking to one of our techs at my old megacorp once, and he talked of all the ways people were hard on their laptops. Carrying with one hand--notice how the case can bend. Carrying with the lid open puts your laptop at risk if you drop it or set it down heavy, and if you put one hand on the display part you are likely doing some pulling on the hinges without realizing it. I forget some of the other things but that gives you an idea.
+1

Never had a Lenovo laptop. But I have had numerous Dell, Toshiba, Acer, and other brands of laptop. I never had, nor heard of, a laptop hinge breaking before from any brand of laptop.

If you really aren't treating it roughly, then just buy another because it won't happen again. This just isn't a common issue with laptops unless they are owned by kids, AFAIK.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Running an i5 lenovo, SSD, 4 GB. Overall pleased but for the third time I am losing a laptop cause of display hinge and case fracturing. I lost two HPs same way and swore no more HPs. An older Lenovo worked well and is still working (about 8 yrs old) but my everyday Lenovo about 3 yrs old just cracked.

I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Mixx 700 a year and a half ago (m5 processor, 8GB SDRAM, 256 SSD, Win 10) and it has been the best laptop that I've ever had. Not a problem.

I really like that there is no fan. The Mixx is Lenovo's answer to the MS Surface. Detachable keyboard and stylus included.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #14

I love my MacBook Air and I will replace it with the same thing. Easiest computer I have ever used.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Based on another laptop thread a couple of months ago, I ended up buying an LG Gram 17" at Costco. It was $250 off at the time. It is soooo light, which I love since my old 17" weighed like 10 lbs. I couldn't be happier with it.

Seize the day....Soli Deo gloria
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #16

I've had numerous HP laptops over the years (worked for HP before retirement) and have never heard of this problem with hinges. I have three old ones that still work but the they are so old the technology is obsolete. My current 8570p is about 5 years old and still going strong.

Sorry you've had this problem.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #17

I LOVE my surface. I have the keyboard and a USB mouse attached so it works like a laptop and has touch screen to use like a tablet. Of course I rather easy so take it FWIW.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #18

I would get either the MacBook Air or the ASUS ZenBook. I haven’t looked at every machine out there, but the ZenBook is the closest thing in a Windows machine, IMHO, to the MacBook Air. I have the Apple and DW has the ASUS. Both are very light, fast and strong (aluminum cases).

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Zenbook-15-UX533FD/
Old 07-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:

You might consider replacing it with another lenovo but a more robust model. Case builds are radically different on various lenovo lines. I have had a couple of Lenovo Carbons that have been bullet proof and am a fan.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm using a MacBook Air (my first) and love it.
When needed will replace it with the same thing.

I use it daily but transport it to teaching/clinical sites in bubble wrap.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote