Join Early Retirement Today

New PC, new discoveries
Old 02-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New PC, new discoveries

I have my old PC on Windows 10 and now the new HP PC. They are currently side by side as I configure the new one.

I was wondering what to do about the Flash player with its known security issues. Then I discovered the new PC does not have Flash!

And the new PC doesn't have Adobe Acrobat installed. How to read PDF's now? I find that Word 2016 now converts PDF's (my old Word 2007 which is now unsupported does not). Then I wondered how I'd view the Vanguard statements which were read by Acrobat (somewhat badly). I found the Vanguard used something called TWINUI by default and that works fine.

So I'm finding several new things about the PC world now. And here I thought an old PC with Windows 10 was fully up to date. Maybe I've got this wrong but seems like a good thing to move to the new hardware just for performance and ease of use.

Anything else I should know about? He asked with trepidation.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Adobe Reader is a free download. The full Acrobat suite is about $300
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
gone traveling

In Windows 10, Microsoft Edge is the default PDF viewer.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
For day to day I use Firefox. But I'm thinking here of the PDF's I have in the file system like TurboTax filings. I guess I could view it with a web browser but it's more convenient to use something like Word (I think).
Old 02-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #5

I reinstalled Windows 7 on my desktop a few months ago. I have no flash and no adobe reader. I use the Chrome browser to open PDFs and I rarely run across a website that requires flash these days. It's obsolete.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For day to day I use Firefox. But I'm thinking here of the PDF's I have in the file system like TurboTax filings. I guess I could view it with a web browser but it's more convenient to use something like Word (I think).
Are you thinking of Foxit? I have used Foxit for several years and love it. I can sign docs in Foxit which is much better than printing, signing and then re scaning. Adobe was always updating and taking forever doing it. And I "think" it uses Flash. So I switched. Also moving away from Word products.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Are you thinking of Foxit? I have used Foxit for several years and love it. I can sign docs in Foxit which is much better than printing, signing and then re scaning. Adobe was always updating and taking forever doing it. And I "think" it uses Flash. So I switched. Also moving away from Word products.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/
What I meant is that you can choose to view a PDF stored on your PC in a browser window or you can use a program on your PC. In my case those choices would be Firefox or Word.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had uninstalled Adobe Reader didn't care for the bloat and use using a simple reader. But reluctantly added Adobe back as had a PDF document that requiring updating but couldn't do with the simple reader.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
What I meant is that you can choose to view a PDF stored on your PC in a browser window or you can use a program on your PC. In my case those choices would be Firefox or Word.
Ahhh, I see. I missed that connection.

I sign a fair amount of contracts and Lien Waivers in a week. So the ability to sign a doc in a pdf reader (Foxit) is super. Nothing like printing out a 17 page contract then sign on the last page. Scan and resend

I don't think I can sign online with Word.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I forgot to thank you for this. Firefox opens the PDF a lot faster then Word for just simple viewing. Word wants to do a optimization. I guess if this were mostly text then one could do some edits with Word.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Coincidently, just yesterday I downloaded the free Adobe Acrobat Reader again and made it my default PDF reader. That worked nicely for downloading and reading my tax forms from Vanguard, SS, and so on.

Got to do my taxes this week. Got to.

I don't know why I needed to download it again; maybe W10 removed it from my hard drive. But this fixed the situation for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
You can certainly open a PDF in many applications. And you can tell Windows to always open PDFs in the application of your choice.

But on a new Windows 10 install, unless you tell it otherwise, it will open a PDF in Edge.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Coincidently, just yesterday I downloaded the free Adobe Acrobat Reader again and made it my default PDF reader. That worked nicely for downloading and reading my tax forms from Vanguard, SS, and so on.

Got to do my taxes this week. Got to.

I don't know why I needed to download it again; maybe W10 removed it from my hard drive. But this fixed the situation for me.
If you open in in your browser (assuming a PC) with Open With, it will be remembered by File Explorer. So you can use Edge or Firefox or ... (probably) other browsers. Then to find stuff in the document use control-F. That is all I know so far.