Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #21
Administrator

"Intuitive" is not always so intuitive. Last year, at the insistence of the young wife, I finally got a smart phone. It took me a month to figure out that to answer it I need to swipe the phone icon, not just touch it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
DW's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe has a push button start feature (no ignition key). I'm pretty tech savvy for my age.

I wanted to run a system diagnostic on the car to see why the traction control warning light was "on" when it wasn't supposed to be. My tester needs to have the car in the "run" position with the engine off. In other words, if you have a key start, turn to the run detent just before you engage the starter motor.

OK, how do you set this (ignition on) with a push button? I was stumped.....then I Googled it.....Aha!! Push start button two times without your foot on the brake pedal.
We ran into that with DD's used Nissan - it was the first car in our family with push-button start. Turns out for "accessory mode" you push just once w/o your foot on the brake. We found that in the manual. So even that isn't consistent (yours being push 2x).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
"Intuitive" is not always so intuitive. Last year, at the insistence of the young wife, I finally got a smart phone. It took me a month to figure out that to answer it I need to swipe the phone icon, not just touch it.
Got burned by that as well. An icon pops up, we are trained to tap it to select. How the heck are you supposed to know to swipe? Good user design is supposed to include 'hinting' so that you know what to do.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
gone traveling

I do not use the life size lap top screen at McDonald's lobby areas to order my food. I go up to the counter and order with the cashier then pay cash for my meal. Too many times the customers in front of me either have no idea how to navigate the screen or are just playing around scrolling thru the pictures.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think the hard thing about tech, for older generations, was that they were accustomed to carefully following instructions from a manual.

Today's interfaces are intuitive - you are supposed to just "know" what icons represent, and what to do next. And if you don't "know,"you just hack around until you land on the right setting. This kind of thinking drives/drove some people of earlier generations crazy.
Even worse was/is the trend for web sites to have no menu/buttons, make it clean in appearance.

And of course there is no standard for what to do next..
Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
I do not use the life size lap top screen at McDonald's lobby areas to order my food. I go up to the counter and order with the cashier then pay cash for my meal. Too many times the customers in front of me either have no idea how to navigate the screen or are just playing around scrolling thru the pictures.
In Southern IL , at some smalltown Mc'd , they had a person there to show them how to use the kiosk to order.
I normally avoid them, as too often I'd order, pay, and no receipt came out, meaning I have no proof I paid.

Well the lady insisted I use it, and thought it was the way of the future.
She was not impressed when I told her I had used one in Vienna 2 years ago, just picked my language and used it.
Later I realized she probably thought, "oh there must be a town nearby where they make those Vienna hotdogs"

So I told her I wanted my coffee with milk, not cream.
She said they don't do that.

I scrolled down, showed her it's on the menu, and clicked on "SUB" and ordered my coffee.

She said, "they add things to the menu and don't tell us about it."

Well, in this small town, only 1 out of the 10 workers knew how to sub milk for cream...., you put shot of milk in the cup

She even showed me the milk in the cup to ask "is that enough?"...
Old 03-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

A couple examples.

A friend of mine got back to his seasonal rental and said was having trouble with his cable... was about to call the landlord.... there are two buttons at the top of the remote.... a TV input button and and a power button... he was pressing the wrong button... I pressed the power button and "magically" fixed his cable problem.

My great aunt was visiting my aunt and used the bathroom. She came out of the bathroom all flustered that she couldn't figure out how to turn off the overhead light.... it was a solar tube light!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago I went for lunch with a work friend. He had owned his car for 5 or 6 years and was complaining about the fan speed. It had push buttons for "low" and "high". Low was too low and the windows fogged up and on high it sounded like a jet engine. I pushed the low and high buttons at the same time and they both lit up and provided a perfect "medium" speed.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid one of my best friends dad was a pulpwood hauler in the backwoods of East Texas. He told me his dad had finally scrimped and saved enough money to buy himself a chainsaw but came home after the first day using it completely exhausted and complaining the saw was a total waste of money. Knowing his dad was technology challenged, he offered to take a look at the saw to be sure it was working OK.

My friend walked out to his dad's truck, gave the rope on the saw a pull and it started right up. His dad yelled, "What's that noise?"
Old 03-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we graduated screaming and kicking from our flip phones to Alcatel smartphones,. I downloaded the manual. I bought us each the identical phone to shorten the learning process.
I did have to read the manual to learn to swipe to answer. My DW was upset by the geolocation function. She would get a message asking her if she liked shopping at a store she just went to. I disabled hers, but left mine on so I could call Lyft or Uber..
When she went from her 1998 Cadillac to a 2017 Mazda it was a real learning process for her. At least there was a manual the size of a phone book.

I paired the Bluetooth in the car with her phone so she could listen to Pandora. She went into the manual to set up the cruise control so it would slow if we caught up to a slower vehicle.
The other thing we did with Bluetooth was to pair her Kindle with our Bose soundbar so we could listen to Pandora in the house.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Use self checkout at Walmart?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Intuitive - pure BS - laziness on the part of the designer to write up the manual and/or do proper user testing.....they use their customers as beta testers. Iconization is not standard - there are exceptions. And many times some basic configuration settings are buried in sub-menus or there is an assumption you will fiddle around to find it. I find that type of thinking on the part of designers arrogant. If I see that and they don't give me a manual or some sort of resource to tell me how to work their product, I don't buy it.

I worked in a large healthcare organization and we tried to standardize on our technology platform for all patient monitoring. We didn't want the clinicians to get lost trying to find out how to manage the settings. We trained them and then re-trained every year. Each vendor had a different way adjust the settings - one through menus, another a 'trim knob.' We also had a standard configuration built for us---*and* there were manuals available.....so one type of interface was what we had so the clinicians could focus on delivering healthcare and not fighting the technology.

I nearly broke a vendor's device once in their 'showroom' showing them how a clinician could screw up the controls by just spinning the knobs around an inadvertently pushing the buttons - the product managers freaked out, but the point was made. People can and will find ways to screw up a device and if you don't account for that in proper user testing, you might end up on the bad end of a lawsuit depending on what the device in question is designed to do.
Back in the day before tech gadgets, I had the job of designing the operator interface for a refinery. Their engineering director would perform product testing by punching random buttons with a rubber pencil stick. Finally I set up a little routine that detected rapid button pressing and displayed "Thanks Frank, have a nice day!" and our console was accepted as superior in human factors.

(They insisted on not resetting the Suppress all alarms button after 10 minutes. That decision ended up costing them $1.5 million! Hey the customer is always right, after all it is their money!)
Old 03-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I was impressed when push button radios all seemed to converge on the same standard for setting the buttons, although it got complicated when there were 2 and 3 sets of them!

But I lamented that they never had an agreed process for changing the time! Let's have standard time all year long.