Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Norton mobile security software issues
Old 03-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Norton mobile security software issues

Yesterday DW got a message (with RED background) on her phone (around 7:45 PM) saying that her connection to the WiFi network had been compromised. I couldn't figure it out, but I did find an update to the Linksys router firmware was available and updated my router firmware. I also updated the Android firmware, since I saw a newer one was available. I also turned off her WiFi, pending further investigation.

Today I saw a similar message on my Verizon Samsung phone from Norton Mobile, saying my network had been compromised 10 hours ago.

After more research a short while ago, I found that the problem was with the Norton Mobile Security software. Reported 10:49 PM yesterday and fixed with an update 1:54 AM today. I updated my Norton Mobile Security software.

https://community.norton.com/en/foru...promised-alert

Just curious as to whether many of you are using this software. Similar Norton Mobile Security issues were reported in Dec 2017/Jan/Feb 2018, also fixed by Norton software updates.

I thought I was doing a good thing installing this software on all my mobile devices. Now I am second-guessing myself.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #2

I don't mean to bash any product, but I've just never been happy with Norton on my PC and would not bother trying it on my phone. On a PC, it has always taken up too much overhead and it was always "in the way", which is what I suspect you're seeing on your phone. I guess if you got all the settings just right, it may work better, but I stopped using it several years ago.

I am interested in what people use for their phones. Frankly, I didn't know they had those types of programs for phones.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I googled "mobile device security software" just now and found "what is the best security software for android"

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...us-for-android

Norton shows up as #7. I used Norton because its software for mobile was bundled in as part of the 10 monitored device package that I have. I do agree with your comment about Norton.

Apparently the Avast app has its own firewall so I will have to take a closer look at it.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I both had this alert on our phones last night. We unplugged the router and went to bed. This morning I researched and saw all of the comments on the interweb about it being a false positive.

Thanks for the update info. I had not seen that.

we only have Norton on our mobile devices. the windows PC has SpyBot and the laptop is running LXLE, so no need for antivirus there.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote