Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Password Managers
Old 02-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
BOBOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 446
Password Managers

I've been using Lastpass for years, and it's been great until recently. I use Firefox browser in Private mode, and the Lastpass add-on is barely usable; from user forums I've learned that this is a common problem, and LP is not being responsive.

So what password managers are people using? I'm looking at switching to Dashlane, which gets good reviews.
__________________

__________________
I still don't get it...
BOBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 6,119
We use KeePass......DW, the techie, set it up......seems to work OK, but I'm technologically illiterate......(and quite stupid to boot).
__________________

__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,960
I'm really frustrated with lastpass these days too! The latest firefox release seems to have broken its functionality with a number of sites including capitalone.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 381
LastPass in Chrome works well. But some sites give all password managers headaches. CapOne (at least for banking accounts) works ok for me with LastPass.
__________________
Steve
jonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,525
I tend to use LastPass but don't make use of the plugin any more. If I foget a password I log in and look it up.

My problem is that it will quickly log me out on Chrome under XP -- a problem that I did not have with Firefox under XP.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 758
Keepass on a thumb drive. I avoid the cloud and leaving the passwords on my computer.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,685
Bobot, your post leaves me content with having a password manager that is local. One less variable to deal with like in your case with add-on changes to the browser.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 13,237
1Password. It has served me very well for many years.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
BOBOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Bobot, your post leaves me content with having a password manager that is local. One less variable to deal with like in your case with add-on changes to the browser.
What is the "local" pw mgr?
__________________
I still don't get it...
BOBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,685
By local, I meant one that stores your passwords on a database on your computer. Not in the cloud or somewhere else online. You unlock the database with a master password.

The one I use (Windows only) is Password Corral. Another that comes to mind is Password Safe.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 381
What I like about cloud PW managers is that I have access to the passwords from all my devices, no matter where I am, and am never at risk of losing them all from a device malfunction. (Even if the cloud service goes away, each device stores a local copy of the most recent "vault".)
__________________
Steve
jonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
googily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 544
I have used LastPass for nearly six years now, and can't live without it. Works without a problem for me in Chrome (other than sometimes not being able to auto-fill in fields on certain sites, but that's not that big thing). Having it on my phone helps so much, too.

I thought LastPass encrypted a local version on your hard drive, instead of the cloud?
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 381
Yes, there is an encrypted local version on your device, unless you have disabled this feature. It is used when LastPass can;t get at the server.
__________________
Steve
jonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
I've been using Lastpass for years, and it's been great until recently. I use Firefox browser in Private mode, and the Lastpass add-on is barely usable; from user forums I've learned that this is a common problem, and LP is not being responsive.

So what password managers are people using? I'm looking at switching to Dashlane, which gets good reviews.
I have been using Dashlane for a few years. It generally works very well; I like the access to the passwords across devices, especially since I have a mix of Windows and iOS devices. It does seem to have trouble from time-to-time after OS updates, but then pretty quickly gets updated to work well again.

It will automatically generate strong passwords, or remember and sync the ones you create yourself. But given the number of passwords needed to function online these days, I just let it take care of creating unique strong passwords for each site.

I do use the premium version which charges an annual fee and allows syncing across devices. For me this is worth the price.
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,122
I've been thinking about going to a PW manager too. My problem is that I have conflicting requirements.

I am very leery of putting all my eggs in someone else's basket. Too many "security" companies have been hacked. I really, really hate the idea of putting all my passwords onto some third-party server, along with detailed information about where all my accounts are, linked to my personal data.

That said, it's becoming necessary nowadays to remember a bunch of "real" passwords (for important accounts, not just stupid apps and games) on cell phones and tablets. So some sort of synch capability seems to be a requirement.

I'm also too cheap to pay too much; a monthly fee is probably a deal-breaker.

On the other hand, I don't need anything fancy. I don't need it to detect a password field and auto-fill it. I don't want plug-ins and extensions. I'd be happy to just be able to look up a reminder, and type or copy-and-paste into the password field myself. I'd also probably shy away from overly complex, auto-generated passwords that I'd never have a chance of remembering.

You can see my dilemma. Anyone found a solution without too many compromises?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've been thinking about going to a PW manager too. My problem is that I have conflicting requirements.

I am very leery of putting all my eggs in someone else's basket. Too many "security" companies have been hacked. I really, really hate the idea of putting all my passwords onto some third-party server, along with detailed information about where all my accounts are, linked to my personal data.

That said, it's becoming necessary nowadays to remember a bunch of "real" passwords (for important accounts, not just stupid apps and games) on cell phones and tablets. So some sort of synch capability seems to be a requirement.

I'm also too cheap to pay too much; a monthly fee is probably a deal-breaker.

On the other hand, I don't need anything fancy. I don't need it to detect a password field and auto-fill it. I don't want plug-ins and extensions. I'd be happy to just be able to look up a reminder, and type or copy-and-paste into the password field myself. I'd also probably shy away from overly complex, auto-generated passwords that I'd never have a chance of remembering.

You can see my dilemma. Anyone found a solution without too many compromises?
I too don't need anything fancy. The with the local password manager, I can copy and paste the user id and password fields. Plus, there is a text section where I store stuff like challenge questions and answers. There also is a password generator but I use a separate program for that and just copy/paste the generated password into the password manager's password field.

As mentioned earlier the advantage of having on the cloud, available to all devices is a valid one. But for me, when I travel with a laptop, I remote into my desktop so have access to all my passwords that way. On the phone, I only access a few sites regularly so don't even want to have access to all my passwords there.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
KeePass - works great!
trueson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I too don't need anything fancy. The with the local password manager, I can copy and paste the user id and password fields. Plus, there is a text section where I store stuff like challenge questions and answers. There also is a password generator but I use a separate program for that and just copy/paste the generated password into the password manager's password field.

As mentioned earlier the advantage of having on the cloud, available to all devices is a valid one. But for me, when I travel with a laptop, I remote into my desktop so have access to all my passwords that way. On the phone, I only access a few sites regularly so don't even want to have access to all my passwords there.
Keepass on a thumb drive.

- stored off line and off your computer. I back mine up with another thumb drive. My thumb drive requires a password for access and has limited log-in tries. It's a Kingston but there are other models. I like this since if my computer gets stolen or lost, my PWs stay with me. (Keepass does have a cloud feature but it defeats the purpose for me so I have never signed up.)
- generates passwords or allows you to make them up or change the ones they generate
- a screen is provided for notes
- A button is included to fill in name/PW automatically. I like this feature
- I also do not access my financial or other accounts that I want to keep most secure on my phone. But, I often save passwords on my phone or stay logged in which I know is a compromise for my 'less confidential' information
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
Nightcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brewster
Posts: 347
1Password. Syncs all of our passwords across all platforms.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Keepass on a thumb drive.

- stored off line and off your computer. I back mine up with another thumb drive. My thumb drive requires a password for access and has limited log-in tries. It's a Kingston but there are other models. I like this since if my computer gets stolen or lost, my PWs stay with me. (Keepass does have a cloud feature but it defeats the purpose for me so I have never signed up.)
- generates passwords or allows you to make them up or change the ones they generate
- a screen is provided for notes
- A button is included to fill in name/PW automatically. I like this feature
- I also do not access my financial or other accounts that I want to keep most secure on my phone. But, I often save passwords on my phone or stay logged in which I know is a compromise for my 'less confidential' information

Sounds like a good solution for you with the protected thumb drive.

In my case, my laptop is password protected and only contains a couple of passwords (to remote into desktop, for example) on keepass. Thus, if laptop is lost or stolen, my passwords besides the couple aren't there.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Password Managers NanoSour Technology, Media & e-Gadgets 33 11-10-2016 04:23 PM
Password Managers Sittingduck Other topics 38 08-18-2013 09:27 AM
Do money managers earn their keep? Jay_Gatsby FIRE and Money 17 03-14-2006 08:56 PM
Any money managers worth working with??? retire_asap Other topics 16 01-29-2005 07:19 PM
Anyone using Institutional Money Managers DFW_M5 FIRE and Money 9 01-15-2005 11:40 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.