Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

I got hoodwinked my Microsoft to reserve for a free upgrade to Windows 10 what that rolls out.

My question is, do I really want to upgrade?

What are your plans?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wasn't there a thread posted a while back about how in April there was a 'vital patch' from MS that actually preps Win7/8 machines for Win10 and then will pester you to do the upgrade to Win10?

Yup...I actually see a little icon on the bottom of my laptop asking if I want to upgrade.

No thanks.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Wasn't there a thread posted a while back about how in April there was a 'vital patch' from MS that actually preps Win7/8 machines for Win10 and then will pester you to do the upgrade to Win10?

Yup...I actually see a little icon on the bottom of my laptop asking if I want to upgrade.

No thanks.
That was how I got hoodwinked, by the icon.

Now, I'm deciding do I uninstall that pestering update and stick to Win 7 or take the bait

Since the upgrade is "Free", I'm debating, should I just download when Win 10 is ready and keep in case I change my mind, or just pass on the come on.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If it's free, I will probably upgrade from Win8.1, after the initial wave of non-beta users have upgraded if a remotely positive consensus review starts to take shape. If it costs, I won't be in any hurry, if I ever upgrade.

Unlike many evidently, I don't have a big problem with Win8.1 in metro or classic UI, it's the dumbed down metro apps that I dislike. And while I still use Office apps almost daily, I use (Apple) mobile devices or Smart TV so often now that our desktop/laptops are not critical anymore. I use my PC only when I gave to, or I just want to view on a bigger screen (and AirPlay can fix that to some extent).

But thanks for the heads up on the upgrade icon, I'll have to do a little more research before I click on it...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My knee jerk reaction is, to run from Win 10 and not touch that with a 10 foot pole. I like my Win 7. But on second thought, by 2020 (not that far away!), when security updates stop for Win 7, the writing is on the wall and MS will kill Win 7 like it did for XP.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My knee jerk reaction is, to run from Win 10 and not touch that with a 10 foot poll. I like my Win 7. But on second though, by 2020 (not that far away!), when security updates stop for Win 7, the writing is on the wall and MS will kill Win 7 like it did for XP.
By 2020 I will probably want/need a new laptop/computer/whatever 'the' device is then and will just get the OS that is available then.

My laptop works now the way I like it with Win7, and I always have bad luck with software in general, so I'm going to say no to that icon, and may even uninstall that patch.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:

Since the upgrade is "Free", I'm debating, should I just download when Win 10 is ready and keep in case I change my mind, or just pass on the come on.
Free doesn't mean no cost. Will your HW platform be adequate or will the upgrade prove too demanding and lead to poor system performance? Will you need to upgrade any application SW? How much time will you need to invest to learn, personalize, resolve problems that you don't currently have?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My knee jerk reaction is, to run from Win 10 and not touch that with a 10 foot poll. I like my Win 7. But on second though, by 2020 (not that far away!), when security updates stop for Win 7, the writing is on the wall and MS will kill Win 7 like it did for XP.
By 2020, mobile devices and Smart TVs may render PCs redundant for 95%+ of us (all but serious power users). Hard core gamers, coders, IT pros, graphics pros, etc. will be the last to go, and you can bet mobile (and associated software) will only offer more to them as the years pass.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

More on the nag campaign:

Microsoft triggers Windows 10 nag campaign on Windows 7, 8.1 devices | Computerworld

Almost wish I had a non-geninue Windows
Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #10

You can customize your taskbar and just 'hide' the nagging icon.

Or, there are websites that walk you thru the steps to uninstall the 'vital patch' (and the changes that it did in April to your computer to prep it for a Win10 install).
Old 06-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Windows 7 and found the icon on my laptop this morning. I put the icon on "Hide icon and notifications" for now. I am TIRED of this constant harassment. My husband cannot adapt well to changes on his computer; he only uses it to read mail (outlook) and surf (IE 10). As they have prepped his computer for the update, the computer performance, especially the browser performance has almost died. He has gotten so frustrated he dreads just checking the mail. I get it working better and, in a few days, it is too slow to enjoy. (I have high speed Comcast.)

I have found myself (for me not my husband) reading up on Ubuntu and checking out the few remaining Macs on the market lately. I remember back in the good ole days before I became a bureaucrat (actually worked for a living) my favorite operating system was the Unix on my Silicon Graphics and my favorite desktop was my Apple with, I think, System 7. But I can't figure out if non Windows operating systems are really more secure or merely less attractive for hackers.

So, I plan to keep my Windows 7 until reports tell me that their performance was better with 10; the new browser is enhanced and not dehanced; the transition is easy for old men who just want to have fun and kill time; old investments in products like Office 2007 and 2010 work without using clouds or virtualization; classic views are available that almost make it seem nothing has changed; etc., etc., etc.

But, I expect with time MS prep actions will make Windows 7 and IE almost unusable so you beg for a solution to your computer's poor intractable performance problems.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

I might upgrade after our big trip this summer. I have a new small laptop and I'm not messing with ANYTHING right before I leave - I'll be paying bills, moving money, etc with this laptop, while I'm on the road.

By the end of summer enough other folks will be reporting if it sucks or not.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #13

If the original story line holds, there will be a year window for the free upgrade. I will wait til the far end of that period, then test it on a cloned hard drive. I see no risk to this strategy.
One nice thing about the win 8 upgrade version is that it is portable to another windows based computer. I have two of those for flexibility if win 10 is a no-go.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got hoodwinked my Microsoft to reserve for a free upgrade to Windows 10 what that rolls out.

My question is, do I really want to upgrade?

What are your plans?
Hoodwinked? In what way?

How To Check Device & App Compatibility Before Reserving A Windows 10 Copy

Quote:
Microsoft has taken just everything you hated about Windows 8/8.1 and made it all better. Microsoft is also being considerably more aggressive about getting people to upgrade to the next version and I for one am very impressed with the effort they’ve put in. A recent Windows update will have added a new app for reserving a copy of Windows 10, which is free for everyone on Windows 7 and 8/8.1.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
...the writing is on the wall and MS will kill Win 7 like it did for XP.
I know I'm living in the past, but I loved XP.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Hoodwinked as in MS sneaking the Upgrade to Win 10 as an automated update that now is a nag on the system tray.

Quote:
Although the KB3035583 update is “Recommended” by Microsoft and therefore requires users to manually add a checkmark to get it installed, most users weren’t aware of what they were installing, as the update description stated nothing more than “enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user”. Some users even report that the update became “Important” by the end of March and was therefore automatically installed with other updates on users that allow Windows to automatically download and install updates.
How to uninstall KB3035583 - The Windows 10 Downloader for Windows 7 and 8.1 - Myce.com
Old 06-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #17

Reading posts like these makes me so glad I walked away from the Microsoft world several years ago. I just got tired of the constant updates, security issues, malware and virus issues....

Apple ain't perfect, but it's miles more user friendly than Windows, imho....
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I picked sticking to Win 7 and uninstalled the push to Win 10 update on my PC. Now the update in question shows as an optional update. Thus, I still have that option in the future, but no more nags in the meantime.

Hopefully, by the time Win 7 is not longer supported in 2020, there will be a very good version of Classic Shell for Win 10.whatever .
Old 06-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Oh great. I voted that I wanted to upgrade and get the latest and greatest on my Toshiba laptop.

But then, I had Windoz check my laptop. It says,

Quote:
Windows 10 will work on the PC. This PC can be upgraded but there may be some issues.
Devices: These devices aren't fully compatible with Windows 10.
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 You'll experience problems with your display.
Yeah, like I want to upgrade if it messes up my display? Sheesh. What if I can't even see anything at that point? Oh wonderful (not!). Granted, my Toshiba was really cheap so I should have expected it.

I just checked the driver, and it's updated so that's not the issue (sigh). Oh well. I'll stick with Windows 8.1 after all, and I"ll buy a new laptop with Windows 10 later on when they are available and pre-installed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

No windows here - Only Apple stuff. Used to have Windows at work and I don't miss it at all now.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote