Poll:How's That Windows 10 Upgrade Coming Along?

How's That Windows 10 Upgrade Coming Along?

• Wonderful - Make Microsoft Great again!

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Fine at first, but got sucker punched by annivesary update

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Ok - Not great, but not problematic either

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Did not upgrade - stayed with pre Win 10 system

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • Did not upgrade - got Win 10 preinstalled, works great

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Did not upgrade - got Win 10 preinstalled, but not great

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Had to do a clean install - works fine now

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Had to do a clean install - still has problems

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since the big upgrade to Windows 10 has come and gone, this is an updated poll to see how that is coming along. Feel free to express the good, bad and ugly :(.

I chose "Got sucker punched by the anniversary update" :mad:.

The initial upgrade seemed to work fine. But after the anniversary update, system randomly crashes and my power management settings don't work properly. Seems to point to graphics card issues, but my graphics card is one that is listed as supports Windows 10.

All is well here. Three computers, and all have the anniversary upgrade too.

No complaints.

I upgraded (like if I had a choice). It went okay and I really don't see much difference. None of my setting were changed, that I have found.

Upgraded 2 machines and had no problems for a year so far.

I'm using Windows 10 like Windows 7, and report no problems with that approach. But I don't use Cortana or any of the microsoft store apps - I'm avoiding anything that looks like Windows 8 as much as possible. So I might be avoiding the buggy / cutting edge features without trying.

The anniversary update crashed my system. It occasionally would start, which is when I moved any remaining photos or documents to the cloud. When it finally totally crashed, I put Ubuntu on instead.

My laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed, back in the summer of 2015. Windows 10 has its plusses and minuses, but overall I like it.

The Anniversary Update was OK. I felt like the download and installation took forever, but then I had read online that it would take at least that long. :-\ I don't love or hate the AU, in comparison with the pre-AU Windows 10. It's sort of blah, IMO.

Could one of the mods fix my typo for the third choice? Should read "Ok - Not great, but not problematic either" ~Thanks.

Could one of the mods fix my typo for the third choice? Should read "Ok - Not great, but not problematic either" ~Thanks.

Sure, no problem; done. Thanks for pointing it out since (despite choosing that option) I hadn't noticed the typo.

Sure, no problem; done. Thanks for pointing it out since (despite choosing that option) I hadn't noticed the typo.

Thanks for the fix. I noticed right after pressing the submit button :(.

I'm among those that refused to assimilate with Win10. I'm just fine with the Windows 7 that came pre-installed on my computer I bought earlier this year. I know enough about computers to know that I don't want to roll the die and see if I get to spend countless hours wrestling with unknown software issues coming up at unpredictable times.

I'm among those that refused to assimilate with Win10. I'm just fine with the Windows 7 that came pre-installed on my computer I bought earlier this year. I know enough about computers to know that I don't want to roll the die and see if I get to spend countless hours wrestling with unknown software issues coming up at unpredictable times.

+1.

I'm among those that refused to assimilate with Win10.

Resistance is futile :)

However, I have kept most of my PC's on W7. I think I even have one still running XP but I haven't booted that PC in a good while now. IMHO, W7 was the best OS they have released so far. Easy to use, compatible with everything I used, very stable, etc. There are a few things I like with W10 but I suspect it's more about the newer hardware than the software.

I have a laptop that runs on Windows 8.1. I upgraded to 10 but found that the updates took forever through my narrow rural bandwidth and I had no say in when or how Windows would update. I took the massive anniversary update (which tied up my Internet service for an extended period) as s sign of things to come, so I restored the 8.1 OS.

I had no say in when or how Windows would update.

This was something that made me go absolutely ballistic with my work laptop running Windows 7. The factory-default setting is to install any and all updates whenever they are available. After wrestling with this for a while, I realized that I could set it up to download and install updates whenever I manually ask it to check for updates.

But even then - how can a company like Microsoft, with VERY intelligent people, have such a completely, utterly, $^(%*&#(*%&(@%$ for brains procedure to install updates - ON A LAPTOP - when you shut down the system, when it says "DO NOT TURN OFF THE LAPTOP DURING THIS UPDATE". Can't they have a simple override button you click, and at least give you an estimated duration for the update to be installed? The worthless "X% complete" means nothing - I have seen that screen stay on the same percent after an hour (for a major update), and I have seen it flash through an entire update in just 20 seconds.

Don't they realize that when you are using a laptop, you may not always have the luxury of putting it in sleep mode or hibernation to avoid an update? Or that maybe you don't have access to an outlet to power your laptop for an update for 30 minutes? Or maybe a memory-intensive 3D modeling program crashes and you want to reboot to avoid further issues of losing your unsaved work (yet again), and you don't want to install your updates right then and there in the middle of the work day?

I have had several times where I am at a jobsite, or some other location where I had to reboot due to a program crash, or told it to shut down and didn't go through the steps at a snails crawl to check that there weren't any updates to install, and I had to sit and wait for many minutes for the computer to finish installing before it shut down and I could leave. Thank God I wasn't on an airplane! I don't think you could tell the flight attendants right before takeoff "Sorry, but my Windows laptop just started an update, and after 5 minutes of updating, it's only at 15%, and I have no clue how much longer this will take, so I can't just shut it off even though the FAA requires it".

I upgraded to Windows 10 on 2 system (one laptop, one desktop) just before the free upgrade deadline and everything has been fine. I had minor issue with a couple of special drivers (video camera and scanner), but I had checked in advance and drivers upgrades were available, which one installed resolved the issues. I have automatic updates on and have not encountered any problems with them. The desktop is my "main" system in the home, the laptop is primarily used in our home theater for streaming web content onto the projector.

For me the biggest thing has been determining the new locations for the some of the various systems/internal settings, since I like to tinker with the operating system configuration.

Went ahead and did some testing on my Win 10 setup today (which lasted til tonight :() to see if I did a clean install, would my PC still have the power management issues.

So, I installed by using the ISO created with the media tool program to make sure and install a fresh system. After the system started up, I went ahead and tested the power management (screen off then sleep). First time, screen went off but stayed awake. Second time, screen went off, PC didn't sleep but couldn't get screen to come back on. So, this is the same issue I have before the clean install.

Guess, Win 10 doesn't play nice with my configuration. At least now I know that even after a clean install, still doesn't work for me after the anniversary update messed things up. Oh well.

Tried to upgrade but got blue screen of death after initially starting up in Win10 and doing one or two things (been a while so my memory is a bit fuzzy). Rolled back and all works well. Repeated process at least once with the same results.

All Right, All Right, All Right

Well, I went ahead and decided to get me a cheap different brand video card today (installed and running at the moment :cool:) to hopefully sidestep the issue my computer had of crashing on the other card's driver under Win 10.

With the new card, the system's power management still doesn't work for me, but I can sidestep that also with freeware. At least that's my conclusion for now :).

I was skeptical. But ended up upgrading all 3 computers with no issues. It is different but i kind of like it.

Not All Right

So, here I was walking around with my chest all puffed out thinking by changing the graphics card (from Nvidia to Asus) that I'd side step Win 10 not playing nice with my computer.

Today, the computer crashed again with the same problem. Looks like my deductive reasoning was incorrect as hindsight is 20/20. The problematic driver nvstor.sys might be a system driver for the motherboard and not the graphics card as I assumed.

Time for plan 7 (as in go back to Win 7) or plan get entire new PC.

For folks how stayed on Win 7, how easy is it to prevent Microsoft from forcing a Win 10 update? Also, didn't Microsoft many any Win 7 system updates very very slow? Thanks.

I'm going out of town for a few days but will [-]mess with [/-] look closer at my choices when I get back.

Last edited:
I prefer it enough that I upgraded both my laptop and desktop. Only problem I had was I needed to update graphics card drivers separately on my desktop. Since I built the computer, it wasn't more than a minor inconvenience to me.

I do utilize classic shell as I prefer the older look/functionality of the start menu myself also.

Stalwart, still with Win7 64. If and when I do install an upgrade I will only do a clean install after a complete HDD wipe. I think most of the problems people have come from installing an upgrade over the existing OS. Too many potential glitches with drivers, etc..

Back
Top Bottom