Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Internet Speeds (MBps down) Do You Have At Home?
10 Mbps or less 27 12.74%
25 Mbps or less 33 15.57%
60 Mbps or less 35 16.51%
150 Mbps or less 71 33.49%
300 Mbps or less 25 11.79%
1000 Mbps (Fiber) 20 9.43%
How would I know? 1 0.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Your Internet Speed (Mbps down)?
Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Your Internet Speed (Mbps down)?

We've been doing just fine with an XFinity package that's only 25 Mbps down for quite a while included email, surfing and ALL our TV viewing (sometimes two TV simultaneous at 720-1080p). We have some very brief buffering at times, but almost non-existent, IOW not a problem to us.

It seems many of the lowest cost internet services (at least that they show) are 100 Mbps for the big names.

We're moving soon and I am curious what other people have. Spectrum tried to talk me in to a faster package, and AT&T tried to tell me we really needed a fiber connection (1G or 1000MB)! That sounds nuts to me.

Oh, and it's amusing to me how difficult they make it to find out what the cost, speed, contract?, data cap, equipment etc. costs - you can't find it online, chat or telephone in person without lots of patience. And especially if you aren't going to sign up TODAY, RIGHT NOW!!! And you have to wade through at least 10 minutes of why we should buy a double or triple play package too...because I don't want a landline or higher priced TV?

YES I know the poll answers overlap, hopefully you'll choose the highest that fits your service.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have the 150 plan from Xfinity, but do everything on wireless which ends up being around 50. That's plenty for what we do, but I might look into a better router/modem to see if I can squeeze out more speed. I do get spinning on streaming every once in a while.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

400 here (cable). Via LAN, I get 400. Via wi-fi, just over 100
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually measure over 100Mbps on Spectrum. Way overkill as we can do the same as when we had 15Mbps when on Verizon DSL, but then when we ordered a change in phone service, Verizon cut our service back to 3 Mbps which was NOT acceptable.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We have the 25 Mps. and it's fast enough for our needs.
Our wifi speed is fast enough, from our own router (never measured it).
Old 05-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

Spectrum cable here (really the only game in town for any real speed). Internet only. They call it "Ultimate 200" and my speed checks typically show around 225. Now and then it slows way down but rebooting the modem brings it back.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm paying for $83.99/month for 100 Mbps, but usually get about what my present test results are showing, below. This Cox Cable signal has also gone through my home wi-fi network to get to my laptop, so I guess I can't complain.

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to a plan with higher speeds ("Blow That Dough"?), but haven't done it yet. I would love to have that 1000+ Mbps fiber connection, but it is unclear to me whether or not I can get it yet in my neighborhood. I should probably go talk to someone about it. Later on....
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We are getting around 12 to 15 and pay our rural wireless internet provider for 10.

So after our local telecom spent one year and gobs of government money "upgrading" their service installing fiber optic two miles from my house we get constant mailers offering us "turbo internet" of up to 50 this would be around the same price we pay now. Fell for it, morning of the install I call to verify day and time. Guess what, oh, I've been trying to reach you we did an onsite speed test at your farm and we can guarantee you 5MGS....due to the lower speed we can lower your bill a couple bucks.

OK no fricking thank you and thanks for wasting all those tax dollars not to mention the postage on the WEEKLY offers YOU KEEP SENDING TO MY HOUSE. rant done...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

We’re at about 30 and that seems fine. However, we’re planning on changing our service to a package where you pick ten channels. It will also include the local channels and some throw in channels but overall cost will be cheaper. We have Charter/Spectrum and when we make the change, we’ll get moved to their base internet speed which is 200. I don’t think we’ll notice any difference but we’ll see.

I’m also getting rid of my cable boxes (the ones at each tv, not the modem). To watch tv, I’ll have to use a streaming set up similar to Netflix. They have an app and I’ll watch tv, local and otherwise, but clicking on the app and streaming. This will allow a tv wherever I want without running a cable. I won’t have to pay for a box either so it will be cheaper. The only catch is that their app only works with a Samsung tv or a Roku. Not a big deal.

I’ll also use the current wiring to one of the tv’s to run an antenna from the attic to the tv. That way, I’ll be able to watch OTA channels even if the streaming/internet is down.

Funny thing was when me and DW picked the channels, we only came up with 8. Had to throw a couple extras in there just to complete the 10 that comes with the package. Just shows how few channels we actually watch.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ours measures at 295 mbs. We have security cameras and a 4K tv plus some 1080HD TVs. We also stream music. We backup data to the cloud, but uploading data is only 10 mbs.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm paying for 100 Mbps but usually get about what my present test results are showing:

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to a plan with higher speeds ("Blow That Dough"?), but haven't done it yet.
I don't mean to argue, but why would you opt for a faster more expensive plan? Just curious.

Like I said, we're fine at 25 mbps and we'll prob have 100 mbps after the move only because there's nothing slower without going to DSL or satellite.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We are getting around 12 to 15 and pay our rural wireless internet provider for 10.

So after our local telecom spent one year and gobs of government money "upgrading" their service installing fiber optic two miles from my house we get constant mailers offering us "turbo internet" of up to 50 this would be around the same price we pay now. Fell for it, morning of the install I call to verify day and time. Guess what, oh, I've been trying to reach you we did an onsite speed test at your farm and we can guarantee you 5MGS....due to the lower speed we can lower your bill a couple bucks.

OK no fricking thank you and thanks for wasting all those tax dollars not to mention the postage on the WEEKLY offers YOU KEEP SENDING TO MY HOUSE. rant done...
FWIW, when I talked to AT&T at the new location they told me I could have 100 Mbps for $70/mo or 1000 Mbps for --- $70/mo It appears Spectrum will be a little cheaper there, but obviously if I got with AT&T for some reason the Fiber service seems to be a no-brainer.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #13

Paying $44.95/mon for the Performance package (60 Mbps) with Comcast. I have an Apple Extreme router with about 15 devices on our network. Including:

2 Desktops connected via ethernet
3 Desktops on wifi
2 Laptops on wifi
5 iPhones on wifi...family shares on 1GB of month data with Consumer Cellular, so it's mostly wifi on the phones
1 Apple TV on wifi
1 Roku on wifi
2 iPads that rarely get used nowadays

It's $15/mon to jump to the next level of 105 Mbps, but 60 Mbps service seems to be working pretty good for us even when streaming 3/4 videos on 3 different devices.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
gone traveling

As of yesterday, we were 40/20 with CenturyLink DSL. Our bill for this and 1 landline was $110/mo (inc taxes).
Today, we are 80/40 with CenturyLink and no landline. $55/mo

I could not find any real pricing info online (and I build websites for a living). I had to call to get the options explained to me.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
FWIW, when I talked to AT&T at the new location they told me I could have 100 Mbps for $70/mo or 1000 Mbps for --- $70/mo It appears Spectrum will be a little cheaper there, but obviously if I got with AT&T for some reason the Fiber service seems to be a no-brainer.
It's not worth anything to me I'm stuck with the 10-13 probably forever and I pay the same money you just mentioned...but is the 1000Mbps part of package or limited promo?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's not worth anything to me I'm stuck with the 10-13 probably forever and I pay the same money you just mentioned...but is the 1000Mbps part of package or limited promo?
They didn't say, but I get the impression those with fiber networks want their customers on fiber?

Old 05-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't mean to argue, but why would you opt for a faster more expensive plan? Just curious.

Like I said, we're fine at 25 mbps and we'll prob have 100 mbps after the move only because there's nothing slower without going to DSL or satellite.
Just because I can?

Actually, that is partly why I have been putting this off. I need bandwidth more than I need speed. That said, I did notice a distinct improvement when they upped my speed from 50 MBps to the current speed without my asking for it (and increased the price, and called it the same plan).
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just because I can?

Actually, that is partly why I have been putting this off. I need bandwidth more than I need speed.
Perfectly good reason, just curious.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #19

We have Verizon FiOS at the low end 50/50 level. That has worked just fine for all streaming, browsing, and gaming despite having nearly 30 devices on the home network (4 adults, 2 kids). Downloads of huge software updates and games can take awhile, but many downloads seem to be more limited by the server than by our connection speed. To me it doesn't seem worth the cost of upgrading just to speed up an occasional download. I'll consider upgrading if we start running into congestion on streaming.

I care more about ping time (lag). That's very good (~10 ms to the fastest sites) for us and would not improve at all with a more expensive package.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have 75 Mbps. It was 50, but when I started investigating my options I discovered they had raised the speed for the same price but had neglected to inform me. You have to stay on top of those bastards fellows!

Anyway, 50 was more than I needed for surfing and streaming 1080p video, but since I could get the upgrade for no additional charge I did it.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote