Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The nuclear option is becoming more prevalent.
1. Put your smartphone on do-not-disturb.
2. Set it so only numbers in your contact list can get through do-not-disturb.
No apps needed.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Despite AT&T's claim to be able to activate the feature, have failed (or refused) to do so despite numerous attempts and several hours wasted on my part.
Bummer.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I think spoofing is still legal. Its only illegal if you "intend to do harm"... which if the scammers are already trying to scam, whats the deterrence of the spoofing law?
Right. There is no deterrence, effectively. Especially for spammers located in other countries, which I'd guess account for well over half of all spam/junk calls. Even spammers who reside in the U.S. can simply use server farms located in other countries and VPNs to obfuscate where the VOIP traffic is originating from. It's all a very elaborate, dark, despicable web of cat-and-mouse criminality.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Call "spoofing," the ability of the caller to change the actual number which he is calling from to another one to get around call clockers and/or increase the chance of the call being answered instead of ignored, is the item which has greatly put the junk callers ahead of those who are trying to counteract the junk callers. It is what makes call-blockers such as nomorobo (which I have had for just over 2 years) less effective.

From what I heard in some FCC hearings in 2017, the phone companies have the ability to require that the actual number used to make the call is the one which gets transmitted to the recipient. But nobody is forcing them to.

And to add to this... the spammers do NOT care what number they spoof!!! A year or two ago someone spoofed my number and I got hundreds, if not thousands of call backs from people saying they could not answer and what did I want!!! I remember that I had 100 call backs in about 2 minutes as Comcast recorded every one (at least I think they did)...

So they can spoof a real number, make thousands of calls in a minute or two and move on to another number.... I do not see how this can be fixed with how much VOIP is out there...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Right. There is no deterrence, effectively. Especially for spammers located in other countries, which I'd guess account for well over half of all spam/junk calls. Even spammers who reside in the U.S. can simply use server farms located in other countries and VPNs to obfuscate where the VOIP traffic is originating from. It's all a very elaborate, dark, despicable web of cat-and-mouse criminality.
No deterrence. That's why I've come to the conclusion what seems to work best to keep some sanity is block using a list based system. Otherwise, to put a number on a block list after receiving the call is like closing the barn door after the horses have left.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The last few months of the year is a time where I have found a sharp spike in robocalls. Remember all of those "Health Care Hotline" calls many of us get during the open enrollment period for the ACA (Medicare, too)? I would get 10 per day for a few days from nearly identical, spoofed numbers from all over the country, often unable to have Nomorobo keep up with them.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #27

I used to have hope for community sourced black lists.
But then my call screening software started showing that legit calls from known numbers for legit companies had been community tagged thousands of times a "scam" number.
Humans are stupid. "This is why we can't have nice things".
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
The nuclear option is becoming more prevalent.
1. Put your smartphone on do-not-disturb.
2. Set it so only numbers in your contact list can get through do-not-disturb.
No apps needed.
Been doing this for about a year now. Works great for me! I have yet to have an issue where someone who isn't a "allowed contact" didn't leave a message for something important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
We have the ringer turned off on our landline. Only keep it for hurricanes, and because our security system is hooked to it.

I don't get many on my cell at all. Never even daily. Maybe google is doing a good job.
Almost all alarm systems (even the older legacy systems) can be modified to have cell based communications w/ the service center. There are lots of good companies out there that have information on how to modify these systems for a fairly cheap $ amount and can be done fairly easily.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Call "spoofing," the ability of the caller to change the actual number which he is calling from to another one to get around call clockers and/or increase the chance of the call being answered instead of ignored, is the item which has greatly put the junk callers ahead of those who are trying to counteract the junk callers. It is what makes call-blockers such as nomorobo (which I have had for just over 2 years) less effective.

From what I heard in some FCC hearings in 2017, the phone companies have the ability to require that the actual number used to make the call is the one which gets transmitted to the recipient. But nobody is forcing them to.
This spoofing is really unbelievable, and these clowns could even be using your number to call other people around the country. I have to believe the carriers have the technology to put a stop to this and I do not understand why the FCC does not raise a fuss over this. We too have seen a huge uptick in these robocalls and I suspect many are using spoofed numbers. Sometimes it gets so bad, we just unplug the landline which makes me think why continue with the service.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
We too have seen a huge uptick in these robocalls and I suspect many are using spoofed numbers. Sometimes it gets so bad, we just unplug the landline which makes me think why continue with the service.
That is one of the main reasons why I cancelled my landline service forever when I moved to my Dream Home in 2015.

Funny thing - - I haven't missed it a bit. I notified a half dozen contacts and have had zero missed calls or other adverse consequences.

These days nobody even expects you to have a landline. More and more people just don't want the hassle.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This spoofing is really unbelievable, and these clowns could even be using your number to call other people around the country. I have to believe the carriers have the technology to put a stop to this and I do not understand why the FCC does not raise a fuss over this. We too have seen a huge uptick in these robocalls and I suspect many are using spoofed numbers. Sometimes it gets so bad, we just unplug the landline which makes me think why continue with the service.
Neighbor spoofing is an awful type of spoofing, the only thing worse than that is the spoofing of official agencies such as law enforcement, the IRS, or the Social Security Administration by scammers to scare people into giving them money.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Consumer has little say. I'm on the fence about continuing with my Landline number (it's on a Tracfone now).
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
W2R, I had a similar experience with misdialed phone numbers back in my early working days in the mid-1980s. My office number was similar to both Egypt Air and a home-care nursing service. I was tempted to take a flight reservation for the former. Thankfully, I moved to a new desk and they changed my office number, freeing me from these minor annoyances.
My direct dial business number was one digit different than the CEO of a tech company and I would get 6 calls a day. Then I started answering that the CEO was no longer with the company. The calls stopped immediately!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I've recently been using the smartphone a lot...which I didn't, before.

Now I am getting junk calls and texts, which I didn't before. :-(

Edit: The problem with smartphone is that the caller's name/business doesn't display; just the number. So unless I recognize the number, I don't answer. Then I have to go look it up to see if they are someone I want to call back.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #35

One of the issues with blocking all robocalls is the occasional municipal notice of a “boil water” alert or city water main work, which affects our use of water for a day, would get missed. We let most of our land line callers go to voice mail, unless we recognize the name and number. We have two stories and a basement with 5 phones connected. Only 2 phones have ringers on and none in the bedrooms.

We never answer a call with a number and the name of a town. Also, we Ooma set to state the name of the caller as part of the ring tone. This allows us to virtually ignore the landline.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

My hairdresser has her business number on a cell phone that she uses exclusively for business. Her number was spoofed and she started getting lots of calls from people wanting to know why she had just called them! Obviously a problem for her! Unlike a personal number she could not just ignore numbers that she did not recognize.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

EastWest Gal, you bring up an issue with blocking robocalls that I hadn’t considered...occasional needed alerts. I guess that explains why I haven’t received calls from my garbage company about holiday schedule changes in a long time. However, I have had 4 blocked robocalls this morning before 10 a.m. I am sticking with the call blocker.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Edit: The problem with smartphone is that the caller's name/business doesn't display; just the number. So unless I recognize the number, I don't answer. Then I have to go look it up to see if they are someone I want to call back.
I'm nastier about it. For such calls, I answer the call, don't listen or say anything, and then hang up 2-3 seconds later. If it is important, they'll call back. Have had a callback once in the last year since I started doing it. If I don't do this, I end up with enough voicemails that I waste time dialing into, listening, and then deleting.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
EastWest Gal, you bring up an issue with blocking robocalls that I hadn’t considered...occasional needed alerts. I guess that explains why I haven’t received calls from my garbage company about holiday schedule changes in a long time. However, I have had 4 blocked robocalls this morning before 10 a.m. I am sticking with the call blocker.
If you know the number of the garbage company, you can enter that into your contacts and most call blocking systems will bypass the blocks. We had to do that with Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) where we lived in CA. One of their phone numbers notifying users of electrical outage information managed to find its way into a block list.

We chose the solution to let all blocked calls go to voicemail. In 9/10 spam calls, they never leave a voicemail. Most of the remaining leave a short 1-3 second call as they figure out to hang up. Those are easy enough to delete from the PC without needing to listen to them. The problem now is we can't keep up with the personal blocks for numbers not caught by the call blockers, so we're thinking about sending all calls to voicemail for anyone not in our contacts list.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #40

I hate to admit there are moments when a gov't sanctioned monopolistic phone company starts sounding good.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote