Rechargeable Batteries vs Leaking Alkaline Batteries

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I’ve finally gotten fed up with batteries leaking. This seems to mostly happen with the batteries in my remote controls. A few years ago I stopped buying alkaline batteries to use up my stock. I also bought some rechargeables from Costco (Eneloop).

I’m wondering what your experience has been with rechargables. Do they ever leak is my main question. Also, are there other brands that you would trust, or stay away from? My understanding is the Eneloop is a good brand but of course they’re expensive, even at Costco. But, I’m sure they’re a better value than buying some crap batteries. My main use is with AAA and AA. Is there any equipment that you wouldn’t use a rechargeable? Note, I would never use them in a smoke or CO2 detector. So far, I just have enough to cover my remotes but I want to buy more and move to essentially all rechargeable similar to what I did by going to all LED lightbulbs.

I made the move to mostly rechargeable batteries a few years back and don't regret the move at all.

Like you, my main use is AAA and AA. I also have converters (Eneloop brand) which an AA size battery slips in to fit C or D sizes.

As for leaking, I haven't had a rechargeable leak.

Best to get low discharge rechargeables. Especially for something like a remote or battery operated clock as you don't want to have to recharge every month for those things.

I've tried different brands and for me Eneloop seems to last the longest.

Some items require 1.5v batteries to operate. I have a fever thermometer that runs on 2 AA batteries, and only 1.5v batteries. I don't want to use alkalines as afraid of leaking. So, I got some rechargeable lithium ion AA sizes that give out 1.5V and are rechargeable by USB. Works great.

Another extra benefit of moving to only rechargeables is when a battery dies, no need to run out to the store and buy some more like alkalines.

Just recharge the batteries. Of course, that's assuming you have a good battery charger to keep those Eneloops in good shape :popcorn:.

I have had success using rechargeables in things that I use often, the computer mouse for example. I have some electric candles for decoration and rechargables work great in them. I do keep a supply of alkaline batteries in the event of a power failure.

I don't seem to have problems with alkaline batteries in remotes. They last a year or two then I replace them.

In my experience Duracell beats Eneloop in terms of endurance. I have never had a rechargeable leak, but I've never had alkaline leak either in less than 10 years.

Remotes are low-drawing devices, so rechargeables are overkill, i.e. expensive. Here the remote's batteries supplied by the manufacturer outlast the device the remote controls. I'd look into why your batteries are leaking so soon. Is the remote exposed to heat, such as sunlight or a heating system?

On youtube see Project Farm's evaluation of all sorts of batteries. For duration Project Farm has Duracell beating Eneloop too.

I used to buy batteries in bulk, like at Costco. Did this for years.

I found that after a year or so, perhaps two, a number of the batteries would start leaking. So the money I saved by buying bulk was erased. Plus I lost some flashlights as well.

So I tried Tenergy rechargables about 4 years ago. They don't have the energy storage capacity of non-rechargable but I have never had one leak. I will be staying with rechargables from now on just because of this.

Now I see Amazon has their own private label brand. Not sure how good they are but they did not have them when I chose Tenergy.

I’ve finally gotten fed up with batteries leaking. This seems to mostly happen with the batteries in my remote controls. A few years ago I stopped buying alkaline batteries to use up my stock. I also bought some rechargeables from Costco (Eneloop).

I’m wondering what your experience has been with rechargables. Do they ever leak is my main question. Also, are there other brands that you would trust, or stay away from? My understanding is the Eneloop is a good brand but of course they’re expensive, even at Costco. But, I’m sure they’re a better value than buying some crap batteries. My main use is with AAA and AA. Is there any equipment that you wouldn’t use a rechargeable? Note, I would never use them in a smoke or CO2 detector. So far, I just have enough to cover my remotes but I want to buy more and move to essentially all rechargeable similar to what I did by going to all LED lightbulbs.

No.

Stick with eneloops, even with the premium you have to pay.

I also buy AAA/AA Energizer lithium off eBay in bulk as primary batteries.

I used to buy batteries in bulk, like at Costco. Did this for years.

I found that after a year or so, perhaps two, a number of the batteries would start leaking. So the money I saved by buying bulk was erased. Plus I lost some flashlights as well.

So I tried Tenergy rechargables about 4 years ago. They don't have the energy storage capacity of non-rechargable but I have never had one leak. I will be staying with rechargables from now on just because of this.

Now I see Amazon has their own private label brand. Not sure how good they are but they did not have them when I chose Tenergy.

I mostly own Eneloop rechargeables. Needing some AAA rechargeables, I tried some Amazon low discharge rechargebles. Amazon's lasting time didn't come close to Eneloop.

In the past, I've bought some Rayovac low discharge rechargeables as didn't want to wait for shipping on Amazon and another time as there was a sale. Rayovacs are okay, but still the nod goes to Eneloop.

I haven't tried any Duracell rechargeables, so can't say from personal experience.

Rechargeable batteries can, although rarely, leak. If you google around you can find a few examples but since they rarely leak and regular batteries frequently leak rechargeables are a better bet. By the way, rechargeables sometimes do not work in demanding remotes like the Comcast one with voice control. That remote has to have 1.5V not 1.2V.

In those cases where you have to have more than 1.2V you can use lithium disposable batteries. They are much more expensive but they do not leak.

On youtube see Project Farm's evaluation of all sorts of batteries. For duration Project Farm has Duracell beating Eneloop too.

+1

That YT video is really detailed and definitely worth watching for anyone trying to decide between different brands of rechargeable batteries. IIRC, the test results showed that Amazon Basics "Silver", IKEA Ladda, and Costco Kirkland batteries had the best overall performance. Eneloop did surprisingly poorly.

Good information. Thank you.

I don’t have any idea why my alkaline batteries leak but I’ve never kept one in a remote more than two years and I seem to frequently get burned. My main alkalines have been Duracell however lately I’ve been buying Rayovac in bulk and trying to remember to swap them out every year. But, I’ve even had some Duracell’s leak in the package before the date on the battery. Duracell did give me a refund on those. I’m just tired of dealing with cleaning out my remotes. Thankfully none of them have been damaged to the point of no longer working. Plus, I do like that rechargeable batteries are less wasteful. Again, thanks.

Good information. Thank you.

I don’t have any idea why my alkaline batteries leak but I’ve never kept one in a remote more than two years and I seem to frequently get burned. My main alkalines have been Duracell however lately I’ve been buying Rayovac in bulk and trying to remember to swap them out every year. But, I’ve even had some Duracell’s leak in the package before the date on the battery. Duracell did give me a refund on those. I’m just tired of dealing with cleaning out my remotes. Thankfully none of them have been damaged to the point of no longer working. Plus, I do like that rechargeable batteries are less wasteful. Again, thanks.

I find that batteries leak in remotes that we don't use very often. We have one main remote that does all the every-day stuff and have never had a problem with that one, but every once in a while I go to use the TV's own remote or the DVD's remote for something and find that the batteries have leaked. After replacing two remotes a while ago, I no longer keep batteries in them. I have a plastic box for batteries in the coffee table drawer where the remotes also live and just install the batteries when needed.

We use Tenergy low discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries. We have not had a single leak after over 5 years of use. You can buy them on Amazon, Ebay, and other battery supply stores.

I have something like 64 Panasonic Eneloop AAs, and something like 16 Panasonic Eneloop AAAs. None have ever leaked, in more than 12 years of heavy duty use for some (camera strobes), and light duty use for others (remotes). While it may be overkill to use them in remotes, I'll never go back to using Alkaline batteries, except for 9Vs.

I have something like 64 Panasonic Eneloop AAs, and something like 16 Panasonic Eneloop AAAs. None have ever leaked, in more than 12 years of heavy duty use for some (camera strobes), and light duty use for others (remotes). While it may be overkill to use them in remotes, I'll never go back to using Alkaline batteries, except for 9Vs.

I even use rechargeables for 9V. Splurged on a good 9V battery charger that does trickle charging of 9Vs. Issue I have with Alkaline 9Vs is I use so little that often they die a shelf-life death on me.

We use Tenergy low discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries. We have not had a single leak after over 5 years of use. You can buy them on Amazon, Ebay, and other battery supply stores.

The problem with Tenergy low self discharge (LSD) is they don't hold their charge in storage as well as eneloops do.

I have both Tenergy & eneloops still in package from purchases in 2010 (back when they were branded Sanyo Eneloop, not Panasonic Eneloop)

I know from experience if I open any of those the Tenergy LSD batteries will be dead, but the eneloops will still have a useable charge.

BTW, the higher capacity the faster the self-discharge, which you'll see even within the different eneloop batteries (that brand now offers higher & lower capacity batteries)

I'd rather have the type that have a lower capacity but hold the charge longer.

Last edited:
I bought a cheap set of rechargeables at Costco years ago. They just keep going and going. Who knows how much I have saved over the years, but I would easily buy another set.

Edit, just looked at the brand, the are Eneloops.

Last edited:
So, I’ve been on the prowl for a sale on Eneloop batteries. Seems like anything under $2 is good. Came across a package of 12 AAA Eneloop batteries for $20. They should be here tomorrow. Costco had some Energizers on sale so I picked them up too. Didn’t like the deal because it was packaged with a charger and the C and D battery converters. It was identical to the two Eneloop packages I already had from a previous Costco deal. So now I have three chargers and more converters then I’ll ever need.

In the end though, I’ve now converted everything with a battery in my house to a rechargeable battery. Should be a long time before I need anymore batteries. I am however, thinking of getting a better charger. One that also discharges and provides more information, but that can wait. Maybe a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal.

So, I’ve been on the prowl for a sale on Eneloop batteries. Seems like anything under $2 is good. Came across a package of 12 AAA Eneloop batteries for $20. They should be here tomorrow. Costco had some Energizers on sale so I picked them up too. Didn’t like the deal because it was packaged with a charger and the C and D battery converters. It was identical to the two Eneloop packages I already had from a previous Costco deal. So now I have three chargers and more converters then I’ll ever need.

In the end though, I’ve now converted everything with a battery in my house to a rechargeable battery. Should be a long time before I need anymore batteries. I am however, thinking of getting a better charger. One that also discharges and provides more information, but that can wait. Maybe a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal.

As for chargers, I currently use 3 :LOL:.

Two that measures and can refresh/recondition bad batteries. Each can recharge up to 4 AA/AAA batteries at a time.

Plus a quicker charger that recharges only two at a time for when I travel and need a charger. Usually when traveling, I really don't need the charger with the newer low discharge rechargeables. But old habits die hard of when I used to bring along nicads that would die anytime and needed a quick charge.

I ended up getting this charger. It was on sale at Amazon and had good reviews both on Amazon and a couple of tech sites.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01852TBOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think you made a very good choice. Opus makes really good chargers.

I have a model BT-C2400 which is similar but doesn't charge Li-ion batteries like the one that you have. I also have an Opus 9V charger (a personal splurge :) after my other charger killed a 9v battery causing a bulge).

The Opus I have actually is a second choice. I had initially bought another brand but the spacing between the batteries was so tight I thought I'd electrocute myself trying to remove so ended up returning and after doing a lot of Amazon review reading, got the Opus.

Have Fun.

p.s. Here's a photo of my battery charger ... um... "collection" :cool::

Attachments

• battery testers.JPG
    battery testers.JPG
    505 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate everyone’s input in this. I now feel I’m in good shape to be fully rechargeable. Don’t think I’ll go with 9v as I only have a thermometer that uses a 9v. And of course there’s those little button batteries. But at least most of my usage (all my AA & AAA) will be rechargeable and leak free.

how long do the rechargable batteries last between charges? I have never had a charger and this thread got me interested. I use mainly AA and AAA batteries. do you think they are cost effective? I usually buy rayovac alkalines and have never had one leak, but have to be replaced a couple times a year.

how long do the rechargable batteries last between charges? I have never had a charger and this thread got me interested. I use mainly AA and AAA batteries. do you think they are cost effective? I usually buy rayovac alkalines and have never had one leak, but have to be replaced a couple times a year.

The low discharge rechargeables last a long time. Comparable I say to to Alkalines. I have some to run the LCD clock/speedometer on an exercise bike and haven't needed a recharge in years. I feel more comfortable with the rechargeables there as if I had alkalines, I'd be concerned about leaking.

As for cost effective? I'm not sure. I consider my charger/batteries an investment/hobby. I guess if the alkalines you have don't leak then cost wise you are probably better off. On the other hand, say you have expensive test instruments where batteries leaked due to alkalines. That could have been avoided with rechargeables.

Convenient, I think so.

The rechargeable batteries have to be a better value, however the payback period is very long. I’ve bought Eneloop batteries including a charger for $2 per battery and some without the charger for just under $2. A good deal on an alkaline is around or just under $.50. So four to five charges to break even. In my remote, that could be four or five years.

As indicated in my title, the main value to me is the non-leaking. Second is the waste. I recycle batteries, but it won’t bother me to not have to do that. Third and not really a consideration is cost. I’m just starting on this path so we’ll see.

Back
Top Bottom