Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Recommendations for a New AV Receiver
Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am looking for a new (or used) AVR Receiver. I do have specific requirements but do not want to spend a fortune. My trusty Onkyo 875 just gave up the ghost after 12 years, and I really do not want to bother to repair it. This thing weighs a ton anyway and needs a crane to move it...

My requirements are:

7.x channels as I need at least 1 powered Zone for the whole house speaker system (Normally channels 6 and 7)
I think I need 100w per channel as I have some up market B&W Kevlar Speakers (6 ohm)
HDMI inputs only are needed and would prefer HDMI 2
IR In and out jacks (I use a URC single remote RF - IR Central Remote system)

A Want but do not absolutely need is an Auxiliary Power plug that comes on when the Amp comes on line (Out of standby) as I have exhaust fans in the Cabinet that I would like to not have to manually turn on.

I have been out of the HiFi loop for years and really do not know what is available that fits my needs. I certainly do not want a Top of the line, model, or anywhere near one really. (the Onkyo was one of the best at the time, and I paid dearly for that). My Poor old ears cannot tell the difference now.

Any help would be appreciate.

Here is a pic of my setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HomeTheaterSetup-1.jpg (194.3 KB, 91 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quite a setup you have. Suggest you join the avs.com forum and post your inquiry there. Lots of audio experts/info on that site.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I would check craigslist because the market for high end equipment has disappeared. We can no longer count on young people buying.

I got a Pioneer 5 channel receiver for $75 a few years ago.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yes, looking at craigslist and all the local boards, even eBay has some options. I was hoping someone here would have done some recent legwork. I have seen some Sony and Denon devices that sort of fit the bill. But there are so many to choose from.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Quite a setup you have. Suggest you join the avs.com forum and post your inquiry there. Lots of audio experts/info on that site.
I agree with checking another site. I have a Yahama and really like it. It was a good price unit for the features I wanted at the time. It’s been several years now though so like you, I’d be hard pressed to know what to buy today. It sounds like you know what you need in terms of features. I’d just go buy the least expensive unit I could find that met your specks. I don’t think it matters to the majority of us. I never could really tell the difference unless the unit was complete garbage.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
gone traveling

I have always had good luck with Yamaha and Denon over the years and there should be plenty of models/prices to choose from with either brand.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I would want a receiver that had HD radio capabilities. The HD train has kind of left the station but there are still a couple of stations in our metro area that I like to listen to. One continuously broadcasts the BBC. Both our cars have HD and we have an HD radio in our bedroom set up with a timer as a clock radio.

I would also want a receiver with an RJ-45/Cat 5 jack and capability to connect to streaming audio. This could be over the internet or simply over your local network from a media server.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #8

This place always seemed like a decent place to get last year's models Denon (and others) receivers, refurbished, for a good price: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/1.html

I personally would consider the Denon X line.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The Pioneer Elite VSX-LX-104 seems to have the features I need to drive all my speakers. I am looking for a Denon equivalent.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had Yamaha and Onkyo home theater receivers the last 10-15 years and been really happy with them.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

ShokWaveRider - I just want to say you have a very nice looking setup. I will have to post a picture of my theatre so you can see what I went with. I love the built in speaker look. This time around I went with Denon. I feel the reciever works well and I have had good luck with it. HDMI switching is much better then it used to be. The Denon app stinks but the alexa integration is rock solid.
upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

If it helps this is what I went with after a lot of research.

ITEMS ORDERED
SKU Description Qty Unit Price Subtotal
DENAVRS940H DENON AVR-S940H 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts Networking A/V Receiver w/HEOS (DENAVRS940H)
Denon Factory Refurbished $319.99 $319.99
Order Subtotal: $319.99
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
GRAND TOTAL: $319.99
Old 09-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a two-channel audio guy, watching TV rarely and just playing it through my two-channel system when I do.

But I would recommend checking out NAD's AV products. As I was getting into audiophile type stuff, NAD was what I started with and I got some good value for the money. I think you'll find some deals on used gear because it's sort of entry-level audiophile stuff.

I have bought and sold several things on Audiogon.com. This is an interesting listing:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...8550-receivers
SAinMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My $300 Sony works for me.

High-efficiency speakers may not need 100w/ch to do the job.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post

A Want but do not absolutely need is an Auxiliary Power plug that comes on when the Amp comes on line (Out of standby) as I have exhaust fans in the Cabinet that I would like to not have to manually turn on.

Here is a pic of my setup.
If your reciever doesnt have this it's not a show stopper you can achieve the same thing with these power strips for $25. Our power company gave them to us for free for doing an energy assessment. They also changed out all of our bulbs in the entire house to LED and changed our shower heads. What a weird too good to be true program but I'm not arguing with free stuff that continues to save me money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPDYYSM..._8GzFDbYGNYJ8K
Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I like my Cambridge Audio receiver.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

They’re about to roll out HDMI 2.1, a major upgrade.

You may or may not need the features. For instance it supports higher bandwidth for things like high frame rates and 8k resolution.

Products will get announced at CES in January and ship throughout next year.

They may start with high end models at first though, as they typically have more powerful processors for the bandwidth.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
If it helps this is what I went with after a lot of research.

ITEMS ORDERED
SKU Description Qty Unit Price Subtotal
DENAVRS940H DENON AVR-S940H 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts Networking A/V Receiver w/HEOS (DENAVRS940H)
Denon Factory Refurbished $319.99 $319.99
Order Subtotal: $319.99
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
GRAND TOTAL: $319.99
Thanks, I will check it out also.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
If your reciever doesnt have this it's not a show stopper you can achieve the same thing with these power strips for $25. Our power company gave them to us for free for doing an energy assessment. They also changed out all of our bulbs in the entire house to LED and changed our shower heads. What a weird too good to be true program but I'm not arguing with free stuff that continues to save me money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPDYYSM..._8GzFDbYGNYJ8K
I have similar. It turns my cooling fans and subwoofer off/on when the receiver turns off/on. Works flawlessly.

I have two silent 120mm PC case fans that blow on my equipment in my cabinet.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Or take a look at this site.

https://www.avforums.com/homecinema/reviews/