Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
The FCC says controlling robocalls is a "top priority"
I seem to remember Congress saying a long time ago that balancing the budget was a top priority, too. One of these days I should check on how well they did on that.

Seriously, there are some excellent software solutions to blocking these calls. Well worth your time to look into them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Might be time for a tariff on all calls coming from outside the country. A few cents won't bother real callers, but will add up for the robocallers.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Does he have caller ID on the landline? If so, he'll love this call blocker. We bought one a bit over a year ago and it's been wonderful, and made a difference immediately after plugging it in. We're now up to 102 additional numbers blocked in addition to the ones it comes with. Yes, the robocallers do periodically change the originating number that is shown on caller ID but evidently not all that often. Yet.

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Cal...70_&dpSrc=srch
Thanks! I'll let him know. That said, I'm trying to persuade him to ditch the landline entirely. He is paying over $40/month for it, and gets virtually nothing on it but junk phone calls. I just don't see the point.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always wonder if anyone who gets one of these calls actually moves forward with obtaining any of the services offered by the robocallers. How miniscule does a positive response rate have to be in order to make any money? One in 100,000? That means 99,999 people become annoyed to some degree for every sucker who engages with them. And I don't mean the IRS scammers or any of those live caller scams, just the pure robocallers.

What a business model, annoying thousands and thousands of people every day in order to find the one sucker who will engage with them.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Maybe I found a smoking gun.

An hour or so before all these calls started I enrolled in Walmart Pay, which included providing my cell phone number. No way to know if that is the source of the sudden explosion of robocalls, but the timing is suspicious.

I'm going to try to cancel the account but I think Pandora's box is already open.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe I found a smoking gun.

An hour or so before all these calls started I enrolled in Walmart Pay, which included providing my cell phone number. No way to know if that is the source of the sudden explosion of robocalls, but the timing is suspicious.

I'm going to try to cancel the account but I think Pandora's box is already open.
I had a marked increase in spam phone calls a few years ago when CVS absolutely INSISTED on having my cell phone number if I was to get a flu shot there. They already had my land line number, but claimed that Medicare required my cell phone number too. That sounded fishy to me, but finally I gave up and gave it to them. A few days later, I started getting (seemingly unrelated) spam phone calls. I asked a manager to take my cell phone number off my account, and they did, but the calls continued.

My wild guess is that in my case, it was the individual employee, not CVS, who sold my cell phone number to spammers.

The silver lining to the cloud is that the calls slacked off in a month or so.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I had a marked increase in spam phone calls a few years ago when CVS absolutely INSISTED on having my cell phone number if I was to get a flu shot there. They already had my land line number, but claimed that Medicare required my cell phone number too. That sounded fishy to me, but finally I gave up and gave it to them. A few days later, I started getting (seemingly unrelated) spam phone calls. I asked a manager to take my cell phone number off my account, and they did, but the calls continued.

My wild guess is that in my case, it was the individual employee, not CVS, who sold my cell phone number to spammers.

The silver lining to the cloud is that the calls slacked off in a month or so.
No, it was CVS or a hacker targeting them. It's a great source for picking up phone numbers. They insist on you agreeing to receive phone calls to get your prescription. My number? 000-000-0000. Someone else mentioned using the local IRS number in another thread. When people insist on getting my cell phone number I tell them I don't use one. If you want to talk to me, use the land line.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

This past weekend, I started receiving robo calls from “Apple Support”. I hung up on them each and every time, but they left voice messages telling me that my iCloud account had been compromised and that I needed to press 1 to be connected to customer support to reset my account. Over a two day period, they called almost every hour or two, from different numbers, but always showing up as “Apple Support” on the caller ID. I kept blocking the numbers, but the calls kept coming from new numbers. And then (finally!), the calls stopped. Thank goodness, because I was about to throw my new iPhone out the window. It’s hard to put up with this kind of nonsense when there’s nothing you can do to stop it.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
This past weekend, I started receiving robo calls from “Apple Support”. I hung up on them each and every time, but they left voice messages telling me that my iCloud account had been compromised and that I needed to press 1 to be connected to customer support to reset my account. Over a two day period, they called almost every hour or two, from different numbers, but always showing up as “Apple Support” on the caller ID. I kept blocking the numbers, but the calls kept coming from new numbers. And then (finally!), the calls stopped. Thank goodness, because I was about to throw my new iPhone out the window. It’s hard to put up with this kind of nonsense when there’s nothing you can do to stop it.
That had nothing to do with your iPhone or iCloud account. I got a message once, checked my account, nothing suspicious, decided it was phishing.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #30

Final count for yesterday was 37, with 12 of those from the same number.

The count for today is up to 11, with only one of those from the number that called me a dozen times yesterday. Maybe they are giving up...
Old 10-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post

I got this one too! And I have never owned an Apple product.

I've found that if its the same # calling repeatedly its easiest just to block it. My phone has an internal feature via Android to do this.

I (usually) never answer unless it's a number I know or a name I know. I feel like answering the robot just confirms to the bot that its a valid # and keep spamming.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #32

I have been telling the robo scammers to add me to their "do not call" list. It seems to have helped. I am also on the "do not call" registry. They can get fined $16k for DNC violations.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I have been telling the robo scammers to add me to their "do not call" list. It seems to have helped. I am also on the "do not call" registry. They can get fined $16k for DNC violations.
My bold..do you really believe they will be caught, tried and fined?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My bold..do you really believe they will be caught, tried and fined?
Probably not. I would file a complaint anyway.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I have never found this helpful. Before I switched my land line to an internet-based system capable of adding Nomorobo to block calls (and my system has its own call-blocking feature), I sometimes "entered 1" to ask the live human to stop calling me and add me to their do-not-call list. They always just hung up on me before I could get more than 4 or 5 words out, they must get this all the time. And the robocalls keep coming.

With the call-number spoofing, you can't track down the source of the call to report them as a violator anyway, making the already-worthless DNC registry even more worthless.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Usually have a few calls a week but with a different twist the last two days -- my own cell number shows as the caller. I never answer calls from unknown numbers (or my own number lately) but sometimes add them to my block call list.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Final count for yesterday was 37, with 12 of those from the same number.

The count for today is up to 11, with only one of those from the number that called me a dozen times yesterday. Maybe they are giving up...
Wow. Those numbers are off the charts for me.

I get one or two a week; they are almost always the spoofed local prefix calls. I generally don't answer the phone for anyone who is not an identified contact, but when I see the call is from the same prefix as mine, I immediately know it's spam.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Usually have a few calls a week but with a different twist the last two days -- my own cell number shows as the caller. I never answer calls from unknown numbers (or my own number lately) but sometimes add them to my block call list.
I wonder what would happen if you added your own number to the blocked call list?
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I wonder what would happen if you added your own number to the blocked call list?
I did it a couple of years ago and it worked. I no longer call myself.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #40

But what do you do in an emergency when you really need to talk to yourself?