Join Early Retirement Today

Seeking recommendations for video editing software
Old 04-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

Seeking recommendations for video editing software

While I've been somewhat active with still photography in the past, I have done nothing with video. I don't want to do anything real fancy, just the basics, I have no delusions of being another Cecil B. DeMille. For example, yesterday I recorded a few two or three minute videos taken from a radio control airplane and I'd like to be able to subtract parts that are boring and add some music.

There are lots of these on youtube (search for "R/C FPV").

Oh yeah, it's always nice if the software is free/minimal cost. Some members here have posted neat videos that they made and now I'm wondering how they did it and with what software. While I do have MS Movie Maker (came with Win 10 I think) I suspect that it isn't terrific, or maybe it is for what I want to do.

Recommendations?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I was using MS Movie Maker (MM) on Windows 7 and would have continued to use it except that I had some video I wanted to edit that was in a newer video format that MM couldn't handle. So I went looking for a way to convert that video to a format that MM could handle and ended up buying a new video editor called VideoPad by NCH Software. (That vendor also sells a video format converter which I also bought but haven't had to use.) There is a limited functionality version for free for non-commercial use, but I opted to pay for the Master version.

VideoPad has more features than MM and therefore potentially more effort to learn, but so far I've been able to do what I want with minimal stumbles.

All that said, take a stab at learning and using MM because the concepts are probably similar in other video editors - and you should be able to do what you want with it so long as it accepts the video formats you feed it.

Below is a video I created using MM - it is really just a slide show with music. I created it by dropping still image files into a timeline. I could have just as easily laid down a track of videos with portions edited - or displayed a mixed sequence of stills and videos.

Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I'll continue on the learning curve with Movie Maker until it won't do what I want then look at videopad.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've heard really good things about DaVinci Resolve, a free video editor that's pretty powerful. If you've ever used Adobe Premiere, it's supposed to be a fairly good substitute for that. This is the one I'd use if I wanted to go beyond the very basics of video editing.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's not free but I am happy with Power Director 16. Probably overkill for simple cuts, but it works well if you start getting more involved in video work.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
While I've been somewhat active with still photography in the past, I have done nothing with video. I don't want to do anything real fancy, just the basics, I have no delusions of being another Cecil B. DeMille. For example, yesterday I recorded a few two or three minute videos taken from a radio control airplane and I'd like to be able to subtract parts that are boring and add some music.

There are lots of these on youtube (search for "R/C FPV").

Oh yeah, it's always nice if the software is free/minimal cost. Some members here have posted neat videos that they made and now I'm wondering how they did it and with what software. While I do have MS Movie Maker (came with Win 10 I think) I suspect that it isn't terrific, or maybe it is for what I want to do.

Recommendations?
I use Vegas Pro 14 for video editing. I have been using Vegas Pro since version 5. It does a great job with very professional results. I previously used Adobe Premiere pro but the early version were too unstable and too slow for me. After I switched, I never looked back. They have a low cost version called Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 for about $50.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.co...n/#productMenu

You can probably find it for less on Ebay.

Whatever you choose just keep in mind that you need a high performance PC and graphics card if you want to shoot and edit 4K video. If you are shooting just HD video or lower resolution, Vegas movie studio will do the job.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote