Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I thought there was a court case that stingray required a court order. Even if it doesn't require an order, it's not a wide net tool. The cops have to target a specific area.
In some states, probably about a half dozen, stingray use requires a warrant. There are other bills under consideration to make it a requirement, but it's not yet.

Quote:
Even then, I'm not convinced they can crack data which uses encryption, such as iMessage to iMessage.
True, they can't crack encryption. However, they can remotely implant malware into a specific phone to see everything that happens before the encryption occurs. See the recent WikiLeaks Vault 7 release for more details.

Quote:
Also, they have to set up stingray in a specific location and in advance of communications which could be incriminating. That communication would be voice or SMS.

But iMessage or other encrypted apps? FBI wanted Apple to crack the iPhone of the San Bernadino shooter's iPhone.
That was the entry code for the iPhone, and they hired a hacker who successfully did it for them. Nothing to do with encryption on that one.

My basic point is that with our own gov't focusing their immense resources on us, we're hosed as far as privacy. Tracking a car is far far down the list of worries for me. They can do that with EZPass, or CCTC, or many other methods. I don't like it any more than you do, but it is what it is.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
More than that, it makes for easy assassinations.
If somebody killed me, a peon, I would be simply murdered instead of assassinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
sent to me via email:

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

I don't think they can install malware (really jailbreak it so they can install spyware software) through stingray.

Cellbrite, the Israeli company which is suspected of cracking the iPhone in the San Bernadino case, sells its services to law enforcement and other governmental agency. It charges $1500 per unlock and subscription services as well.

However, it's doing so when they have physical access to the device, not doing it over cellular networks or some other remote methods.

But the company was hacked in January and someone released their tools.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I don't think they can get here quick enough. With all of crazies out on the road talking and texting all the time, it gets more dangerous every day. I'd much rather have a 100% dedicated robot driving next to me than some inexperienced teen who thinks he can text and drive simultaneously. Plus, I don't think I'd mind kicking back for a nap while my car gets me to my destination. Driving in my neck of the woods Is not my idea of fun (way too much traffic).
Yes.
I want one.
I can go to CA. from Chicago, traveling during the day, then sleep in my self driving van as it keeps driving. I could read a book, text my friends, write a novel all while I get to my destination.
It will make me independent when I'm too old to be allowed to drive....or too blind... or too drunk .

Extra bonus will be instead of the mile high club, there will be the 60 mph club

I think it will reduce the number of cars on the road, as I can be an Uber driver or rent out my car knowing the car itself does the driving. Who won't rent out their car so it pays for itself, knowing you don't have to worry about a crazy driver harming your car ?
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:24 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
The downside is that eventually all vehicles will be connected to Big Brother. Your comings and goings could be subject to the restrictions and whimsy of some government agency.
They are now in the sense that you can/are constantly tracked.
I know as I interviewed at a company that was doing that, and they claimed it was for traffic flow enhancement.
I told them they should call the FBI/NSA as I'm sure they would want to use the system.
It was already in multiple countries, not a theoretical idea.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes.
I want one.
I can go to CA. from Chicago, traveling during the day, then sleep in my self driving van as it keeps driving. I could read a book, text my friends, write a novel all while I get to my destination.
It will make me independent when I'm too old to be allowed to drive....or too blind... or too drunk .

Extra bonus will be instead of the mile high club, there will be the 60 mph club

I think it will reduce the number of cars on the road, as I can be an Uber driver or rent out my car knowing the car itself does the driving. Who won't rent out their car so it pays for itself, knowing you don't have to worry about a crazy driver harming your car ?
Me. I have a broad definition of personal space. I'm cheap frugal, but not that much. I would continue to have no problem with buying my own car, maintaining it, garaging it, etc. And I'd keep it for many years, just like now. But other than that, I agree with the reasons for wanting it. They pretty much echo mine.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:24 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes.
I want one.

I thought of similar scenarios, including having the car go to recharging or refueling stations when necessary, to allow for extended trips, where you could sleep and wake up hundreds of miles away.

But recently did a road trip and for the first time since I was probably a kid, I rode in the back seat and I tried to do some surfing on iPad and started to get car sick. It was a nice Lexus SUV but in the back, it was a bumpy ride and we just happened to be traveling in the mountains so the car was turning a lot on winding roads.

I would maybe take a train across the country or half way across the country (Chicago to CA) or more likely, I'd take a flight.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:10 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Me. I have a broad definition of personal space. I'm cheap frugal, but not that much. I would continue to have no problem with buying my own car, maintaining it, garaging it, etc. And I'd keep it for many years, just like now. But other than that, I agree with the reasons for wanting it. They pretty much echo mine.
I get your POV, but it sounds like you're assuming level 5 self driving cars will cost the same, or just a nominal premium, over today's range of car prices. I would expect the first few generations of level 5 self driving cars will cost way more than today's level 0-1 manual cars - how's that mesh with "cheap frugal?"

It may well be that once the technology is mature, the premium isn't that high. But I'd bet it will be decades between the first very expensive level 5 self driving cars and a day when they're priced for mass consumption. I'll be surprised if the car ownership paradigm doesn't change substantially with level 5 self driving cars.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Would one buy a Level 5 car when it becomes available, even if it costs $150-200K? Many posters here would when it gives them mobility that they would not otherwise, such as allowing them to do to a doctor or the hospital.

It is within their means, and when they become so invalid, they will realize that they cannot "take it with them". Besides, such a valuable car is an asset that can be passed down as inheritance, so it is not really wasted money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Would one buy a Level 5 car when it becomes available, even if it costs $150-200K? Many posters here would when it gives them mobility that they would not otherwise, such as allowing them to do to a doctor or the hospital.

It is within their means, and when they become so invalid, they will realize that they cannot "take it with them". Besides, such a valuable car is an asset that can be passed down as inheritance, so it is not really wasted money.
That's pure conjecture. Some or a few at $150-200K, yes. "Many," I doubt it, but it's certainly not a given.

We can only guess - but by the time a level 5 self driving car is within the financial reach of many people, many years if not decades may have passed - so we'll have already been forced to adapt to life without our own personal (level 5) cars.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure you'll be right, at first. But I doubt the cost differential will last for decades. My opinion is that it will just be a number of years. And I'm not an early adopter in general, anyway. I suspect that over a generation or two the car ownership paradigm might change the way you say, but I don't see selling fewer cars as a driving force for car manufacturers. I bet (we can check back in a decade or two) that trying to get the technology accepted will result in the typical price drop. Just like it doesn't cost that much more for a car with XM, navigation, ABS, all the other nagging warning beeps and blinks they've introduced recently. Don't forget the driving force behind manufacturing - sell more! Rich people first, then the rest will follow. And once the tech and code is (relatively) perfected, the cost to implement across the board won't be that high. Hardware and software are cheap, development is what's expensive.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm sure you'll be right, at first. But I doubt the cost differential will last for decades. My opinion is that it will just be a number of years. And I'm not an early adopter in general, anyway. I suspect that over a generation or two the car ownership paradigm might change the way you say, but I don't see selling fewer cars as a driving force for car manufacturers. I bet (we can check back in a decade or two) that trying to get the technology accepted will result in the typical price drop. Just like it doesn't cost that much more for a car with XM, navigation, ABS, all the other nagging warning beeps and blinks they've introduced recently. Don't forget the driving force behind manufacturing - sell more! Rich people first, then the rest will follow. And once the tech and code is (relatively) perfected, the cost to implement across the board won't be that high. Hardware and software are cheap, development is what's expensive.
Though I'm guessing it will take longer, you may well be right, I hope so frankly. I'm just inclined to push back on posts (mostly others, not yours) that a) seem to think they know how this will all play out, or b) judge the evolution of self driving based on old paradigms. All I know for sure, is none of us can be sure just yet.

As for how this plays out for car manufacturers specifically, I'm even more at a loss. Sure they will bend the evolution to their advantage if possible, but we've seen industries and paradigms turned upside down - with people confidently predicting it would never happen, until it did. The music industry has been forever changed. Postal mail has been forever changed. Books and newspapers have been forever changed. Brick-n-mortar and niche/specialty stores have declined substantially faced with etailers. The list is very long.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." source in question, Schopenhauer?

Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we are all conjecturing at this point. Predicting where technology will succeed and where it fails is hard. I already brought up the SST Concorde and the Space Shuttle.

But while we are talking about the possibility in the future (is this not the case as we have not seen a Level 5 car yet ), in the case the technology has not driven down the cost of Level 5 car down for mass consumption by the time you become frail and invalid, would you buy it at $150K? At what price would you "go for it"? Remember that you do not have decades to wait.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, we are all conjecturing at this point. Predicting where technology will succeed and where it fails is hard. I already brought up the SST Concorde and the Space Shuttle.

But while we are talking about the possibility in the future (is this not the case as we have not seen a Level 5 car yet ), in the case the technology has not driven down the cost of Level 5 car down for mass consumption by the time you become frail and invalid, would you buy it at $150K? At what price would you "go for it"? Remember that you do not have decades to wait.
You're asking me?

If so, whether the evolution to affordable level 5 cars takes years, or decades, we will most likely have been forced to use a level 5 car via car/ride sharing for years or decades. Having adapted, I can't imagine why I'd then want to buy my own personal self driving car unless it's net cheaper for me. I've already ridden in busses, taxis, limos and Ubers - sharing a vehicle doesn't bother me.

So there is no $ number threshold, it's which is more cost effective for me. We are a LBYM community after all...

Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

No, not you specifically, but a curious question for the readers to ask themselves how much they value their mobility in their old age, because so many posters have mentioned it.

About forcing people to share a Level 5 car because it is too expensive, I am not sure it will play out that way. Whether it saves life or money or not, American people value their freedom of movement so much that I am willing to bet no laws can be passed for that to happen. And then, while a car is just a transportation means to me, there's this American love of the cars.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Thought these charts might be useful on this thread (on the poll thread already).

Levels of self-driving autonomy:

Just one writers estimated timeline:

Driverless cars could reduce traffic fatalities by up to 90%, says report - ScienceAlert
Attached Images
File Type: png cars-safe.png (192.4 KB, 10 views)

Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You're asking me?

If so, whether the evolution to affordable level 5 cars takes years, or decades, we will most likely have been forced to use a level 5 car via car/ride sharing for years or decades. Having adapted, I can't imagine why I'd then want to buy my own personal self driving car unless it's net cheaper for me. I've already ridden in busses, taxis, limos and Ubers - sharing a vehicle doesn't bother me.

So there is no $ number threshold, it's which is more cost effective for me. We are a LBYM community after all...
The answer of convenience depends very much on where you live, inner city, dense suburbs, exurbs, or rural. The last two cases would be wait times of likley 30 mins for an shared auto. For rural folks they would want an self driving pickup anyway. Dense suburbs and inner city, likley 15 mins or less (although when I lived in Houston, and needed a cab it took 30 mins for it to get there). Or if you want to go on a driving vacation. Further it should be noted that you can still get a vehicle license for a Model T if you want (in fact you can get historic car plates).

But for example for a rural person they might want to drive their car on one of their fields to observe what is happening. Or drive on the lawn to load unload stuff from the back of the house. (Assuming no alley). This suggests that level 5 cars will still need an option for driver controls in these situations.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

That's a good point.

Also in need of a robot-car override: the person who works at a maximum-security installation, where they change the input/output routines randomly every now and then as an "anti-terrorism" measure.

Failure to comprehend the signs (written or otherwise) that direct you on the exact correct current route to your parking area, could result in a) not being able to park b) having a run-in with security guards c) something worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
But for example for a rural person they might want to drive their car on one of their fields to observe what is happening. Or drive on the lawn to load unload stuff from the back of the house. (Assuming no alley). This suggests that level 5 cars will still need an option for driver controls in these situations.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #179
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
And as cars take over more and more of the driving, the human drivers (especially the younger ones who will have known nothing but self-driving cars) will become less and less skilled. And situations that require manual intervention are generally the trickiest. So the skills will be lacking just when they're needed the most.
The Paradox of Automation. See also: The Asiana Airlines crash in San Francisco in 2013. The pilots had become so reliant on automation that they flew a perfectly good airplane right into the seawall, just a few feet short of the runway. Investigators discovered that of the thousands of hours of flying time in the pilots' log books, they were almost all accrued entirely under autopilot circumstances. They were career airline pilots who literally didn't know how to actually fly an airplane.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The answer of convenience depends very much on where you live, inner city, dense suburbs, exurbs, or rural. The last two cases would be wait times of likley 30 mins for an shared auto. For rural folks they would want an self driving pickup anyway. Dense suburbs and inner city, likley 15 mins or less (although when I lived in Houston, and needed a cab it took 30 mins for it to get there). Or if you want to go on a driving vacation. Further it should be noted that you can still get a vehicle license for a Model T if you want (in fact you can get historic car plates).

Well stated. Convenience/where one lives will be a critical variable. But so is cost. We can discuss all day and never reach a solution without having a common assumption on (relative) cost, and there's no solid basis on cost. If level 5 cars come to pass in sooner and at a lower premium to level 0-2 cars, more people will own them directly. But if level 5 cars take decades and start at a considerable premium, we may all have been forced to adapt to sharing, and won't need to own cars. The 'rural person who needs to observe their fields' will have already bought an ATV, golf cart, or a drone for that purpose. Or there might be real time Google Earth by then. We'll all weigh the cost of sharing vs owning, our $ resources, and our "convenience" needs/desires - and make our choice.

It's an aside to the above, but some posts are inadvertently further confusing the issue because we don't have common assumptions of self-driving - I was guilty of it not long ago. Some people are referring to level 3-4 cars, where others mean mature level 5 cars (the frame of reference I'm trying to work from).