Join Early Retirement Today

Shortcut to Automatic Passwords?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Shortcut to Automatic Passwords?

I have 300 or 400 shortcuts to different websites. Most require a password. My password list is four pages long, and my memory isn't very good.

My son told me years ago, that I should use a password manager, but I was arrogantly stupid. Now I'm ready, but am afraid that it will take me a weeks' work to sign on and add passwords. My remaining time is becoming more precious.

Is there some kind of shortcut I can use to do this?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are talking about passwords only on paper, then there really isn't a shortcut to getting them into a password manager although a manager like LastPass will assist you. If you have LastPass installed on your browser when you log into the website, LastPass will ask you if you want it to add the site to its database. It will then remember the url and the associated password. I suspect most PW managers work similarly.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #3

Dashlane will allow an import of passwords from a .csv file.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Dashlane will allow an import of passwords from a .csv file.
So do an OCR scan into the .csv file, then import to Dashlane.

Should take about 3 minutes.

Seriously, many scanners have OCR and will dump into .xls or .csv. You could try that and then "touch up" the mistakes. OCR for handwriting is sketchy, though. You'll also open up a security hole with this file before you get it into a password manager. Treat it carefully.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
So do an OCR scan into the .csv file, then import to Dashlane.

Should take about 3 minutes.
And hope that all the unique characters in the passwords (if he used any) are picked up correctly.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Too old for this...

installed lastpass, but so many pages of instructions I got confused, and ended blocking my access to ER... After I finally deleted lastpass, it showed up again ... one time, and allowed me to sign back in... after that, it disappeared completely.

aaaarrgggh... backto the stone age...
Old 07-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My son told me years ago, that I should use a password manager, but I was arrogantly stupid. Now I'm ready
Can you have your son come over and walk you through the process? That might be the best solution.

Personally, I've used 1Password for many years and I think it's extremely easy to use, as well as very safe.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
installed lastpass, but so many pages of instructions I got confused, and ended blocking my access to ER... After I finally deleted lastpass, it showed up again ... one time, and allowed me to sign back in... after that, it disappeared completely.

That's odd but it's been a long time since I installed LastPass so maybe it was harder than I remember. Once it installed and activated in my browser, I just go to a site, put in my username and password as usual then lastpass would offer to save it for me and I click OK and am good to go. It remembers both the website address and sign in credentials. It can also organize them e.g. financial, email, interenet, shopping, ets. Then next time, you can just click on the item within lastPass and it takes you to the login page where many times it will automatically sign you in. On some sites, you have to manually click to have LastPass fill in the credentials. Or worst case click copy username and/or password from with in last Pass and paste into the appropriate location.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #9

Which segues back to the original question. Instead of entering all the passwords en masses into the database, just have the program memorize them over time. After a few weeks you’ll be left with a list of passwords you haven’t used, many of which you may find you don’t need any more.

Anyway, that’s how it went for me when I switched from a PC using keepass to a Mac using Safari. But I had the advantage of being able to copy a PW using the iPhone version of keepass and pasting it into the Mac (a pretty cool feature of iOS and OS X integration).
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

lastpass comes well recommended. i use blur as an app that shares logins to the phone or tablet as well. both generate random login ids and passwords. At this point I have no idea what any of my passwords are... and I don't expect I will ever need to know.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

For many sites click forgot password and they will send you a reset link to your email. With LastPass use alt-G to bring up the password generator to auto fill the new password and the repeat new password. LastPass will then prompt you to save the site. LastPass works well for most sites, but some do give it problems and you have to revert back to cut and paste.
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Here's the instruction link that was over my head.... Not very good with "office: programs...

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/import...word-managers/
Old 07-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #13

Quote:

What OS/browser are you using? Seems like there must be something else going on, LastPass doesn't block access to web sites. As stated above once LastPass is installed and an account created it shouldn't take a whole lot of work on your part. Make sure you are logged in to LastPass, the LastPass icon on your browser will be red when you're logged in, black if not. When you login to a site not already saved LastPass will prompt you if you want to save it. When you open the login page of a site saved in LastPass just right click on the LastPass icon in the login window and select the 'log in as' option and LastPass will fill in the info. There are some websites that LastPass seems to have trouble with but not many, it works fine with e-r.org.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Advice from someone who doesn't know anything (take it for what it's worth) - looks like the page that confused you was intended for someone importing (into Lastpass) passwords that are already stored in another password manager. (I don't think your paper list counts as another password manager <wink>).
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Can you have your son come over and walk you through the process? That might be the best solution.

Personally, I've used 1Password for many years and I think it's extremely easy to use, as well as very safe.
+ On 1 password. Works great. Just make sure to make a super hard master password. I use a pass phrase that is 8 random words long
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpeting_angel View Post
Advice from someone who doesn't know anything (take it for what it's worth) - looks like the page that confused you was intended for someone importing (into Lastpass) passwords that are already stored in another password manager. (I don't think your paper list counts as another password manager <wink>).
You're right... I clicked on the wrong link... It was the rest of the links to instructions that confused me...

as:
Quote:
Help Center and FAQs
LastPass Families
Families Shared Folders
Family Manager Dashboard
Getting Started with LastPass
Downloading and Installing LastPass
Using LastPass on Your Mobile Device
LastPass App for Mac OSX
Navigating the LastPass Browser Extension
Logging into LastPass
Your LastPass Vault
Using Folders for Organization
Adding & Filling Sites
Editing an Existing Site Entry and Editing Form Fields
Importing Passwords
Account Settings
Emergency Access
Browser Extension Preferences
Sharing & Share Center
Shared Folders
Secure Notes & Attachments
Generating Secure Passwords
Using LastPass to Fill Forms
Protecting Your Account with Multifactor Authentication
Filling into Windows Applications
LastPass Security Challenge
LastPass Credit Monitoring
LastPass Command Line Application
LastPass via USB
Windows 8 Metro
Bookmarklets
LastPass Now Free On All Devices
Migrating Accounts From Meldium to LastPass
Uninstalling & Deleting
Site Map
LINKS:
LastPass Website
LastPass Blog
Enterprise User Manual
Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Four pages of passwords!

C'mon, how many of those really need 'protection'? Unless it is a financial institution, just use a common password. Something like:

nVi99#11 or something (not Very important, number, number, special char, number number.

That should take care of 99% of the battle.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Four pages of passwords!

C'mon, how many of those really need 'protection'? Unless it is a financial institution, just use a common password. Something like:

nVi99#11 or something (not Very important, number, number, special char, number number.

That should take care of 99% of the battle.

-ERD50

Agreed... But... the sites are already there, and the passwords were added over a 10 year period. Changing just one password sometimes takes three or four or more steps.... back to Email then to website old pwd, new pwd twice, or special code to phone.

i don't have that much time left.

... and, my "computer" son lives 300 miles away.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Might want to use a password manager that is updated locally on your computer. You have one master password the manager program which then stores the rest of you user ids, passwords and other information like URL and notes.

Would take some elbow grease to enter the current ones into the manager but once when done, so much simpler (and safer) IMO, then on paper.

If you pace yourself and commit to entering 20 passwords a day, then for 400 passwords that, well 20 days. Once you get started entering, might get addictive and you might enter more than 20 a day.

Years, back I had a keylogger on my computer so to be safe had to change and re-enter all my passwords and what IDs I could change.