Join Early Retirement Today

Smartwatch recommendation wanted
Old 06-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Moto G6. I also have a Fitbit Versa. They have compatibility issues. My Versa will not consistently receive call and text notifications from my phone.

I am looking for a smart watch recommendation that will work consistently with the Moto G6. I also need step counting function. Hey, I want get my 10,000 steps each day. The Versa is very good at step counting.

Does anyone have a smart watch that they use with a Moto G6 and would recommend?

FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
I have a Moto G6. I also have a Fitbit Versa. They have compatibility issues. My Versa will not consistently receive call and text notifications from my phone.

I am looking for a smart watch recommendation that will work consistently with the Moto G6. I also need step counting function. Hey, I want get my 10,000 steps each day. The Versa is very good at step counting.

Does anyone have a smart watch that they use with a Moto G6 and would recommend?
I have the Fitbit Versa and once I switched from a Moto G to a Samsung S7, the compatibility issues went away. No problems with notifications or syncing once the Samsung was connected.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Well that would be another way to go...switch the phone not the watch. I do like my G6. It is a good phone.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well that would be another way to go...switch the phone not the watch. I do like my G6. It is a good phone.
My Moto died so I went with a used S7.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My Moto G6 is still working well. I bought it last November...Black Friday sale. It is just too good to replace at this time. I am frustrated with the syncing and notification problems, but will probably keep the Moto for now.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not what you wanted but:

I have an iPhone and an Apple Watch. Great combo.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love my Apple watch. My wife has an google device and has had good luck with Garmin's fitness watch. Seems very accurate. Right on par with my Apple.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I love my Apple watch. My wife has an google device and has had good luck with Garmin's fitness watch. Seems very accurate. Right on par with my Apple.
You need GPS to get accurate numbers when you are hiking or running in terrain. I imagine the non-GPS work OK for flat city streets.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, Apple/iPhone or Samsung/Samsung would be the best combo but probably not in my budget at this time.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:

Are you thinking of replacing the Versa or the Moto? I use my Versa with an older iPhone and it seems to work well.

I have about a year of experience with the Versa and like it very much except for the fact that it has to be paired with the iPhone for accurate GPS.

Iíll stay with it for now but Iíd probably consider the Fitbit Ionic with built-in GPS (or whatever current model does) in the future.

Iím addicted to the Fitbit sleep stage analysis.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Apparently there are apps for phones which will use the phone GPS to give accurate results. Maybe that is all you need? I looked this up and Google Fit is one app that is free.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I would prefer to keep the Moto. It is my first non absolute bottom of the barrel smartphone (my previous phone cost $30 new ....but on sale). I have only had this phone since the end of November and I am still happy with it.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

A phone app to count steps will not work for me. I donít have my phone with me at all times. One of the reasons that I want text and call notifications to work consistently is that often the phone is in one room and I am in another.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
A phone app to count steps will not work for me. I donít have my phone with me at all times. One of the reasons that I want text and call notifications to work consistently is that often the phone is in one room and I am in another.

I tried a free phone app for activity tracking and researched several but they were all deficient in some way and/or used ads. After a couple of months I bought the Versa. From comments here on e-r.org it seems others also like competitors (Garmin comes to mind).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #15

Not right now, but I expect the Apple Watch will be available untethered from an iPhone in the next year or so.

Apple is introducing an App Store on the watch when they release the new WatchOS this fall. Also, developers will also be able to write apps for the watch that are independent of an iPhone (not possible today).

So I predict(!) that Apple will start selling Apple Watches that don't require an iPhone in the fall of 2020.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #16

One of the Garmin watches would probably be a good choice. I have a Moto G5 Plus and a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and notifications seem to work well. It will track daily steps and notify you when you reached your goal, also has a built in heart rate monitor. I like using the GPS function of the Garmin when out for a run or hike to get accurate distances.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
I would prefer to keep the Moto. It is my first non absolute bottom of the barrel smartphone (my previous phone cost $30 new ....but on sale). I have only had this phone since the end of November and I am still happy with it.
I recently purchased a Fitbit Charge 3 and it is syncing well with my Moto g5s. The Charge 3's are on sale at Costco for $109.99 ($30 off).
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
You need GPS to get accurate numbers when you are hiking or running in terrain. I imagine the non-GPS work OK for flat city streets.
Both I mentioned are GPS.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Both I mentioned are GPS.
Thatís good. For some years I used a Garmin Vivofit. When I switched to the Apple Watch I was dismayed to find that a 5.6 mile run in the hills was really 4.4 miles. But then I am a bit of a data junky.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Thatís good. For some years I used a Garmin Vivofit. When I switched to the Apple Watch I was dismayed to find that a 5.6 mile run in the hills was really 4.4 miles. But then I am a bit of a data junky.
Interesting. Accuracy of both the Garmin and the Apple seem to be excellent when calibrated against other devices like our bike computers.