Join Early Retirement Today

Speedtest results export
Old 08-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speedtest results export

Like many, Ive been a user of Speedtest to measure network performance. Most often I use it on a wifi connection (I have no devices except an Ooma Telo directly connected to my router).

Id never realized that Speedtest makes it easy to export results in CSV format. On my iOS devices this is done by clicking the share icon while viewing the results screen. It drops you into your email with a prepared message containing the CSV data as an attachment.

Its pretty convenient and easy to work with to analyze with your favorite spreadsheet program.

I wish Id have known this before as it can be useful in many instances when troubleshooting!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #2

Good and useful tip, thanks.

I found Speedtest useful a couple of years ago to discover my ISP was charging me for 50 Mbps and only delivering 20. The argued with me that the advertised rate was not guaranteed blah blah, but after pushing them hard enough they finally admitted they had failed to throw the switch on their end.

[Holy cow, I just ran it after reading this thread and got 94 Mbps. They must have upped the speed to nominal 100 and I missed it.]

{edited again to add} So, I thought I'd check their current offers and the slowest speed is now 150. Grrr... A call to them fixed that.

GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speedtest is a well known destination that ISPs can give it preferred routing/access.
I always get higher speedtest numbers than I measure downloading files.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Speedtest results export
Old 08-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

Speedtest results export

Im surprised to see that my iTouch Speedtest results go back to mid-2016. Lots has changed over that time including homes, in-home networking equipment and even a change in ISP (Time Warner to Spectrum, both are Charter I think).

The deltas in the measurements are whats interesting to me. I also had to work with Spectrum to get them to deliver the speeds advertised with the plan. It changed the measurement from about 50 Mbps to 200+ Mbps.

I see noticeable variation depending on the time of day and wifi band in use.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Speedtest is a well known destination that ISPs can give it preferred routing/access.
I always get higher speedtest numbers than I measure downloading files.
I've timed downloads of big files from fast sites as a validation. Curious...where do you upload to for your speed tests?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote