Join Early Retirement Today

T-Mobile One Unlimited 55+
Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

T-Mobile One Unlimited 55+

I know there are a few T-Mobile One subscribers here, hence the PSA.

If you're 55+, then T-Mobile has a new plan for you. A much better option than the $80 deal after kickback.

Quote:
Starting August 9, qualified customers can get two lines of T-Mobile ONE — America’s best unlimited on America’s best unlimited network — for just $60, taxes and fees included, with Autopay. And that comes with unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data along with great T-Mobile ONE benefits, making T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55+ the best deal — hands down — for today’s modern, mobile adults age 55+.
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...limited-55.htm
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, I should check that out. I'm on AT&T in Seattle WA at $90 and only have 2GB of data. Have gone over a few times in the last year. I signed a 2 yr deal however so not sure if I can get out of it.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

Amazing! Thanks, tulak.

I've been enjoying the $80 for unlimited two phones, so a 25% price cut is a really great deal.

Haven't had a single problem since switching to T-Mobile (including European roaming), so they're doing a lot of things right.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Amazing! Thanks, tulak.

I've been enjoying the $80 for unlimited two phones, so a 25% price cut is a really great deal.

Haven't had a single problem since switching to T-Mobile (including European roaming), so they're doing a lot of things right.
We're going to Germany with unlimited calling for $15 on T.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

If you can put together people on a family plan you can get a better deal.

I have me, my DW, DS, DM, and DD combined on our family plan (unlimited voice, text, and 16 GB of data) for $200 or $40 each on ATT. We all own our own iPhones, so that a separate expense.

It's not unlimited data, but we use all the data we want and have never use the 16GB up.

The other problem I have with T-Mobile is coverage. I use them for my iPad (I signed up for their free 200MB of data each month - whatta deal!) and though their coverage is create in big cities and along most highways, if you are in the country side, their coverage usually disappears. At least that's been my experience.

* I actually get $25 off as a discount for having work for my previous employer, so that's an even better deal for me.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

[QUOTE=mpeirce;1920481]

The other problem I have with T-Mobile is coverage. I use them for my iPad (I signed up for their free 200MB of data each month - whatta deal!) and though their coverage is create in big cities and along most highways, if you are in the country side, their coverage usually disappears. At least that's been my experience.
QUOTE]

We are part of a family plan with DSI and DD on Tmobile. We have been doing a fair bit of international traveling and love the free text and data when overseas. You don't have super speed data but good enuf for emails and limited browsing. Had great coverage when we were touring China in May--actually better coverage in the Yangtze Gorge than we get 10 miles from town. ;-)--no cost texting as well.
OTOH--we leave in a rural area and definitely have very spotty coverage outside of town. On our 300 mile trip to the Westside of the state to visit DD, we travel half of it on a state highway and about the only coverage we get is when we cross a US hwy and in the center of the farm towns we pass through. Once we are on the Interstate, we are good.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #7

Thanks for posting this. I've got Ting for our family... and it's pretty cheap -but my teenagers chafe at me limiting their data to 2.5G/month. (I think that's plenty -but they always run out before the end of the billing cycle. ) With all the fees/taxes/etc it ends up being about $140 for 4 phones (DH, Older son, younger son, and myself.)

If DH goes in and puts himself and one son on the deal, and I go in and put myself and the other son on the deal... we're $20/month ahead and the kids are less whiny about data limitations.

I like the travel part too... We're probably going to Europe again next summer.

Again - thanks for the heads up.

snippet of why this will work:
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mo...e-unlimited-55
Quote:
Do you require BOTH people on the account to be 55+? Do you require an ID check for everyone on the account?
No, we don’t. To sign up for 2 for $60, only the primary account holder must provide proof of age. This offer is limited to a maximum of 2 voice lines.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

IDK about this plan, But I have T mobile, 10 cents a minute. Awesome deal. Never a problem with coverage where I go.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I signed up for T Mobile in March anticipating using their $.20 voice service in Europe. That lasted 2 1/2 phone calls in Spain and my service suddenly went off. Their customer no service dept. in Manila couldn't/wouldn't help me, and I told them to cancel my service in full. I never heard from the company or even got an initial bill.

Since then, I have really enjoyed having no cell phone. Since ER, I seldom talk to anyone on the telephone--other than my wife--and she's always with me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish I could add two years to my age.
Seriously, I like the T-Mobile data plan that is valid worldwide (mostly). I use Google map when I am in other countries. Even in countries like China with restriction on Google products, Google map with a T-Mobile data plan works.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
gone traveling

I'm with net10, they work off the T-Mobile network and I'm on the unlimited $50 8gb/mo LTE. Been great for 2 months now
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for posting this - we've been looking to switch from a prepaid US Cellular plan that costs the same as this from T Mobile but doesn't have the unlimited aspects for everything. We'll check it out on Saturday at the closest store.
LeaveVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I just read the fine print and called them. It is all good. No free phones or phone deals though, but that is OK. the only downside I can see is that Hotspot speeds are only 3G unless you pay an extra $10 per line. I use the hotspot a lot as it is a lot more secure than ANY other Public WiFi. But I do not stream Video on it. It is also good in Canada and Mexico for data and calling.

Thanks for the heads up. We currently pay $110 pm month for 2 lines. so that represents a $50 savings pm. If I choose to go with hotspot LTE on my Line. (DW does not know what it is ) We will still save $40pm.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I know there are a few T-Mobile One subscribers here, hence the PSA.

If you're 55+, then T-Mobile has a new plan for you. A much better option than the $80 deal after kickback.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...limited-55.htm
That's one thing in retirement I'm not looking forward to. I haven't had to pay for a phone since 2001.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
That's one thing in retirement I'm not looking forward to. I haven't had to pay for a phone since 2001.
Ain't it the truth. You gotta buy your own phone, laptop, hotspot...
Old 08-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #16
gone traveling

Switched to Ting 2 weeks ago. Interested to see how much I actually save. I do have DD on the plan (before and after) and have limited her Data. No screaming yet.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #17

Went to my local T-Mobile store this afternoon to sign up.

Took about five minutes and I'm good.

$60 a month for two iPhones, unlimited everything, free roaming overseas. What's not to like? I was paying around $100 with AT&T, plus another huge chunk of change on every trip to Europe just for the roaming privilege.

T-Mobile rocks!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
T-Mobile rocks!

I agree.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Switched to Ting 2 weeks ago. Interested to see how much I actually save. I do have DD on the plan (before and after) and have limited her Data. No screaming yet.
I have ting. I don't hear the screaming from my teens until they actually run out - typically about 5-6 days before the end of the billing cycle. That's with 2.5 G... which I think is MORE than enough.

They are very anxious for me to change to t-mobile - but my DH is out of town and I need him as the 2nd 55+ you to get the 4 of us switched over.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have tried T-Mobile twice. Both times they lied about their coverage. Both times they refused to refund my payment, forcing me to reject the charge on my Visa card.

DW and I are on Project Fi. $35 for two phones, unlimited calling and texts, and cheap or free service in 135 countries (https://fi.google.com/about/rates/). Data is $10/GB, which does not sound too great until you see that any you don't use is refundable. We don't use much data. In the four or five months we've had the service, our data bill has been around a dollar per month. One month it was 97¢, another IIRC it was around $1.25. This month (6 days left) I think it will be right around $1. Data is the same deal in all 135 countries.

So, for us, the T-Mobile offer is unattractive even if I had not sworn to never use them again.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote