Join Early Retirement Today

Tablet - Apple vs Android
Old 04-08-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Morning All -

Like to get a tablet for the DW. She uses her current Windows laptop mainly for internet access, emails. Her new Samsung S7 Android phone she uses mainly for email, text, phones.

I am looking to get her a tablet so its easier for her to carry when on travel than a laptop but provides a better viewing capability than a phone. Her eyesight is getting limited so real emphasis on brightness and clarity.

We saw the new Apple iPAD - she really liked the display so right now its a leading candidate. As a Windows/Android user (never had an Apple) just concerned about interoperability. Most of family have Android phones/Windows PCs - just want to make sure she can continue using text messaging, emails, Facebook, ... with the rest of the family if she got an iPAD.

Any advice? Any experience? Trying also to be frugal. The new iPAD seems very reasonable at $329.

Thanks

Kannon

kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 04:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interoperability is not a major issue. Apple would never have gotten to where it is if it didn't recognize that it was at a disadvantage in that regard and worked really hard to eliminate that disadvantage. The issue really is that Apple makes a boutique device for the mass Market. It's just as good as an Android and an Android is just as good as Apple's devices, the major differences are just style and price. And Apple is really smart ... they charge a pretty significant premium for what you're getting (both at time of purchase and with follow on purchases) because their style is more consistent with the current trends. If pride of ownership is a major part of your tablet purchase then there's a good argument to be made for an Apple device. If instead you are looking for the best device for the price you're going to find that with an Android device instead.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #3

If anything, Apple devices are easier to use than non-Apple devices, so this should not factor into the decision. If she likes it and you are comfortable with the price, then go for it!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
We saw the new Apple iPAD - she really liked the display so right now its a leading candidate. As a Windows/Android user (never had an Apple) just concerned about interoperability. Most of family have Android phones/Windows PCs - just want to make sure she can continue using text messaging, emails, Facebook, ... with the rest of the family if she got an iPAD.
An iPad or an Android tablet will easily handle those and a lot more. DW and I have been Windows users for decades, we have a desktop PC and a laptop PC. We got iPads in 2011 and iPhones in 2014. Not only can an iPad handle any social media, text or email, I routinely send Excel and Word files from my PC to my iPad and they work without issue on Numbers and Pages (though you can buy Excel and Word for the iPad). And I have iCloud (Apple) on my PC, so all our contacts, Mail, calendar entries, reminders, photos and other stuff is automatically kept current beteeen our Windows and Apple devices.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #5

I would start by looking at what software she uses and then see if there is a difference between the two platforms in being able to run it. Email, calendar, etc. should synchronize. If she is on Google that is not much of an issue, but for other software it may be.

If you travel, check out Google Project Fi. $20/month calls and texts plus $10/Gig data pay only for what you use. Cell and data in 130+ countries at low or no extra cost and no fooling with buying sim cards in each country. I just bought a Project Fi phone (Android of course) and have PF data SIMs in both my and my wife's Nexus 7 tablets. Not sure if the data SIMs will work with Apple.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Ok I am on my 3rd iPad (one was a casualty of bad handling by me) my present iPad professional, wireless only is definitely over kill but I'm a techie and I love it. These things are intuitive, easy to use and learn and will quickly become attached to your hip. Ask anyone who wears glasses the panic that happens if you temporarily lose you glasses. It will be the same with that iPad...

I'm carrying a library with me ...its my iPad.

Edit: the glass screen protectors have improved dramatically.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Just a point to consider....

We bought the new Ipad for my DW since her old one was not getting the wifi signal as well as it used to....

She cracked the screen in less than 48 hours!!! Her old one she had for 5 or more years and no crack... it is a small crack that is in one corner and not over the viewing screen so she will have to live with it....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We are currently almost all Apple and they all can easily share their files, like photos and book downloads. I imagine a non-Apple device could be set up to access them too but for me that might not be easy or as intuitive. So if OP's DW wants to share a new tablet's files on other devices, that would be a consideration. (I started with a mini iPad and then replaced the non-Apple siblings with Apple products when they needed replacing.) ETA I see Midpack mentions sharing across platforms.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

We bought the new Ipad for my DW since her old one was not getting the wifi signal as well as it used to....

She cracked the screen in less than 48 hours!!! Her old one she had for 5 or more years and no crack... it is a small crack that is in one corner and not over the viewing screen so she will have to live with it....
To be fair, how did it happen? Most tablet and smartphone screens are fairly tough, so it doesn't happen without a significant impact, and they can be replaced. And there are screen protectors, cheap insurance.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Take it to an Apple store--they might consider there was a flaw in the screen and just replace it or repair it.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #11

Always buy a good case not just a screen protector for whatever device you buy. Trust me, I learned the hard way.
For what it matters, 3 time iPad owner. Love them.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Administrator

I've had an iPad for 4 years and for the first 3 years had a Windows laptop. Sharing files, including spreadsheets and photos was very easy. Contacting friends and relatives continued to be easy as we all used Skype and Skype works very well on the iPad.

I'm a big user of calendars and Google calendar works just as well on the iPad as a Windows device so sharing that utility was also not a problem.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Before 2010, I was strictly on Linux and Windows.

Then I got my first free iPad mini. Then my kids brought school iPad home. For subsequent compatibility, iOS is preferred.

Last night on my google wifi, out of 10+ devices, only 2 are laptops. The others apple.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
Before 2010, I was strictly on Linux and Windows.

Then I got my first free iPad mini. Then my kids brought school iPad home. For subsequent compatibility, iOS is preferred.
Sounds familiar. I always saw the iPad as an expensive toy and didn't consider buying one, then I got one as a retirement gift in 2011. Now I wouldn't be without one. Led to an iPhone a few years later (dumped our Android phones). But I may never drop WinPC's for a Mac. But then I don't have to, they all work together almost seamlessly.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #15

You won't be able to send text messages, meaning SMS over telephone networks, to non Apple devices.

iPads and iPhones come with iMessage, which can send messages between rpeach other as long as you have Internet access.

That Internet access could mean wifi at home or iPads which come with cellular data modems for $129 more. Notice I said cellular data modem. You can't send voice or SMS messages like you can on iPhones or Android phones.

So iPad can send iMessage to other iPads or iPhones. You can also get third party apps like WhatsApp or Viber to send free messages over the Internet or send SMS messages to phones for a small charge.

There have been some apps which promised to send "free" or ad-supported SMS but I don't believe those have lasted, since phone companies will charge you to connect voice or SMS to their phone networks.

I imagine the situation is similar on Android tablets.

Generally, iPad has way more apps. With layouts designed for the larger screen, which usually have different aspect ratios, than Android tablets.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
You won't be able to send text messages, meaning SMS over telephone networks, to non Apple devices.

iPads and iPhones come with iMessage, which can send messages between rpeach other as long as you have Internet access.

That Internet access could mean wifi at home or iPads which come with cellular data modems for $129 more. Notice I said cellular data modem. You can't send voice or SMS messages like you can on iPhones or Android phones.

So iPad can send iMessage to other iPads or iPhones. You can also get third party apps like WhatsApp or Viber to send free messages over the Internet or send SMS messages to phones for a small charge.

There have been some apps which promised to send "free" or ad-supported SMS but I don't believe those have lasted, since phone companies will charge you to connect voice or SMS to their phone networks.

I imagine the situation is similar on Android tablets.

Generally, iPad has way more apps. With layouts designed for the larger screen, which usually have different aspect ratios, than Android tablets.
I'm not sure I'm following this, unless you mean several years ago. I know you can send texts from my iPad or iPhone using iMessage to any smartphone, and even dumb phones. I have a buddy with an old dumb SMS only flip phone and we exchange texts all the time. No third party apps, or added costs, required on either end.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm not sure I'm following this. I know you can send texts from iMessage to any smartphone, and even dumb phones. I have a buddy with an old dumb flip phone and we exchange texts all the time. No third party apps required on either end.
I think the point is that if your iPad is WiFi only, there is no way it can access the phone network for SMS texts. Of course this doesn't apply to iPhones, so you can send SMS to non-Apple devices from an iPhone.

Edit:

Well, I spoke too soon. I see that there is now a relay function that allows your WiFi iPad to send and receive texts via your iPhone or iMac. Does need to be set up, but doesn't look too difficult. Requires iOS 8.1 or later.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I think the point is that if your iPad is WiFi only, there is no way it can access the phone network for SMS texts. Of course this doesn't apply to iPhones, so you can send SMS to non-Apple devices from an iPhone.
You can send SMS or MMS texts from a WiFi only iPad to any other (non-Apple) capable device as long as you're connected to a WiFi network. If he's saying a WiFi only iPad can't text when it's not connected to WiFi, that's true, but that's true of any WiFi only tablet - not just iPads. What am I still missing?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

See my edit above.

Also: http://www.ianswerguy.com/sms-text-messages-on-an-ipad/
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #20

To the OP, if your wife is currently using an Android phone, than an Android tablet will be easy to learn. In addition, you then have interoperability. If she liked the display on the IPAD, then any of the current Samsung devices have equally great displays (and price tags).

I just moved from an old Samsung 10" to a Nvidia Shield tablet. Unfortunately, this one is not one you see at a local store. At 8" the display is amazingly great, and the processor is fast (Nvidia makes processors). Nvidia has also been very good about Android upgrades. As you know, with most Android devices, you generally only get one OS upgrade. The tablet came with Android 5.0, upgraded to 6.0 over the air at set up, and currently runs on 7.0, as Nvidia released it to all tablets when it was available. Unlike Samsung, there is not a lot of excess apps you won't use, so, the Google store is your friend.

- Rita

Tags
android, apple, tablet