Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The 2019 cell/smart phone plan thread
Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been on a roll lately, looking at all my media costs. I figured it was time to look at the cell plans out there. What are you all using? What do you like?

I currently have AT&T with an unlocked Moto phone. The monthly fee is about $90 for two lines. It is grandfathered, but pretty close to Mobile Share 3GB They say $40 per line "plus fees." The fees on my plan are $12 per month. Grumble.

I'm looking at T-Moble 55+. Any opinion? They list at $70 per month (2 phones), "including taxes and fees." Really? That isn't bad.

An outlier plan I'm looking at is Republic Wireless for about $40 to $50 per month for two phones (depending on data usage). Not sure it includes fees. A friend has it and likes it. I'm not sold. I decided to try it for a month on an older phone and just see how it goes.

The unlocked phones work on any and all of these carriers. I'm a huge fan of unlocked, customer owned phones.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm looking at T-Moble 55+. Any opinion? They list at $70 per month, "including taxes and fees." Really? That isn't bad.
That is what we have but at $60 as we were early adopters. The best decision we ever made (for Phones that is) and dropped our land lines at the same time.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Depends how you use your phone. I don't talk all that much and don't use my phone for things that require data very often so I have a tracfone that cost $100 and spend around $100/yr for services(talk/text/data). I have had the same phone for around four years with no problems for around $100/yr.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Cricket. $100/month for 4 lines unlimited data taxes and fees included. Speed is slower than ATT but we don't notice as phones are usually on Wifi. We're also very happy with our Moto G phones and we've had G3's, 5's, and now G7's. I stock up on Cricket gift cards when Kroger is running the 4x fuel points sales and every once in a while Target will offer discounts on gift cards.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldConch View Post
Cricket. $100/month for 4 lines unlimited data taxes and fees included.
Yeah, I see for 4 phones+ this can be a nice plan. We have 2 so not as nice.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Depends how you use your phone. I don't talk all that much and don't use my phone for things that require data very often so I have a tracfone that cost $100 and spend around $100/yr for services(talk/text/data). I have had the same phone for around four years with no problems for around $100/yr.
I used to be with a plan like that back in the Virgin Mobil days. Loved being able to pay under $10 per month.

However, I admit the data usage is compelling. DW and I use about 1G each per month. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Your point is well taken for this thread. A lot of people fall into this basic usage category and you can get a really good deal. Stay away from the big boys if you are a basic user.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're getting our cell service through Xfinity/Comcast for $13 a month, each. Not unlimited, but it's all we ever need. Our cable bill is $200 a month, but that's every channel they offer, high-speed internet, land line, and one cell phone.

DH switched last year because you could bring your own iPhone. I am an Android person, and they just opened up the bring your own Android, so I'm going to switch next week. That will make our cable bill $213. My AT&T is $48 a month now.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Mint Mobile unlimited talk, text, 8GB data per month normally $20. Special Buy 3 months get 3 free so cost for 6 months with taxes and fees was $67. Uses the T-Mobile network. The T-Mobile 55+ plan was not a good deal for me because I only need one line.

Previously with Virgin Mobile using the Sprint network. Mint is far better here.

Using Moto G7 unlocked phone.
agh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

I have Republic with 2GB/mo and it's $23.55 or something, all-in. I had a plan where they gave you your money back for unused data, but lost that when DD gave me her old phone. Disclosure: DD works on the Relay team at Republic. So cell phone plans like this are not her department, but I must admit, I'd like to see Republic be successful
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I have Republic with 2GB/mo and it's $23.55 or something, all-in. I had a plan where they gave you your money back for unused data, but lost that when DD gave me her old phone. Disclosure: DD works on the Relay team at Republic. So cell phone plans like this are not her department, but I must admit, I'd like to see Republic be successful
Me too, seng. They are in our back yard after all.

They cut costs in a lot of different ways. We'll see. I bought a SIM card and it is in the mail now. I'm going to give it a try for a month or two as an extra phone before porting anything.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #11

My wife is on the Republic wireless plan $23 a month unlimited talk, text and 1 GB data. Of course, WiFi data is free so she finds the 1GB is adequate for her needs. Phone is a Moto G6. For myself I use a Samsung Galaxy J3 on a tracfone plan (1200 texts, 1200 talk minutes, 1.2 GB data) for about $120 a year. The phone cost me $50. I don't use my phone much except on WiFi so that cheaper plan works for me. So our total annual phone expense is about $400.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

T-Mobile 55+ best plan we've had. I'm not much of a phone user outside of w*rk, I spent too much time the phone at w*rk (Thank God that's done!) so I avoid it as much as I can. DW, on the other hand, great Lord Almighty. She's not as bad as some kids, but it gets close.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #13

We've been using Ting for 6 years. Very happy with the service. With Ting, you pay for what you use. So it's very cheap for light users. Over 5 years, we've averaged $37/mo for two smartphones. Ting provides access to both the Sprint and T-Mobile networks.

However, recently we've started using more mobile data, mainly due to more travel by car using navigation and other services on Android Auto. So our Ting bill has crept up into the $50-60 range. In addition, I've been less than thrilled with the availability of T-Mobile once we get out in the boonies.

So based on this post by pb4uski in another thread, I just ordered SIM cards for Airvoice Wireless. For $18/mo, you get access to the AT&T network, which should work better than T-Mobile off the beaten path. Plus unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data for each of our phones. And no junk fees. So total bill for the two of us will be $36/mo. Our current shared data usage on Ting averages 2-3GB. So I think we should be fine with the 2GB each on Airvoice Wireless.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #14

Wife and I have MetroPCS (now "Metro by T-Mobile") and pay $30/month each all-in for unlimited talk/text + 2GB high speed data before throttling.

Daughter has her iPhone on Virgin Mobile and gets unlimited talk/text + 10GB high speed data before throttling for $30/month + state sales tax.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I’m currently with Verizon at $55/month. I’m in a pretty “wired” community and my data consumption is very low. My ISP is Spectrum who provide a number of secure wi-fi hot spots that my phone automatically joins with the installed Spectrum profile.

I read a couple of comments recently from people who like Consumer Cellular so I gave them a call this week. It seems they use AT&T and T-Mobile, will assign based on their service maps but you can request one or the other.

I’ll likely switch in the next month or so and see how it goes. I fulfilled my VZ contract a long time ago so it’s a good time to check alternatives. Consumer Cellular would be a noticeable savings for me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There's no doubt that Ver and ATT have the largest coverage. T-Mo has some holes. I don't like the Beckley, West Virginia hole for example, since we stay there from time to time. But no holes are as bad as Sprint's. Live in the Dakotos or are visiting? Might as well not turn on the phone.

At least T-Mo is upfront and has a handy map where you can switch between the 4 major carriers, showing their own warts and all.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #17

We had phones on Republic and Google Fi and we ended up switching all to Google Fi. Cost for 2 phones on Fi is $35/mo ($20 for one and $15 for each additional) + $10/G for data. We usually use about 1.8G between us, and with taxes and fees end up at less than $60/mo.

We switched because Republic's coverage was sometimes iffy, and they don't have any international roaming at all. Roaming is included with Fi -- they charge ~20c/minute for voice calls overseas, but data is the same $10/G and it's high speed. I love not having to find a sim for my phone and communicate the new number to elderly parents at home. If they need us, they can just call the usual number no matter where we are.

We have "designed for Fi" phones that switch between the T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Sprint networks to get the best service. Depending on which moto you have, yours may also be in that category. We have a moto x4s. If your phone can't do network switching, then you stay on the T-Mobile network and have the same coverage they provide.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have Tracfone. I am light user so it works for me. The past couple of years I have been able to get by at $50 per year. Tracfone eBay store has been offering a one year, 3gb, 1200, talk, and 1200 text for $50 recently. That works for me.

I just can’t bring myself to go with a more expensive plan. I strongly considered the T-Mobile 55 plus plan when it came out because of the international coverage. It was $60 per month for two lines then and is still a very reasonable $70 for two lines now. I decided against it because T-Mobile’s coverage in rural areas near me is not strong and also, because frankly $30 per month for DH’s line is way too much. I am a light user but he is almost a non user. Really I am overpaying at $50 per year for him, ha, ha. I guess that I am just lazy and don’t research a cheaper plan for him.

I had an unlocked Moto G6 and really liked it. I now have an unlocked Samsung S9 and it is a good phone. I would recommend either phone.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #19

I'm a very light user, have been with Tello (Sprint MVNO) for the past 2+ years, currently on the $5 plan with 500mb 4G LTE data and unlimited texts, and I pay for calls at 1c per minute as needed from my PAYG balance since I'm a texter not a talker. I'm a Spectrum Internet customer so I have free access to tons of WIFI hot spots all over so I don't even use much of my data.

You can build your own plan depending on your needs or their most popular plan is $14 including 2GB data and unlimited text and calling.

+1 on buy your own unlocked phones to save a ton of money. I just bought my latest Moto G6 play for about $71 sold as open box but as best I can tell it's brand new on EBAY. This is my 3rd Moto phone in the last 5 years or so.

As Joe noted, Sprint is not great in all areas but for me it's good in Los Angeles, Orange County up through the High Desert all the way to Las Vegas and Laughlin Nevada where any savings on the phone bill get spent rather quickly....
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #20
Administrator

We pay $81 per month, including all taxes and fees, for 2 lines with Verizon. Unlimited talk & messages, 10GB of data, unused data rolls over.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote