Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Yes, my Dish>PS Vue savings have dropped from $600/yr to $540/yr. Not surprised, I can live with it...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Technology costs:

1. Entertainment

OTA w/ HTPC DVR (4 program sim. max) $0
Internet $40
Hulu $8

Entertainment costs total $48

2. 2 cell phones unlimited + 5GB data $70

Total Monthly Technology costs $118
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #43

I could live without the major broadcast networks, but DW wants them. OTA is not an option for us, so we have to subscribe to something. Right now we have PS Vue "Access" for $40, going to $45 with the increase announced yesterday. This provides a nice lineup of ~50 cable channels as well as the major networks, plus a really good cloud DVR and lots of on-demand. DW watches it more than me. I don't watch fictional programs at all. Just YouTube and documentaries where I can learn something.

Our internet is FiOS 50/50, which we love. But an alternative for us is to get Charter 30/5 (we have an old legacy Charter cable network). That would enable us to get Spectrum TV Choice for $21.99 (all locals, including PBS, plus 10 cable channels of our choice from a list of 65). I think that could work for us. They have on-demand but no cloud DVR functionality, which sucks.

Anyway, our internet would go down about $10/mo and TV would go down $20. I think we'd be just fine with 10 live cable channels plus the major networks. And $21.99 seems like a fair price. It would be really nice to get live PBS back for the syndicated shows that you can't get on the app. With the PS Vue price increase, I'm looking at this option a little closer. We also subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and PBS Passport.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Not too surprising, but I just got an email from the PSVue folks. The price of my mid-level package is going up from $45 to $50 per month,effective August 31. An increase of over 11%. .
You mentioned 'cutting the cable'. How about if you did that?

I have no PSvue here.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They can keep their streaming platforms and I will keep my money.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Hopefully not for us - as an early subscriber we grandfathered in at $35 forever for 'go big' package.
I too am a first-day Go Big plan subscriber and am currently enjoying a $35/mo. pricing. I’ve read in several forums that my rate will increase by $5/mo. starting in August.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Very odd....I use Direct TV and have to run the phone gauntlet every 2 years to get any savings extracted. My present two year $20 off discount was expiring this month (Could have had $30 off for 12 months but didnt want to call again in 12 months, lol ). Anyhow, I just received a letter thanking me for calling and accepting a $20 monthly discount for an additional 2 years (and thus stay under contract, also). The odd thing is I never called. I am fine with it as I was going to call, but now I dont. This has never happened in the 20 years I have had Direct. I suspect its no accident and they are trying to claw into the existing customers and keep them from leaving.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

We find cable worth the money. I went to my son’s and watching TV was very complicated and a PITA when he was not there and I didn’t have enough choices.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We find cable worth the money. I went to my son’s and watching TV was very complicated and a PITA when he was not there and I didn’t have enough choices.

To each his own, and if someone wants to cut the cord, or like internet apps and tv, I certainly respect that....But, I am retired and not interested in learning things I dont want to learn. I huff and bluff to save a few bucks to amuse me, but I have zero intention of ever cancelling my “cable”. $3 a day for having any channel I need on the channel number I know where its at is worth it...Just like having my A/C cranked low...Well worth the $4 a day to be comfortable.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes the hype about cutting the cord for TV is getting to be passe'. PS Vue has glitches too. System hangs, pixel problems, down time, performance issues. I would complain and try to get a credit but no one to contact reliably. I would drop but the sports coverage is very good. However, the big sporting events tend to have performance issues. Tried Youtube Red yet?
sonarvord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

If you live close (or, if lucky, walking distance) from a public library in a metro or suburb of a metro, the library can provide a huge chunk of your entertainment wants at no additional cost. They're part of your taxes, so take advantage. I check out television and movie content weekly. I also bought a ChannelMaster DVR+ (recently discontinued) in 2015 (primarily for NFL), but have branched out into wasting my time more elegantly with PBS content. Buying a DVR was an excuse for watching more television. My outlay for all the gear was about $300 at the time. I consider it a great expenditure for making my entertainment "efficient" (that is unless you are entertained by commercials) time-wise. I have trouble watching any tv if it isn't recorded now. Spoiled.
pc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:27 AM   #52

Does anyone have a solution for recording and watching NFL games on game day without having traditional cable? We don’t like TV so we cut it after the Super Bowl, but we may have to go back on cable in the fall. So far we have been unable to find a way to DVR NFL games on game day without having cable. We will not watch the games “live” ... way too many ads ... but also want to watch them the same day as the actual game.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:07 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarvord View Post
Yes the hype about cutting the cord for TV is getting to be passe'. PS Vue has glitches too. System hangs, pixel problems, down time, performance issues. I would complain and try to get a credit but no one to contact reliably. I would drop but the sports coverage is very good. However, the big sporting events tend to have performance issues. Tried Youtube Red yet?
Depends on where you are I guess. PS Vue has been more reliable than Dish Network satellite for us. Picture quality is as good or better, and we lost signal due to weather with satellite occasionally, internet reliability is much better. We’re not having any of the issues you describe regularly, and it seems to be getting better all the time. I wonder if your internet connection is adequate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
if you prefer cable, that’s great. But streaming doesn’t have to be any more complicated than satellite or cable, must be in your son’s setup. If it was complicated, my DW would have demanded we go back to satellite. She got the hang of it in a day or two, and has her friends asking about it - they’re all still paying 2 to 5X more for cable or satellite.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Does anyone have a solution for recording and watching NFL games on game day without having traditional cable? We don’t like TV so we cut it after the Super Bowl, but we may have to go back on cable in the fall. So far we have been unable to find a way to DVR NFL games on game day without having cable. We will not watch the games “live” ... way too many ads ... but also want to watch them the same day as the actual game.
I've been using Channelmaster DVR+ for 3 years with an antenna direct antenna for recording OTA. I live in San Diego, so a big bonus was getting about 90% of the World Cup games recently on Telemundo live through Tijuana stations and in HD. Although channelmaster dvr+ has been discontinued, there are other alternatives. The dvr+ isn't perfect, but its gotten the job done. Some people have had buggy units I've read avforum website, and the initial remote was a terrible design - my remote died, but the replacement remote has been great. You might be able to find a DVR+ on the cheap now or used, but there is a chance you get a lemon maybe. I've been happy with mine on the whole. It may be worth the risk, may be not.

Here's a few ideas:
https://www.techhive.com/article/317...d-cutters.html

www.channelmaster.com

I was hoping channelmaster would refine and improve their dvr+, but they opted to contract the design out for their new stream+! That left me disappointed, although the new "stream+" is significantly cheaper. Noticed on the new unit a deal-breaker for me in you can't watch and record the same stream while its recording - at least the review read like that - horrible if true.
pc95 is offline   Reply With Quote