Join Early Retirement Today

travel computer/tablet?
Old 10-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

travel computer/tablet?

Hi,
I used to own an iPad mini. It was great for surfing, emails, and fun stuff. I ended up selling it because of its size. I have a nice iMac for our family desktop.

Now I'd like to get a tablet, slim laptop, etc that would be good for traveling with, or using in bed at night.

Tablets are nice but I abhor using one for entering text so, I am looking for something like a 2in1 or ultra slim laptop. A Chromebook is intriguing but, I fear it would be limiting. I'd like something with actual keyboard.

What have other folks used or like?

Prime candidates:
Dell XPS 13
MS Surface
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a 27" iMac (love it!), a 13" MacBook Pro and 11" MacBook Air. The 11" is a nice size not much larger or heavier than an iPad but much more capable.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #3

For the purpose you describe, I think you'll be extremely happy with the Surface.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

I ended up picking up an Acer One 10 for under $200. It does everything I need for travel. It is a full Win10 laptop with a removable IPS touch screen that acts as a tablet. I added an SD card and travel mouse, installed MS office, and good to go.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

There are tablet cases with integrated keyboards.

I'm looking at a Lenovo Flex 6 14" for $650 at Micro Center to use while traveling. My old laptop is about 7 years old and is a lot heavier then the new ones that are out.

You may want to wait until BF, many of the retailers let you purchase online.
GA_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I use an HP Pavilion x360 2 in 1 laptop/tablet purchased in 2014. It has served me well, keeps on going and is starting it's fifth year. Just replaced the battery. In laptop mode it has a keyboard. The touchscreen flips all the way over and it is a tablet. It is great for travel. I actually use it as a desktop at home with wireless full size keyboard and mouse and an extended second 24" monitor. I selected this model as at the time one location I needed it was ethernet, no wireless.
user5027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #7

We used to travel with a laptop, but found that we never used it much, if at all. Instead, anything we need to do while traveling can be accomplished on our smartphones. So we just leave the laptop at home now. In fact, we never really use it at all. At home, we either use the main desktop PC in the office or our smartphones.

Typing is old school. I just tap the mic button and dictate text. DW still likes to peck away at her phone. A few days ago I asked, why don't you just tap the mic button and talk? She said, I don't like to talk into my phone, it's weird. I raised my eyebrows and she realized what she had said. She's starting to use the mic more.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Hi,
I used to own an iPad mini. It was great for surfing, emails, and fun stuff. I ended up selling it because of its size. I have a nice iMac for our family desktop.

Now I'd like to get a tablet, slim laptop, etc that would be good for traveling with, or using in bed at night.

Tablets are nice but I abhor using one for entering text so, I am looking for something like a 2in1 or ultra slim laptop. A Chromebook is intriguing but, I fear it would be limiting. I'd like something with actual keyboard.

What have other folks used or like?

Prime candidates:
Dell XPS 13
MS Surface
We love our 12 inch MacBook for travel. It’s so light, slim, compact, yet fully functional. Easily slips into a large purse for carry-on.

We had a 13 inch MacBook Air before this, but this is even lighter/slimmer/smaller and we like it even better.

We do use it a lot while traveling. I keep up with my finance stuff and travel research. We upload photos, send emails with photos. DH uses it quite a lot.

I also carry my iPad mini for reading, surfing, etc.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I used to own an iPad mini. It was great for surfing, emails, and fun stuff. I ended up selling it because of its size.

We usually leave the electronics at home on vacations, but we sometimes take my iPad mini or old Kindle Fire to read books on or play the occasional game.

However, there are times when you want a "real" computer while traveling. Typing on a tablet or texting on a phone is a pain. Last year I picked up a Lenovo N22 laptop with Windows 10. It's a decent little computer with a 11.6" screen and a real keyboard. The small size is great for traveling, it easily fits in my carry-on bag and weighs almost nothing. The small keyboard does take a bit to adapt to. I probably wouldn't write the next great novel on it, but for occasional tasks it works fine.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Chuwi 10" last year to take to Europe. It is dual-boot Win10/Android. I bought a case/keyboard to protect it. Detach the keyboard, and it becomes a tablet.

The whole thing weighs 1.5 lbs. The screen resolution of 1920 is quite decent, and you just have to move closer to see everything. I paid less than $250 for tablet+keyboard. I found it when surfing the Web, and users raved about it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

I have the iPad 9.3 with me all the time when I travel. I also can purchase a soft keyboard if I like. But I’m ok without it.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #12

MY wife has a Surface Pro which she loves. I like it too.
One thing I'm not thrilled with is detachable keyboard. If I get a machine I don't want it configurable, with removable parts. I go back and forth on that.
So, I am thinking a Surface vs. some other ultraslim laptop.

I'm leaning away from Apple. We have a nice iMac 27" as our desktop machine and we have iphones.
I'd like something to support WIN apps and programs I think.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #13

If you want to spend the money, I love my iPad Pro. The keyboard attaches to it with a connector so it is not Bluetooth. It also serves as the cover.

Except for the statement that you want to use it in bed, I’d get a very light and cheap laptop for travel.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I just upgraded the travel box to a Google pixel book.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #15

I have a Surface Pro as well, and I'm generally very happy with it. I never detach the keyboard; if I want to use it as a tablet, the keyboard folds back and becomes a base for the stand. This holds the screen at a convenient angle for watching videos, etc.

I will say that many Windows apps do not work all that well with a touch screen. If what you want is a true tablet, you're better off with an iPad or Android equivalent. On the other hand, if you make frequent use of the keyboard, and/or need a full computer OS, then iPads, etc., won't cut it.

As others have pointed out, the Surface keyboard is not great, so if that's important, you're better off with a true laptop. There are 'convertible' laptops with non-detachable keyboards, that still fold back to use as a tablet ... the Dell XPS13 2-in-1 is an example. The keyboard on that machine is pretty decent.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #16

Another vote for the Surface Pro...if either you need something full-featured, or cost is no object. I got one because 1) it's nice to have a lighter alternative to my MacBook Pro, and 2) it runs some work programs that the Mac doesn't. But if you are looking for value and don't need a lot of performance, add this Bluetooth keyboard on to any tablet that fits your needs. It's fairly thin and light, and works with anything that has BT (so, pretty much any phone or tablet manufactured in the last 10 years). There's a newer version for a couple of dollars more (the link is below the product description), which might be worth it, but I linked to the one I have.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

For traveling, I bring along a used laptop. I too prefer the feel of physical keys when typing.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For traveling, I bring along a used laptop. I too prefer the feel of physical keys when typing.
Me too. I need a full laptop. I bought a refurbed laptop and put an SSD in it. Runs fine and it didn't cost much so if i breaks while traveling I won't feel that bad.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #19

That reminds me, the Anker keyboard I linked to above seems to use the same keyboard as my 2014 MacBook Pro. The keys are in EXACTLY the same layout and shape, the printing on them is the only difference AFAICT, so that's one more plus in its favor! I've also bought a lot of Anker plugs, batteries, and other peripherals, and I've been very happy with all of them.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I traveled with laptops for years working. Went thru one Chromebook which was good for traveling. But when we found Fire 8 tablets for $40 each on an Amazon sale, we bought 4 of them. They are Jim Dandy to travel with, especially with their long battery life.
Although I have a new Dell laptop for doing personal business, it stays at home when traveling. I can plink away on the Fire 8's well enough to take care of business and return emails--and have no reason to use the laptop while I'm away.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote