Join Early Retirement Today

Unusual Roku event
Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unusual Roku event

I use a Roku 3 (pretty old but very reliable, purchased in 2015). Yesterday I was settling in to watch a ball game on TBS which, for me, is through Sling.

The Roku reported it was not connected to the Internet, behavior I’d never seen before when all other devices including the TV had active network connections.

Running through various Roku menus, I found that a user name associated with the device was “sassygirl4u@xxx.xxx” (xxx.xxx = a well-known domain). Very strange and my first thought was: hacked!

I’ve since reset everything, checked all connected devices through the router utilities and hope it was just an unusual event.

I also decided to disable the “guest” networks that were visible to all but only rarely used. The SSID for the main network isn’t broadcast. I can easily re-enable guest access on an as-needed basis (e.g. overnight visitors).

I wonder if any other Roku people have seen similar behavior?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You don't have a teenage boy at home do you? Had to ask lol.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/how-...-being-hacked/

How to Protect Your Roku from Being Hacked
by Luke Bouma on February 15, 2019

./.

It is important to remember that for this so-called hack to happen the people trying to control your Roku need to also be on the same Wi-Fi network. You can easily prevent these kind of hacks by having a strong Wi-Fi password. So, make sure your Wi-Fi password is not easily guessable.

[mod edit for copyright compliance. mode detail here ]
Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I saw similar a few years ago, where I knew who was using my roku account without permission. I recall you can get additional information by logging in through your PC/Mac browser. Then change the password.

I don't allow guest access through my LAN router.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Fast replies - thanks!

No teenagers in the home to my knowledge... but Sassy is back so I have to investigate more. I just logged into my Roku account on the web and all appears as it should be. I no longer receive any bills through Roku and disabled my Hulu account earlier this year.

I wasn’t aware of the advanced Roku system settings so thanks for that too. I’ve disabled “Device connect” and “Network access > Control by mobile apps”. Then I reset network connections.

I confess that I had a VERY weak password associated with my account so that was in need of attention.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Administrator

Have you done a factory reset to the Roku device?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unusual Roku event
Old 08-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Unusual Roku event

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Have you done a factory reset to the Roku device?

I hadn’t. Until now. [emoji6]

With that done (seems to reinstall all channels I’d used in the past), sassygirl is gone and the correct account is listed. Now, if it had been steelygirl, I’d have understood.

I think I’ll be watching this closely.

Thanks all for replies/tips/suggestions!

[ADDED] I also made the same access restrictions suggested earlier in the thread after the factory reset.

I’ve noticed a setting Privacy > Advertising that allows you to 1) limit ad tracking and 2) reset advertising identifier. Clicked on those for good measure.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hadn’t. Until now.

With that done (seems to reinstall all channels I’d used in the past), sassygirl is gone and the correct account is listed. Now, if it had been steelygirl, I’d have understood.

I think I’ll be watching this closely.

Thanks all for replies/tips/suggestions!
Might not be a bad idea to change your router and Roku passwords, and also those of any login you perform on the Roku device.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Might not be a bad idea to change your router and Roku passwords, and also those of any login you perform on the Roku device.

Most definitely. The Roku password was crazy weak...