Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you use Alexa? (not siri or ok google, or other voice recognition)
I do use Alexa 62 34.25%
I don't use Alexa 119 65.75%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #21

No, I am a bit technologically challenged.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am wary of using a device which collects minutiae of information about me. Obviously I use the internet, bank electronically, etc. But I want to preserve my privacy as much as reasonably possible.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #23

Too much like the telescreens in 1984. Gives me the shivers just thinking about having one in the house.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know what any of these things are but that wasn't one of the selections on the poll. Don't know if I want or need one. But then I like to cook my own food from fresh too.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

A caution:
Quote:
"Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside." - Alexander Pope
My son presented me with my new Echo Dot... along with a summary of his experiences and knowledge learned over the past three months.

I am now convinced that this is not a passing fancy, but perhaps the front edge of an evolving technology that will go far, far beyond turning lights on and off. With more than 15,000 Alexa "Skills" now available, we can only guess at the future possibilities.

Imagine... infinite, immediate language translation. Imagine, a sea change in education... Instead of group learning, geared to the lowest common denominator, to personalized individual learning, paced by ability and positive reinforcement. Imagine immediate person to person communication both at work and at play. Imagine the many thousands of "help" courses, from dieting to exercise, to training of all kinds, geared to a central process for proven results... immediately available to everyone.

Let me suggest this article which is limited to using Alexa for free voice/video communication between app users. While a cursory reading seems not far removed from what we can do today, my sons stay connected using Alexa, and one son, who is involved in a IT in a commercial food business, is beginning to use the current technology to connect and work with his employees.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/11/how-...-for-free.html

Will be interesting to follow this technology, in whatever form, over the next ten years.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
We were an early adopter. Use it in the kitchen. Our most used features are:
- Hand's free music
- Grocery lists
- Timers

All three are incredibly useful when you have your hands full while prepping meals. DW likes to find "easter eggs." We don't use any advanced features (if this then that, etc)
I can do all this with my cell.

For those on recording background talk, without really knowing the code or or monitoring the data sent from the device. The little blue light is most likely the processor turning the light on. The same could be said for your cell phone or many other devices if they have the requisite capabilities.

I have a friend that has automated much of his house. I just don't see the value or need. For him some of it might be as his wife has trouble getting around. I might find it interesting to write skills for Alexa, but I can thing of more involved technical products to play with.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 Echo Dots and enjoy using them.

Echo recently added a feature that could be useful in some emergencies - Alexa calling and messaging.
I haven't set it up yet, but I think it works as follows: You set up the contacts you want to allow for calling and they need to set you up for calling on their end. You can then do Alexa to Alexa calling by saying "Alexa, call <contact>. The other person's echo announces an incoming call and asks if they want to accept or dismiss. Once accepted your conversation is thru the echo. There is also a phone app for echo to cell phone app calls (I think the app uses data, not cell minutes).
I plan to set up Alexa calling just for personal emergencies. If I ever have an "I've fallen and can't get up" moment within earshot of my bedroom or living room and kitchen area I can still be on the floor and get Alexa to call a friend. The friend can come help or call 911. Otherwise I would need to decide(or guess) where I left my cell phone and then try to get to it.
Even with Alexa set up for calls, I would rather use my cell phone for regular calls. I just think it might help in an emergency.

Note: Currently, Alexa can't directly call 911, and I would be wary of it making a false alarm call to 911 if that was a feature. Alexa accidentally calling a friend is a lot less embarrassing then having the 911 responders showing up at the door for a false alarm.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have even turned off Siri on all my devices. When a robot will sort and dispose of garbage, I might consider one. Meanwhile I enjoy doing things myself.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Zero interest in such devices. Especially after just seeing the movie "The Circle" (2017).

Anyway, I've got the DW to ask since she sees all, hears all, knows all.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #30

We got one as a gift. DW plugged it in and had it on the end table. I noticed she never seemed to be using it, so I unplugged it a couple months ago. She hasn't noticed.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
We got one as a gift. DW plugged it in and had it on the end table. I noticed she never seemed to be using it, so I unplugged it a couple months ago. She hasn't noticed.
Hahahahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I have no Dots, Alexas or Echos and I can still do these things. I can walk into a given room and turn devices on and off using a "switch".
I am guessing that you threw away the remote for the TV because getting up and crossing the room to manually turn a knob/pressing buttons is so satisfying.
I remember my first remote control for the VCR, I paid , drum roll... $600 bucks in 1984. It has a remote, 15 foot wired. I thought it was the greatest thing.
I just did a price check inflation sort of thing, thats $1385.99 now. Wow. I think in my head at the time we had just had the baby , so no more weekly night at movies.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #33

Didn't answer the poll.

We received an Alexa Dot as a promotional gift and decided to try it out. Once the novelty of talking to the Dot wore off, it now just takes up counter space most of the time. We currently have little interest in adding automated gadgets to the house. And we have found Alexa to be knowledge-base challenged such that we seldom ask it anything......if we really want an answer, the likelihood getting something useful means grabbing the cell phone or tablet and asking Google, got tired of Alexa coming back with nothing useful.

It is great for streaming music, however, and that is about it's only use currently, and only when I am home alone.

Wished I had not opened the box and just listed it on eBay.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have one and don't see myself buying one. I have Siri on my phone and very rarely use it for much more than replying to a text message while driving or asking distance to a location while driving. I can see how the Echo could be useful for a disabled or bedridden person where turning on lights or adjusting a thermostat is difficult. I'm not into changing out my light switches and thermostats for a small bit of convenience or being able to turn on a house light when I'm not home. I used the X-10 stuff years ago to switch Christmas lights so I didn't have to go out in the cold to unplug them but it made a horrible amount of radio frequency interference and I junked it.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

So not only are you trusting that Amazon is not listening all the time but you are also trusting that the device has not been hacked (because hacking never happens) and you are trusting that the NSA would not have a backdoor to these (essentially bugs) devices people are installing in every home like they do/did with hard drive firmware.

The scary thing is, they could make Amazon install a backdoor and require they maintain secrecy about it.

I am with the guy that turns off the light switch manually.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me of this joke: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1916455
Old 07-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
So not only are you trusting that Amazon is not listening all the time but you are also trusting that the device has not been hacked (because hacking never happens) and you are trusting that the NSA would not have a backdoor to these (essentially bugs) devices people are installing in every home like they do/did with hard drive firmware.

The scary thing is, they could make Amazon install a backdoor and require they maintain secrecy about it.

I am with the guy that turns off the light switch manually.
It is not trust about Amazon listening all the time. Many, including myself have monitored wifi traffic between the Dot/Echo and router while talking nearby. No, I mean, ZERO packets of data transmitted without wake up being triggered. There are many valid points for not using expressed in this thread but can we not drop the paranoia.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #38

I posted this in the 'Life on Autopilot' thread recently:

We use as much technology as we can understand...

One helpful tech trick for my 87 year old DM who lives in independent living is Alexa. Mom is very forgetful.

I'm able to link a google calendar to Alexa and I put all of her Dr appointments and other timely items onto the calendar (from my phone or computer). I take the monthly activity calendar at the community where she lives and I put social outings and activities that I think she would be interested in on the calendar too.

Alexa is located in her bathroom and the first thing she does every morning (well, maybe the second thing) is to ask Alexa 'What's on my calendar today?'
Alexa recites her list... btw, on the calendar every Monday, i put a item that is a simple list of her appointments that week... so she can get a sense of the upcoming week.

Works great for her.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
ZERO packets of data transmitted without wake up being triggered.
Well, of course! All that conversation is simply stored on the device, compressed, and sent late at night when nobody is checking. Once the analysis is done at Amazon's data center, any relevant information is added to your profile awaiting the day of reckoning when the death panel rules on your continued value to the planet.

All this is spelled out clearly in the online supplement to the Alexa user agreement, in Chapter 418, page 12,537. Sadly, many people don't bother to read that far before clicking "Accept".

Seriously though, I know perfectly well that you're right. It's just that some of us are a little concerned that these policies are subject to change in the future and we're just not ready for it yet. I fully expect that someday I'll have some gadget like this sitting next to me and I'll love having it there. Just not today.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #40

Quote:
We currently have little interest in adding automated gadgets to the house.
Maybe I'm especially lacking in imagination, but I'm having difficulty thinking of what kind of automation I would want to add to my house. I do have some lights that turn on and off on timers. I can play music and watch movies on my computer - although they are not yet voice controlled I don't feel deprived about that. I have a small notepad on my fridge I use to jot down ideas for a shopping list as I think of them. My thermostat (more than 30 years old) has a timer that adjusts heating up and down based on time of day. Am I already as automated as I'm going to get?

I read that Alexa now has some 15,000 "skills" that it can do, but I have no idea what they could be. What 15,000 things am I missing out on by not having one of these gadgets?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote