Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you use Alexa? (not siri or ok google, or other voice recognition)
I do use Alexa 62 34.25%
I don't use Alexa 119 65.75%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Update: Do you use Alexa Poll
Old 07-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Update: Do you use Alexa Poll

Yes there are several threads on the subject, but just the question.

Do you use Alexa in any of the hardware forms. Tap, Echo, Dot etc.
Not siri or ok google.

Other comments welcome. ie, Alexa skills, home controls, voice,face to face calls etc.

Just received a Dot as a gift... If I'm missing from ER in the future, it's because DW has done me in...Can only use in the garage.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't see the poll on my mobile device, but yes. I use an Echo and an Echo Dot at one house, and an Echo at the other house.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

We just bought our first Echo during the half price sale a few weeks ago. I really like it. We have another one that we ordered for half price as well but was back ordered and won't arrive until next week.

We use it to turn the lights on/off and to set the thermostat. And the music streaming has been very nice. I wish the sound quality was a little better but I hear that Amazon is building a higher end device with better sound quality to compete with the upcoming Apple HomePod.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

Nope.

My younger son wants an echo... I don't like the idea of a device that is always listening in my house.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Nope.

My younger son wants an echo... I don't like the idea of a device that is always listening in my house.
It's really only listening for the word Alexa. Otherwise it can't hear anything you are saying because it's in sleep mode until it hears Alexa. You can see when it's listening because a blue light comes on.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Received a Dot as a gift and had fun with it for a few weeks.

Realized, though, that every conversation within earshot was being processed by Amazon waiting for an Alexa command.

There is enough of my life in the public sphere without giving anyone more information. Haven't bothered to research what Amazon does with the voice data or how long they keep it. Not offering up any more to them for a few amusing conveniences.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
It's really only listening for the word Alexa. Otherwise it can't hear anything you are saying because it's in sleep mode until it hears Alexa. You can see when it's listening because a blue light comes on.
Don't claim to know the technology, but how can it be "sleeping" until it hears "Alexa", if it is not listening all the time?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #8

I just spent 2 1/2 weeks cat sitting for a guy who has an Echo. It was new to me, so I spent plenty of time talking to it and finding out what it could do. It was fun, but after a few days, the novelty wore off, and I was reduced to occasionally asking it what the temperature was, or asking it to play a radio station for me. It was funny when something on TV would trigger it, and along with the TV soundtrack, I'd hear Alexa saying, "I'm sorry, I don't have an opinion on that" (or whatever she says).

It was fun playing with it but at this point, I feel no need to own one.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #9

I dont use it, or any other device. But i guess when you see I use a 10 cent a minute prepaid cell phone you knew that. High tech things are my thing.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine actually paying good money for something like Alexa. I'd pay NOT to have it.

But everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and if Alexa is fun for you, then more power to you. It's just not something I would ever want in my house. I love my privacy and I prefer doing internet searches or making phone calls or whatever, on my own.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We have a Dot and it sits quietly in the corner of the kitchen cataloging all the Honeydews DW barks at me. I expect that one of these days, it will start barking at me to finish what I have put off.

I don't ask the Dot anything as I know it's 100 F outside just by opening the door. I can also figure out when it is raining out without much help.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use it a little on my Fire remote control. Playing music, looking up stuff....
Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Not only do I not use "Alexa", I had to look up what it was.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 Dots, one up and one downstairs. I am able to:

Control living room TV (on/off, volume up/down, change channel)
Adjust thermostats (up or downstairs)
Turn on/off fans in MBR or living room via wifi outlet switches.
Play music via audio out right to a Bose Wave radio.
Turn on/off/dim lights in MBR, DR, LR, Kitchen
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
Received a Dot as a gift and had fun with it for a few weeks.

Realized, though, that every conversation within earshot was being processed by Amazon waiting for an Alexa command.

There is enough of my life in the public sphere without giving anyone more information. Haven't bothered to research what Amazon does with the voice data or how long they keep it. Not offering up any more to them for a few amusing conveniences.
Not so much listening as monitoring sound wave patterns for match to pattern of the wake up word. This is processed locally so nothing goes back to Amazon if and until frequency pattern match (wake up).

Prior to this local wake up trigger, there is no "hearing" your conversations or even attempts to interprete human words or speech.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
I have 2 Dots, one up and one downstairs. I am able to:

Control living room TV (on/off, volume up/down, change channel)
Adjust thermostats (up or downstairs)
Turn on/off fans in MBR or living room via wifi outlet switches.
Play music via audio out right to a Bose Wave radio.
Turn on/off/dim lights in MBR, DR, LR, Kitchen
I have no Dots, Alexas or Echos and I can still do these things. I can walk into a given room and turn devices on and off using a "switch".

Of course, none of these things need doing at all when I'm not in the room.

None of these devices will be "smart" until it can do things I can't, like understanding the tax code.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
Not so much listening as monitoring sound wave patterns for match to pattern of the wake up word. This is processed locally so nothing goes back to Amazon if and until frequency pattern match (wake up).

Prior to this local wake up trigger, there is no "hearing" your conversations or even attempts to interprete human words or speech.
good to know, appreciate the explanation
Old 07-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We bought an Echo Dot on Prime Day so we have only had it a couple weeks. I like it so far. I use it to add items to my calendar, add items to my to do list and my shopping list, get the weather forecast for here or where we are going to be, listen to Marketplace, listen to music, sometimes to control our Dish TV, etc. I find it very useful.

Not yet into controling lights, fan, etc with it but that time may come.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We were an early adopter. Use it in the kitchen. Our most used features are:
- Hand's free music
- Grocery lists
- Timers

All three are incredibly useful when you have your hands full while prepping meals. DW likes to find "easter eggs." We don't use any advanced features (if this then that, etc)
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Mdlerth;1916431]I have no Dots, Alexas or Echos and I can still do these things. I can walk into a given room and turn devices on and off using a "switch".
QUOTE]

I am guessing that you threw away the remote for the TV because getting up and crossing the room to manually turn a knob/pressing buttons is so satisfying.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote