Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Amazon finally released their app. for Apple TV.

Amazon is obviously pushing their own hardware, which has to be a loss leader for them. So you'd think they'd want to be on as many devices as possible, like Netflix's approach. Bezos is supposedly serious about producing original programming, with the deal they made for the prequel to Lord of the Rings.

If he wants the largest audience possible, he's going to have to get his app. on as many devices as possible.

Google is also trying to favor their own devices. Youtube app. on Apple TV 4K doesn't support HDR videos and they want to try to force people to use their VP8 and VP9 codecs instead of the more universal H.264 and H.265.

Sony tried to make its proprietary codecs popular. That's why they lost out on MP3 players and smart phones. It also hurt them for a long time with digital cameras too.
Yep we just installed the Amazon Prime Video app and logged in. Working well it seems. We are happy to have it.

I started a new thread with this info, but if I’d seen this thread resurface, I would’ve posted it here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I got a popup this morning when using my Fire stick. Just bought 2 sticks....chaps my a$$. Not planning to change as I like the FS. If I need to watch youtube I will watch it on my Chromebook.

I agree that this is vey aggravating that Google and Amazon can’t work something out. We have used YouTube a lot on our Fire TV’s and we still plan on sticking with the Fire TV. Amazon just added an internet browser app (Silk) to the Fire TV/ Fire Stick, so that is an alternative to viewing a YouTube on Fire.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Decided to upgrade 2 of the old Roku's I had in my house. Bought one of the new Ultra's ($89) and an Express ($29). Wow! Speed. Increased Wifi range. I have my trigger finger on the "Place Order" button that would replace the remaining old Roku's in my house.

BTW. I have no financial ties to the Roku organization.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I agree that this is vey aggravating that Google and Amazon can’t work something out. We have used YouTube a lot on our Fire TV’s and we still plan on sticking with the Fire TV. Amazon just added an internet browser app (Silk) to the Fire TV/ Fire Stick, so that is an alternative to viewing a YouTube on Fire.
Amazon recently announced they will start selling the Apple TV and Chromecast again. Perhaps the first step to motivate Google from pulling Youtube from Fire TV's.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...gle-chromecast
Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #185

I just picked up a ROKU TV for our home in Florida. It is the ultimate cord cutting solution. I wish I had bought this TV for our primary residence instead of buying Samsung and Sony TVs with separate ROKU premiere plus devices. This 55 inch 4K HDR TV cost us just $389 plus tax at Costco. It integrates the tuner, streaming players and other devices connected to the HDMI ports into the familiar ROKU menu. The remote has a power on/off button on top and volume control buttons on the side. The picture quality is excellent for viewing 4K content.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Decided to upgrade 2 of the old Roku's I had in my house. Bought one of the new Ultra's ($89) and an Express ($29). Wow! Speed. Increased Wifi range. I have my trigger finger on the "Place Order" button that would replace the remaining old Roku's in my house.

BTW. I have no financial ties to the Roku organization.
Out of curiosity, how old is old? I got my Roku stick in September 2016.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Out of curiosity, how old is old? I got my Roku stick in September 2016.
The 3500 stick originally came out in March 2014. I purchased mine in November 2014. I bet you have the 3600 which came out 2 years later. The processor in the 3600 appears to be 50% faster than the 3500 stick.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
The 3500 stick originally came out in March 2014. I purchased mine in November 2014. I bet you have the 3600 which came out 2 years later. The processor in the 3600 appears to be 50% faster than the 3500 stick.
Thanks for elaborating. Looks like I can stick with my stick -- so to speak.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #189

Cut the cord today,

Long story short, I called to complain about my current rates as the introductory rate expired. I was basically informed, I should stop complaining because in March the "package" I'm on will expire and my bill will go up yet another $30/month. With their pricing plan, I'd be paying $100/month for basic cable.

So cut the cord, managed to find a plan that doubled my internet, added HBO, and pay $30 less than I started the day, $60 less than I was informed I'd be paying in March.

I settled on DirectTV Now, it had the least amount of buffering problems for me, included the extended news channels, and HBO was only $5. Running it on Roku 3 its solid. Now just waiting for Google Fiber to get installed later this year.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #190
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Cut the cord today,

Long story short, I called to complain about my current rates as the introductory rate expired. I was basically informed, I should stop complaining because in March the "package" I'm on will expire and my bill will go up yet another $30/month. With their pricing plan, I'd be paying $100/month for basic cable.

So cut the cord, managed to find a plan that doubled my internet, added HBO, and pay $30 less than I started the day, $60 less than I was informed I'd be paying in March.

I settled on DirectTV Now, it had the least amount of buffering problems for me, included the extended news channels, and HBO was only $5. Running it on Roku 3 its solid. Now just waiting for Google Fiber to get installed later this year.

Who is your current internet provider and the speed you’re getting?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #191

I'm now on a Spectrum package at 200MB.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #192
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I'm now on a Spectrum package at 200MB.

That’s excellent speed. I’m on Spectrum with triple play getting 100 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload. To get the best rate, I had to take phone for a total of about $111 a month. Don’t have any phones connected. I have Rokus on both TVs. Would like to just pay for internet and add Sling TV or DirectTV Now. Currently have Netflix that I’m paying for monthly. Just internet would cost $45 plus extra fees but would go to $65 after 12 months. I’m not sure if I can talk my wife into cutting the cord since we wouldn’t get local channels and news. Our contract is up in May. The price will increase and will be easier to justify the cord cutting!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTN View Post
. I’m not sure if I can talk my wife into cutting the cord since we wouldn’t get local channels and news. Our contract is up in May. The price will increase and will be easier to justify the cord cutting!
Go out and get an over the air antennae. They can be very small and unobtrusive. Ours is smaller than our cable thing. Assuming you can get signal. You can pick up the locals that way

You have to switch inputs on your remote to watch the locals OTA. Like doing a Roku. Which confuses Mrs Scrapr. But sometimes there are cable disputes and a station will drop off the cable but be on the OTA channels. So she figures it out
Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #194
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I’m not sure if I can talk my wife into cutting the cord since we wouldn’t get local channels and news.
This reception map will let you know if you can get an OTA signal at your location: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #195

I went pure Internet years ago. The MegaCableCo. forgot to block the OTA channels from the cable.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I went pure Internet years ago. The MegaCableCo. forgot to block the OTA channels from the cable.
Actually Mega* is required to provide the OTA channels as a community service. If you live in an area where OTA is difficult to achieve because of hills or buildings, you can get access through Mega* as basic cable. That gets you about 20 channels, your local OTA plus public service and some shopping channels.

- Rita
Old 01-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Actually Mega* is required to provide the OTA channels as a community service. If you live in an area where OTA is difficult to achieve because of hills or buildings, you can get access through Mega* as basic cable. That gets you about 20 channels, your local OTA plus public service and some shopping channels.

- Rita
They want $20 a month for those channels.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Actually Mega* is required to provide the OTA channels as a community service.
Not anymore. A couple of years ago the FCC declared that there is "effective competition" for subscription video throughout the United States and allowed MVPDs to scramble local broadcast channels.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That’s excellent speed. I’m on Spectrum with triple play getting 100 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload. To get the best rate, I had to take phone for a total of about $111 a month. Don’t have any phones connected. I have Rokus on both TVs. Would like to just pay for internet and add Sling TV or DirectTV Now. Currently have Netflix that I’m paying for monthly. Just internet would cost $45 plus extra fees but would go to $65 after 12 months. I’m not sure if I can talk my wife into cutting the cord since we wouldn’t get local channels and news. Our contract is up in May. The price will increase and will be easier to justify the cord cutting!
If its available in your area YouTube.tv will give you channels and news along with a big selection of cable channels for 35 a month.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #200
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
If its available in your area YouTube.tv will give you channels and news along with a big selection of cable channels for 35 a month.

Thanks for all the advice. I’m not sure the savings provided by cutting the cord are worth it for now. By the time you pay for internet service and choose a service like Sling TV or the many other options, I don’t think the savings and missing the channels we watch would be worth it. I have previewed Sling TV and it works great. I have 333 channels installed on my Rokus (probably use just about 15-20 of them). I think my next step will be to buy an indoor antenna to attach to one of my TVs to see how many local channels I can get. I live in an apartment now and can’t have an outside antenna. And, identify which channels I watch most often so I can at least determine what channels I need to receive after cutting the cord.
Closed Thread