Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #2361
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
For those of you currently full time streaming what's your average monthly Internet data usage?
500gb +/- 100 for the last 8 months.

Our first month we blew right past 1,000 gb. We noticed that sometimes when we turned our Roku on, the last application was still playing. 4k playing all night will put a dent in our cap very quickly. We now make sure that the Roku is at the "home" screen when we turn it off.

OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #2362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
.... In any case, DW's first comment was that she thought the picture quality was better than PS Vue. Actually that was her second comment. Her first comment was, "Where's the Hallmark channel?" ...much to my dismay, that may actually be the deal breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have to keep a subscription to Philo for this very reason.
DD is considering changing streaming services too and is a big Hallmark Network fan.... she is considering the Hallmark streaming service called Hallmark Movies Now... $6/month... to get her Hallmark fix. The website says:

Quote:
Hallmark Movies Now is Crown Media Family Network's subscription video on demand streaming service. Launched in October 2017, the service is a distinct offering with a lineup of family friendly programming that cannot be found on the company's linear networks, Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies, & Mysteries, and Hallmark Drama. Subscribers to the service have access to nearly 1,000 hours of commercial-free Hallmark-branded original content, including fan favorites from the vast Hallmark Hall of Fame library. The service is available on iOS, Android, Roku, and Amazon Fire with the option of a monthly or an annual subscription.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #2363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thanks pb4, I didn't know that existed. I'm going to give it a look to see if DW thinks it will work for her.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #2364
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
For those of you currently full time streaming what's your average monthly Internet data usage?
81 GB

My Cox Cable internet plan used to have unlimited data, but just now when I logged in, it told me that last month's 50GB was 5% of my allowable data. Well, I guess that for someone with my usage that is effectively unlimited.

I suppose you could say I am full time streaming, since I cancelled my cable TV services years ago. I only get my TV over the air using a homemade indoor antenna, and I hardly watch TV any more because I am annoyed with what I view as subtle brainwashing. I do stream video to my computer from youtube and similar sources, and watch it there.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #2365
Full time employment: Posting here.

We’re all over the map on data use according to xfinity. Low months of 20gb, typical month of 250 gb, highs of 750 to 1000 gb. Yes, we supposedly near went over allocation last month. The high months must be a leak somewhere. It’s also hard to believe the low months since we stream several hours daily. Did catch the Riki streaming without our knowledge, so we kill the power strip when not watching. Just in case, we power off the computers and pads when not in use. Only the mobile phones stay on all day. Watch out for those hidden data burners. Looking online, Roku is a common data leak suspect...
Old 10-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #2366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Xfinity is shady.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #2367

Not entirely "full time streaming" but it probably represents more than half of our viewing. (We only still have a dish because my FIL, who lives with us in our basement, is willing to pay for it.) My router says we used 387 GB in September, but that obviously includes *all* online usage.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #2368
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DD is considering changing streaming services too and is a big Hallmark Network fan.... she is considering the Hallmark streaming service called Hallmark Movies Now... $6/month... to get her Hallmark fix. The website says:
I would check that it has the Hallmark content that you want. For instance, it may have older movies, etc, and not the ones that are currently airing (and coming out of their factory every week). Or, maybe that is actually what she wants.

I don't know one way or the other what it has. In fact, please report here if you do find out.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #2369

I told you so.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ding-data-cap/

And no it isn’t a software bug, which is Comcast’s excuse in this case where a customer called them on it.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #2370

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I told you so.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ding-data-cap/

And no it isn’t a software bug, which is Comcast’s excuse in this case where a customer called them on it.

Thanks for the great link re Comcast fooling with data counts. Had problems for at least a year, both over count and, amazingly enough, under count.

Yep, at the beginning of October, total data suddenly shot up, then suddenly went down. Yes, total data went down, perhaps the “adjustment” mentioned in the link. Now seems reported usage seems realistic.

We’ll see.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #2371
Give me a forum ...

I've been an advocate of Tivo products for some time. But, recent decisions Tivo has made regarding inserting ads into recordings people make, has made me cool on the product. Here is a look at some alternatives for OTA recorders.

https://zatznotfunny.com/2019-10/cor...T3rZWjYsXU9hJE

Quote:
For those those who’d prefer a home-based OTA DVR to round out their video toolbox, I’ve got several suggestions. While I’d prefer my recommendations had the ability to connect directly to a television, these are all of the “headless” network tuner variety. Yet, given relatively low price of streaming boxes many already likely own (Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV), it’s not really a burden and actually allows preferable placement for maximum indoor antenna receptivity. Beyond streaming set-tops, my top selections all also provide iOS and Android mobile device access.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #2372
Give me a forum ...

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of current streaming choices:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ming-services/

With Links like this:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...on-with-video/
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #2373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Xfinity is shady.
May be a local thing. I had XFinity at our previous home, thought they were OK all in all, good and bad. We have AT&T now, they are much worse, frustrating as H#$% to deal with. I'd take XFinity back if I had a choice...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #2374
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldConch View Post
We noticed that sometimes when we turned our Roku on, the last application was still playing. 4k playing all night will put a dent in our cap very quickly. We now make sure that the Roku is at the "home" screen when we turn it off.
We discovered the Buzzr TV channel on -- old game shows -- and started falling asleep to What's My Line, To Tell The Truth, etc., with the TV on a timer, and found that the next night Roku had automatically returned to the home screen. No excess data usage (I suspect Roku continues for a short while after your TV turns off, but when we return to a show we were watching the prior evening, it's often time in the middle of an episode, so...).

Hopefully this helps.
stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #2375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
May be a local thing. I had XFinity at our previous home, thought they were OK all in all, good and bad. We have AT&T now, they are much worse, frustrating as H#$% to deal with. I'd take XFinity back if I had a choice...
Agree. I had AT&T prior to moving into this house and my internet connection was down quite often. With Xfinity it's hardly ever down. Very reliable.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #2376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

We were loyal AT&T customers for years. Local, local long distance (remember that!), long distance, on land line. Loved my old DSL line, rock solid, blazing fast for the time, probably even good enough for my current needs.

But “upgraded” to AT&T Uverse. Nightmare! Six (6), yes 6 tech visits over 2 months to get service running, including 2 months for the first tech who couldn’t turn on the service. The 6th guy got it running, but it grew increasingly flakey, lost signal, lots of modem resetting. Service would be ok for a few months after a service call, then start cutting out. Gave up after 2 years of punishment.

Running xfinity for 2 years, service has been very solid, great tech install, ok customer service. The unrealistic data usage reported earlier has been my only real complaint. Oh, usage still seems reasonable after xfinity presumably “reset” something with their usage meter. Keeping fingers crossed.

Oh, my cheap gateway I installed after returning the overpriced xfinity rental is still going great. I’ve more than made back my modest investment!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #2377
Give me a forum ...

Here is an interesting device... https://www.airtv.net/products/airtv/

From the "Product Sheet:

Quote:
Watch and record local HD channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS and more with no monthly fees, at home or on a mobile device.
While this is a device for Sling subscribers, a subscription to Sling is not necessary for use. Basically, you connect the device to a TV antenna, an Internet Connection (wired or Wi-Fi) and for the DVR function a USB external HD (up to 2 TB). Playback is through any of several streaming devices (e.g., ROKU) or with an App on your cell phone. With the cell phone App you can "cast" to a TV set. There are two tuners so you can watch one program while recording another or record both.

All very basic... except that you can watch your local broadcast anywhere you happen to be. Using the App on your cell phone allows this to happen. This should be great news for travelers or those with multi-residences.

I received one yesterday and setup was super easy. The only negative I find is it has the world's worst (but still functional) EPG (Electronic Program Guide). Of course, I have not tested it "on the road" but look forward to that.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #2378

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

We switched from Hallmark on AT&T Uverse to the streamed version and found it was far from identical. We miss the old detective stuff, specially Columbo tv show. So check carefully if you have a must have. Maybe try for a month, then cancel if you miss something.

In the end, we changed our viewing habits instead of paying through the nose for cable. Now Columbo requires a trip to the library or pay per view. So we don’t watch as much, but we have found many other things to watch on other streamers like Prime and Hulu.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #2379

I had a service call from my local cable provider, a small regional company, to upgrade my internet service to 150 Mbps from 100. Turned out when they upgraded everybody to the new minimum they offer, their equipment in my basement didn't support it.

Anyway, the guy told me the company will be announcing later this year that they will offer their cable packages via the Internet, including some tier of cloud DVR. It will be interesting to see what their price will be, and what boxes they will support (Apple TV, Roku, etc.). I called and spoke with the customer loyalty department and the guy there confirmed it. Then he tried to tell me that 150 Mbps might not be fast enough. Humph.

The main reason I haven't cut the cord so far is my inability to receive local stations OTA due to local geography (there's a mountain between me and the transmitters).
GalaxyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #2380
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I would pay the difference to have a mountain between me and anything!

SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote