Join Early Retirement Today

Used Desktop
Old 10-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #1

Used Desktop

I’m thinking about a used desktop for my grandson. I gave him a hand me down laptop, but it bit the dust. No video. I assume it would cost more to fix than to just get him a used desktop. Awhile back in a thread I cannot locate, someone mentioned a place to get used/refurbished machines. Any recommendations on a place to look for a used computer?

I’ve looked at Amazon, but I’d like to stay under $200 and most the cheaper machines don’t have USB 3.0 or Wireless or Bluetooth or HDMI. Of course all those things can be dealt with but then I’m back over $200. So I guess what I’m saying is that I’m looking for a really good deal . Any help is appreciated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do kids even want desktops these days? Maybe if they are into serious gaming but then a $200 PC probably won't cut it. Fry's often has refurbs on sale like this laptop https://www.frys.com/product/9721554 but then it may not have all that you need.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Try Dell Outlet for Home. They sell refurbished desktops and laptops.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Do kids even want desktops these days? Maybe if they are into serious gaming but then a $200 PC probably won't cut it. Fry's often has refurbs on sale like this laptop https://www.frys.com/product/9721554 but then it may not have all that you need.
He was basically using the laptop as a desktop. He has an iPad, but he likes playing games and doing his homework at his desk. He has two monitors and he thinks that really cool. It’s too soon to spend much on a computer and I was thinking that a desktop would do and would allow me to show him how to work on computers. I figured I’d repurpose the laptop SSD into the desktop because the SSD is new. Maybe add a board if it needed WiFi or Bluetooth . . .
Old 10-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

newegg.com is my source for refurbs. Always a great selection at all price points and configurations. I've purchased probably 5 in the past 10 years from them. Don't even remember how many as they are all still working fine (among others I have).

Here is what they currently have up to $200:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100019...97&Order=PRICE
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #6

I use E bay. Typically I do refurb either from seller or manufacturer.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We bought 3 refurbished laptops this year. Two were just over $200 and one was $85 (running Windows 7). They're middle of the road machines, and decent for our use.

I went to TigerDirect for a couple. For a young man, they don't need a computer too high powered. Nothing worse than someone that's spent their entire youth as a full time gamer. They have a hard time fitting into society.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

I have bought 2 used/refurb HP desktops from walmart online, under
$ 200 each. Absolutly zero problems. One has been running 20 hours a day, for over 3 years.

Absolutly zero problems.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
newegg.com is my source for refurbs. Always a great selection at all price points and configurations. I've purchased probably 5 in the past 10 years from them. Don't even remember how many as they are all still working fine (among others I have).

Here is what they currently have up to $200:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100019...97&Order=PRICE
Thanks. I think those are the types of machines I can work with. The challenge is to get one for the right price and not go overboard on the add ons. If I have to put in WiFi and Bluetooth and a few other things, might want to just spend more up front. Still I think I can stay under $200 and hook him up with a pretty good computer especially since we can use the SSD from the laptop, which wouldn’t be included in a sub $200 computer.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #10

I bought a refurb desktop on Newegg for DMIL. This was 3-4 years ago. IIRC, it was ~$175... HP small form factor, Intel processor, 8GB, 500GB HDD, Windows 7. Upon arrival, it would not boot up, with some HDD errors. Newegg referred me to the actual reseller, which was some small PC recycling outfit in Canada. I emailed back and forth with a customer service rep for about a week, trying to troubleshoot the problem. They would not accept a return, but shipped me a new 1TB HDD with Windows 7 pre-loaded. After swapping drives, it worked fine and the PC has operated flawlessly ever since. Bit of a hassle, but in the end, it's a great value.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I bought a refurb desktop on Newegg for DMIL. This was 3-4 years ago. IIRC, it was ~$175... HP small form factor, Intel processor, 8GB, 500GB HDD, Windows 7. Upon arrival, it would not boot up, with some HDD errors. Newegg referred me to the actual reseller, which was some small PC recycling outfit in Canada. I emailed back and forth with a customer service rep for about a week, trying to troubleshoot the problem. They would not accept a return, but shipped me a new 1TB HDD with Windows 7 pre-loaded. After swapping drives, it worked fine and the PC has operated flawlessly ever since. Bit of a hassle, but in the end, it's a great value.
Key point when buying from Newegg as my link/query will take you - do not purchase from resellers on Newegg, take the refurb machines sold directly by Newegg. Happy that your situation worked out well. I am a bit leery about purchasing from other merchants selling on their site.

We have a Newegg warehouse within 10 miles of us and I would regularly go there to pick up my orders rather than have them shipped. It was very convenient, I could check contents on site, and if I had any issue, I could just drive it back. The customer service folks are also very good in general.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’m thinking about a used desktop for my grandson. I gave him a hand me down laptop, but it bit the dust. No video. I assume it would cost more to fix than to just get him a used desktop. Awhile back in a thread I cannot locate, someone mentioned a place to get used/refurbished machines. Any recommendations on a place to look for a used computer?

I’ve looked at Amazon, but I’d like to stay under $200 and most the cheaper machines don’t have USB 3.0 or Wireless or Bluetooth or HDMI. Of course all those things can be dealt with but then I’m back over $200. So I guess what I’m saying is that I’m looking for a really good deal . Any help is appreciated.

Last used desktop (the one I'm using now) I got off ebay for about $79, and came with Win 10 Pro. I bought of a private seller and not a store like Newegg. I had some spare parts from the computer I was replacing like a HDD and power supply and video card, swap drive, dvd burner.

Buying used depends on how much you wish the desktop already refurbed and ready to go right out the box or if you want to tinker around and add extra components you may have.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Let’s just say that for <$200, I’m not too worried and my expectations are low. If we have some fun and he learns something, it will be worth it. Heck, I may even learn something. But for the cost of a Windows license, I get a machine thrown in.