Using Google Drive/Google Sheets

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
I am having a rough time, using the spreadsheets in Google Sheets. I realize that technology has to go through a transition to advance, but what used to be a rather simple way to develop a spreadsheet with formulas and a limited number of options, is now so far beyond me... that i find my self having to learn a new language, too... not just with letters and numbers, but symbols that I don't even recognize.

Just one simple example. In the new iteration of an older spreadsheet, one single cell was shown in the color green. It seems that whenever a number is changed, the cell turns color, and saves the previous number. that's ok, but to change the background color to the original, requires a six step process.

I suppose the new format works well for folks who are more sophisticated, but for me, just one more step into senility. :(

imoldernu; I transitioned all of my old Excel spreadsheets to google sheets a few months ago. I have not had any real problems. I haven't encountered anything like colored cells and the tools at the top of the sheet work generally in the same manner. I've had only a couple of questions about how to do something I was accustomed to in Excel. I googled the problem on You Tube and found the answer pretty easily.

Changing to anything new can be daunting. I just bought a new phone , switching from an iphone to a Samsung Galaxy. I hated the new phone for the first two weeks, but I am getting used to it.:(

Yeah... am guessing most folks won't have problems... for me, just too many clicks to go two or three levels down to in the framework to make changes.

I know it must be easy, because there are so many simple answers for any questions. Like this: https://www.techjunkie.com/delete-empty-rows-columns-google-sheets/

I guess it just feels like this, with new stuff... "My way or the highway."

Back to the green paper spreadsheets for me. :duh:

I use both google sheets and Excel (and even have a few old Lotus 123 now open office) spreadsheets. My main net worth spreadsheet is in google sheets because google has stock API's that automatically update values for me. (Note: Occasionally there are issues with updates and/or certain symbols which is frustrating as this throws off formulas).

I do find myself having to remember how to do certain things in each of these where the how to is different. One area of frustration is conditional formatting, another is in some of the pivot tables.

My only purpose in posting this (other than to say I feel your pain) is to not give up. If you spend time on google sheets, it will start to come naturally. (And that is the day when you go back to Excel and struggle with something you used to know how to do.)

I've noticed my Excel skills are deteriorating from a few years ago (when I taught Excel classes).

My only purpose in posting this (other than to say I feel your pain) is to not give up. If you spend time on google sheets, it will start to come naturally. (And that is the day when you go back to Excel and struggle with something you used to know how to do.) ... .

I'll just add an agreement to that. I've only used Google sheets a bit, for some simple tasks and it seemed OK for me, but like just about anything new, it is different and takes some uncomfortable adjustment and some head scratching.

If imoldernu could publish an example (provide a link), we might be able to help some more.

-ERD50

I'll just add an agreement to that. I've only used Google sheets a bit, for some simple tasks and it seemed OK for me, but like just about anything new, it is different and takes some uncomfortable adjustment and some head scratching.

If imoldernu could publish an example (provide a link), we might be able to help some more.

-ERD50

I've gone from Lotus 1-2-3 (1980's) to Excel and have been on G-sheets for 15 years now. It IS a learning process but I find it as easy as Excel and just as good once you make the mental transition. I still have to ask Google/YouTube for help if I'm trying something different.

Agree on imodernu sending a link of a sample sheet for review....sounds like a setting problem.

One could stay with Excel, for a monthly fee. Or keep your old version on a Win7 computer.
G sheets appears less complicated, but therein is the confusion. Some of what you need is buried, or requires understanding a new function.
I use both apps, and find that my skills deteriorate when not used. So, staying up with one app would be my recommendation.

The fact that you are even trying to keep up at your age is impressive so don't give up. The mental exercise is good for you. If you don't construct a lot of spreadsheets you will probably struggle with them. I haven't dome a pivot table in 15+ years and would struggle with GSheets if I needed to do one now. When some of my financial functions failed I was stumped but then found excellent help here on how to replace them with formulas to extract data from remote web sites. As others have said, Google and Youtube searches usually turn up a solution quickly.

I've gone from Lotus 1-2-3 (1980's) to Excel and have been on G-sheets for 15 years now.
I think maybe you exaggerated that a bit...Google Sheets was first introduced as a limited test to a limited number of users 13 years ago in June of 2006.

The limited test was later replaced with a beta version available to all Google Account holders, around the same time as an official announcement press release was issued. In March 2010, Google acquired the online document collaboration company DocVerse. DocVerse allowed multiple-user online collaboration on Excel-compatible document as well as other Microsoft Office formats such as Word and PowerPoint. Improvements based on DocVerse were announced and deployed in April 2010. In June 2012, Google acquired Quickoffice, a freeware proprietary productivity suite for mobile devices. In October 2012, Google Spreadsheets was renamed Google Sheets and a Chrome app was released that provided shortcuts to Sheets on Chrome's new tab page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Sheets#History

I’ve built a number of spreadsheets from scratch using google docs. I love it. Easy access from anywhere, any device. I keep it simple and include only numbers that would mean something to me so not worried about security. Maybe not as robust as Excel, but it certainly has value for free.

I can't post a pic of the spreadsheet, as it contains my whole life. Sorry...

but... it gets worse... not only did I spend a few hours updating, figuring out formulas, and finally getting the most important parts fixed.. but after printing out a copy of the "sheet" I renamed and redated it... the auto save didn't autosave, and it went back to square one. BTW... the whole spreadsheet turned green. :LOL: Columns A to J, and Line 1 to line 37. Never again.

Best of luck... back to the spread sheets that I can erase.

I think maybe you exaggerated that a bit...Google Sheets was first introduced as a limited test to a limited number of users 13 years ago in June of 2006.

The limited test was later replaced with a beta version available to all Google Account holders, around the same time as an official announcement press release was issued. In March 2010, Google acquired the online document collaboration company DocVerse. DocVerse allowed multiple-user online collaboration on Excel-compatible document as well as other Microsoft Office formats such as Word and PowerPoint. Improvements based on DocVerse were announced and deployed in April 2010. In June 2012, Google acquired Quickoffice, a freeware proprietary productivity suite for mobile devices. In October 2012, Google Spreadsheets was renamed Google Sheets and a Chrome app was released that provided shortcuts to Sheets on Chrome's new tab page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Sheets#History
Thanks for the history lesson. I lose track of time sometimes and most folks here have grown use to my hyperbole.

Last edited:
Google's search and advertising software is quite good. Other stuff, not so much.

I tried to use Sheets javascript API about five years ago and found it to be feature incomplete, buggy, and poorly documented. I keep track a little bit by monitoring their forums and nothing has changed. The development appears to be done by a bunch of arrogant children with contempt for functional specifications and user needs.

For very simple things, I'm sure Sheets is fine but I am not surprised at all, @imoldernu, at your experience.

I can't post a pic of the spreadsheet, as it contains my whole life. Sorry...

but... it gets worse... not only did I spend a few hours updating, figuring out formulas, and finally getting the most important parts fixed.. but after printing out a copy of the "sheet" I renamed and redated it... the auto save didn't autosave, and it went back to square one. BTW... the whole spreadsheet turned green. [emoji23] Columns A to J, and Line 1 to line 37. Never again.

Best of luck... back to the spread sheets that I can erase.
FYI, There is a "history " tab where you can go back to any previously saved sheet and recall it to that point in time. FWIW

Lots of "simple" answers....like this one...
https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/tutorials/conditional-formatting-google-sheets

One more simple thing I didn't know about... Was using bedrom computer and went into the living room, without closing out Sheets... No warning, but saving the additional work in the second computer, didn't save it at all, even though the site said it had been saved.

Also couldn't find info on removing "second sheet''. don't even know how it showed up.

I guess you can tell I'm aggravated. Just out of curiosity, have you ever created a spreadsheet, using multiple formulas, added lines or columns, and been able to re-total, without going to each formula to include new formula details?

The original spread sheets did all of this automatically. Never was a choice to use old system.

Instead of starting a new thread... for anyone using Google mail... do you use the "new" 31 optional "sorts" to make your use of Email "easier" ? :dance:

One could stay with Excel, for a monthly fee. Or keep your old version on a Win7 computer.
Probably what I am going to do when I purchase a new PC early next year when I will need to transition to Win 10 (or try my hand at Linux). Current PC will be almost 6 years old at that time, so I would rather not upgrade it to Win 10. I used Excel because both my wife's and my workplaces used Excel, and it was always good to keep updated with the latest software being used at work. Now that we're both retired, not as much now.

Instead of starting a new thread... for anyone using Google mail... do you use the "new" 31 optional "sorts" to make your use of Email "easier" ? :dance:

Nope. Anytime they bring out new "tabs" or whatever, I get rid of them. I have no need to have multiple tabs for different categories. Then again, very few organizations/people have my primary email, all others get sent to the "spam" account that I look at once every couple of weeks.

For light spreadsheet use I think Google Sheets is fine. One thing I don't like is Autosave. I can turn it off in Excel but can I in Google Sheets?

I prefer Excel and Office 365. Excel is more robust I think and easier to use for more complex workbooks. Onedrive works pretty nicely. I can see my Excel files on my iPhone and iPad. Yes there is a fee but the benefits for some of us are worth it.

I think AutoSave is ON for sheets, and that's it.
Even with excel, I always make a copy first, and work with that. Could do same with sheets, by downloading and working on it local.

Back
Top Bottom