Using "Old" Technology-Any body still use these?

Old technology? How about boxes and boxes of vacuum tubes, some approaching 100 years old?
Sound-wise, they beat anything modern I've heard. I may even have the choicest ones buried with me...;-)

I've attached one of my creations. I built two of these monoblock amps back in 2013 and they sound very nice indeed. 2.3kV on the anode of the big 833C tube. Bwahahaha!!

Attachments

• 833 Amp Left Channel.jpg
    833 Amp Left Channel.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 49
Here's my full stereo system- old-school to say the least.
Except for the computer input.

Attachments

• 833 Amps at Rave2.jpg
    833 Amps at Rave2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 44
The Tile devices require new battery about every 1 year. I think the cost of battery replacement is more than a new device. Trash.

The Tile devices require new battery about every 1 year. I think the cost of battery replacement is more than a new device. Trash.
I'm finding a lot of this stuff isn't worth the time.

I took down all my Ring doorbell and cams, and cancelled my cloud accounts. Not reliable after a while.

Teac reel to reel, Dual truntable, Old KLH receiver as amplifier, no TV. And an old Ipod Touch for music. Do miss my old bag phone with a real handset. Wind up clock for the few times I need and alarm for early wakeup. And one rotary dial telephone, in the guest room to confuse visitors.

Here's my full stereo system- old-school to say the least.
Except for the computer input.

Hmmm Infinity Reference speakers? I have a pair of RS 6.

:blush:

About 300 to 400 pounds of old electronics, from the original "Pong" game and a 1980+ Commodore 64 where I taught myself DOS. Includes every thing imaginable from a 1978 portable Fax machine to a Gerber IVB signmaker, as well as about 15 computers and tablets. "Hoarder Galore". Was disappointed when my "Sharper Image" weather station from the 90's stopped receiving updates last year.

When we have to move, it's going to cost me $1,000+ to get rid of some of this stuff. In the meantime, I still have a ball resurrecting some of my toys, just to see if they still work. Pac Man and Game Boy still work, and I play "Bloobs" every day.

Hey!... some people collect old coins... what fun is there in that?
''

From what I read, that old original pong should be worth some big bucks on Ebay.

I certainly do. It is a Logitech collecting dust in the spare bedroom.

I built a vacuum tube i-pod dock and amp for my wife several years ago, in an old wooden box. Kind of a novelty...also has standard jacks in back so I can still use it for other sources and hook it up to speakers.

Attachments

• 20191102_165000.jpg
    20191102_165000.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 40
I built a vacuum tube i-pod dock and amp for my wife several years ago, in an old wooden box. Kind of a novelty...also has standard jacks in back so I can still use it for other sources and hook it up to speakers.

That, and the other amps above, are very, very cool! :cool:

Thanks for posting!

''

From what I read, that old original pong should be worth some big bucks on Ebay.

I have an Atari 2600. Not Pong, so much cheaper. Still works, tried it last year for fun. Goes for around $40.

I have a Heath Kit dwell meter that I built in the 1970s. Still use it on classic cars (friend's - sold mine). I have a timing light also. Plus, my Craftsman tools date back to 1969 (4 HP air compressor, sockets and wrenches).

I have an iPod that I still use. It's got a lot of audio books on it that I listen to in the car.

One glitch is that other idevices do not play well with Car Play. So, I have to remember to disconnect the iPod if I want my iPhone to connect to CarPlay.

No help with the devices you mentioned I'm afraid but I still listen frequently to a Dual 1019 built in 1964. It sounds wonderful. Does that count?

I had one of those (purchased at a Navy Exchange at Subic Bay, Philippines in '67 or '68). Used it for a long time, although not as long as you. I used to listen to records (?) through a pair of Sansui SP-300 speakers that I bought around the same time. I sold them on Craig's list when I moved 5 years ago. The guy who bought them was absolutely thrilled when he saw them advertised and snapped them right up.

The original Tiles didn't have replaceable batteries. Batteries were supposed to last 3 years, and you'd get a replacement at a slight discount.

The new ones, which I have, have a replaceable battery of the type used for watches--just a few dollars. I have the Tile Pros.

I rate them a 8/10, and I've never had to use them. I test them every 60 days. The interface could be better. They are insurance.

I researched them today because I'm giving them out as Christmas presents to my family this year.

I don't have any of that "old tech" stuff and none of the "new tech" replacements either.

I do have vacuum tube amplifiers and 12 inch black disks...

I thought about this and determined I kind of failed at keep old technology around. I'm pretty good about keeping PCs and laptops for 5-6 years at a time, and our vehicles we typically keep for 10-13 years. Even some of the older PC components I had, like SCSI cables and SCSI CD players (Plextor), were recycled prior to our move from California to Texas a year ago.

We do have a home theater/stereo system where most of the components are about 20 years old, but that's it. Last had a Dual turntable, a Harman Kardon cassette recorder, and a VHS player maybe 8-10 years ago. But they're gone now.

Well, I still have all my LPs and quite a few 8 tracks. I do still have an operating turntable, but my (2) 8 track players are not hooked up to my Pioneer stereo system.

I just checked again; my two Pickett slide rules need no batteries. Neither does my E-6B computer. So I am ready for the apocalypse.
I still have my K & E log log duplex slide rule and an E6B. The problem is I do not remember how to use them

I will never get rid of this 60-lb spectrum analyzer (image from the Web).

spectrum_analyzer_system_141t_8552b_1925096.jpg

Yes, it's the venerable HP-141T. For this mainframe, I have the plugins HP8552B, HP8553B, HP8555B, and the preselector HP8445B. To complete the set, I would need the plugins HP8554B, HP8556B, and the tracking generators HP8443A, and HP8444A.

No tubes in the above baby, except for the CRT. All solid-state. There are things about this analyzer that I like better than my more modern HP8594E. Heck, even the latter is already 20-year-old. I paid $25K for it back then, when it was still real money.

Don't get me started on my Tektronix 7000-series scopes. And I have a few more HP equipment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom