Using "Old" Technology-Any body still use these?

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
While visiting DS, I was cleaning out a drawer. It included a bunch of tech devices that were too obsolete for him. I have them and have ordered chargers, downloaded manuals, etc. I will get all of them to work. I want to know if YOU still have any of them and are you happy with them.

An Ipod classic A1136 with 30GB of storage. It appears to be from 2006-2007.

A FitBit Flex from 2013.

A Samsung Gear Fit SM-R350. From 2014?

An Apple Fire TV - maybe 2nd generation.

Ipod Nano-7th generation. 2012-2017. Great workout music.

And a bunch of Tile devices used to help you locate your keys, etc. These would be the original Tiles - white.

Last edited:
No help with the devices you mentioned I'm afraid but I still listen frequently to a Dual 1019 built in 1964. It sounds wonderful. Does that count?

:blush:

About 300 to 400 pounds of old electronics, from the original "Pong" game and a 1980+ Commodore 64 where I taught myself DOS. Includes every thing imaginable from a 1978 portable Fax machine to a Gerber IVB signmaker, as well as about 15 computers and tablets. "Hoarder Galore". Was disappointed when my "Sharper Image" weather station from the 90's stopped receiving updates last year.

When we have to move, it's going to cost me $1,000+ to get rid of some of this stuff. In the meantime, I still have a ball resurrecting some of my toys, just to see if they still work. Pac Man and Game Boy still work, and I play "Bloobs" every day.

Hey!... some people collect old coins... what fun is there in that?

I am rather technology averse, the only reason I have a smart phone is it is my wife's old one, when she upgraded. I have never downloaded an App, have never had my own personal music, and only text about once a week, never been on Twitter, Tinder, Instagram, or IM'd anyone. Most days, I watch whatever is on regular TV, don't access Hulu, Netfilx, or binge watch anything.

:blush:

About 300 to 400 pounds of old electronics, from the original "Pong" game and a 1980+ Commodore 64 where I taught myself DOS. Includes every thing imaginable from a 1978 portable Fax machine to a Gerber IVB signmaker, as well as about 15 computers and tablets. "Hoarder Galore". Was disappointed when my "Sharper Image" weather station from the 90's stopped receiving updates last year.

When we have to move, it's going to cost me $1,000+ to get rid of some of this stuff. In the meantime, I still have a ball resurrecting some of my toys, just to see if they still work. Pac Man and Game Boy still work, and I play "Bloobs" every day.

Hey!... some people collect old coins... what fun is there in that?

Old electronics is a good hobby. It's inexpensive too, and just takes some space. Not for those living in RVs or a tiny house.

I had a 2013 Fitbit flex, but it didn’t last past 2014. Don’t use much old technology at home, with the exception of woodworking hand tools such as chisels, hand planes, drawknife, etc. and whenever I need to survey something, I use a transit made in the 1970’s.

Attachments

• 5B511BC9-1521-4B0C-BB64-0FE5941B045D.jpg
    5B511BC9-1521-4B0C-BB64-0FE5941B045D.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 64
I give some of the working, usable, but just old stuff to Good Will.

Other stuff gets fixed and repurposed, or fixed and out to Good Will.

Some stuff I strip for any usable parts for my hobbies, the rest to recycling. Or straight to recycling.

I have some retro-classic things that are probably of worth to someone. They fetch maybe $50-$100 on ebay (sold prices, not asking), but I don't want to go through the hassle of that. I'd like to get them to someone who might appreciate them, but I don't want to do any work. Maybe the Next Door group, but that's still gonna be a small audience for some specialized stuff. I'm talking original C-64, Atari computers, original 3-com 'Audrey' (working) and two original Apple Newton's (and these work when I put in batteries). DW wants them out of the house, and I can't blame her, they just take up space.

-ERD50

Still using iPod nano 5th generation. The built-in FM radio tuner is useful.

I have a nano too. It’s a really great music machine, but I just don’t use it anymore. It would be great for a runner being that it is so small and light. But, I don’t run. My phone has just taken over all the old electronic gadgets I use to use.

Still using iPod nano 5th generation. The built-in FM radio tuner is useful.
I have a nano too. It’s a really great music machine, but I just don’t use it anymore. It would be great for a runner being that it is so small and light. But, I don’t run. My phone has just taken over all the old electronic gadgets I use to use.
The runner here is still using 3rd gen iPod Shuffle. Battery still keeps a charge for an hour.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204217

Some of the iPod models on that page (like 5th gen) can capture video. I never did use that feature. Have to give it a try next week.

Today is electronic recycling day. Each year there's less to take out. Had a funny thought just now. There was an old guy in the Apple ii users group (1990?) who had an entire basement filled with old computer stuff, like terminals and 5-inch drives. I remember thinking, where did all this stuff come from, and why does he keep it? Now I am woke to that...

DW uses her iPod Nano 2g every day. I keep telling her she can use her shiny new iPhone 11 but she won’t do it. Oh well, whatever she likes is fine. Happy wife happy life.

I just recycled an old 3 megapixel Canon point and shoot camera from around 2001 or so. DW said I should use it but even the cameras in the phones these days are much better, and the battery probably won’t charge anyway, not to mention there’s no way to read the old compact flash memory card.

I'm finding this with tools now that I'm doing some manual labor. I pull out my dad's 50 year old hammer, and it looks, uh, old.

Turns out some of the new innovations in tools are helpful. Handles on swinging impact tools (hammers, axes, etc.) not made of wood are an innovation.

However, some tools are classic. I'm thinking of my "Channel Lock" pliers. Can't beat the 40 year old version I have.

DW still has her iPod Nano 2nd gen with her name engraved in the case. She doesn't use it as we left Apple in the dust a long time ago. I have old Magellan GPS along with a Garmin unit sitting in the drawer along with a lot of other stuff I haven't used in years. 2 way FRS radios anyone? I still use my old Hitachi O'scope about once every few years. My AV receiver hasn't been turned on in a few years. Maybe it is time to donate that stuff. And don't even ask about that Pioneer turntable. They are now desirable again. Whoda thunk? 2 VHS recorders sit in the closet, perfectly good, gathering dust. This year I actually had to buy a CB radio for a trip across Alaska for emergency use. That will sit for a few more decades, I'm sure.

My hand tools, some are nearing 50 years old, are doing just fine and see service quite often. I still have and use my 1st DMM (digital multi-meter) which is now 39 years old according to my records. That, and my trusty Simpson 260!

I really need to dump some of that cr@p!

I'm still using my 1999 Dell Dimension 4100 desktop for my rental business.

I'm also still using my late DMIL's 1947 International Harvester Refrigerator for my winemaking. It keeps things ice cold but the freezer compartment won't keep ice cream frozen, but DMIL said that 20 years ago!

I just checked again; my two Pickett slide rules need no batteries. Neither does my E-6B computer. So I am ready for the apocalypse.

iPod Shuffle - great gym music device. Does not weigh down your shirt. If it gets lost, who cares. I never wanted to bring my iPhone into the gym.

Last edited:
I give some of the working, usable, but just old stuff to Good Will.

Other stuff gets fixed and repurposed, or fixed and out to Good Will.

Some stuff I strip for any usable parts for my hobbies, the rest to recycling. Or straight to recycling.

I have some retro-classic things that are probably of worth to someone. They fetch maybe $50-$100 on ebay (sold prices, not asking), but I don't want to go through the hassle of that. I'd like to get them to someone who might appreciate them, but I don't want to do any work. Maybe the Next Door group, but that's still gonna be a small audience for some specialized stuff. I'm talking original C-64, Atari computers, original 3-com 'Audrey' (working) and two original Apple Newton's (and these work when I put in batteries). DW wants them out of the house, and I can't blame her, they just take up space.

-ERD50

I just bought this for our bought-in-1983 Apple //e:

https://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

Hopefully I can get all my old Infocom games loaded to the above...

Last edited:
I've still got (and use nearly daily) two iPod Classics (7th gen) from 2010. They've got 160GB of RAM, and I've got about 40GB of music on them. I've replaced the batteries a couple of times (thank you Youtube), and mostly keep them plugged into the boomboxes I use them in. However, I can't add or manage the music anymore. I never used iTunes, and none of the old managers don't run on the newer computers. But with 40GB of music I just put it on shuffle and it can play for weeks without repeating.

Have a couple of old VCRs in the house. And DVD/CD/CD-R players. Despite 4 kids we managed to avoid a glut of MP3 players. Do have some old phones around both cell and RJ-11 that we don't use anymore. I don't think the kids even know what an RJ-11 jack is for even though there are lots in the house. Barely know what ethernet jacks are. Progress.

iPod Shuffle - great gym music device. Does not weigh down your shirt. If it gets lost, who cares. I never wanted to bring my iPhone into the gym.
I still have mine and use it occasionally. Size of a match pack. Perfect.

Not in the field of personal type electronics, but I have 3 old cars that still have breaker point ignition systems. No electronics of any type involved in the engine operation. I do set the points using a dwell meter, I suppose it is analog electronic, although I have not bothered enough to investigate. Definitely is not a digital.

So when the big EMP pulse renders all the new cars useless, I can still drive my old cars :LOL: :D

Back
Top Bottom