Join Early Retirement Today

Viewing iPad on my TV
Old 08-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #1

Viewing iPad on my TV

Is there any way to view your iPad on your TV? I’ve tried installing Chrome and casting, but that doesn’t work, at least not in all cases, like watching you tube. It looks like the easiest way is Apple TV, but that costs money and does much more and that much more doesn’t seem like something I need or want (streaming TV shows) as I already have smart TV’s and can do all that I want.

Any ideas on a cost effective way to do this or anything I may not know about Apple TV that would help me see additional value in purchasing it?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Apple TV, works well, cheap enough

Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless I'm misunderstanding your request, you can buy a Lightning to HDMI adapter that allows you to send your iPad display to any recent model TV that has HDMI connectors (you'll need an HDMI cable in addition to the adapter):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-l...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:17 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna152 View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding your request, you can buy a Lightning to HDMI adapter that allows you to send your iPad display to any recent model TV that has HDMI connectors (you'll need an HDMI cable in addition to the adapter):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-l...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have used one of these for years, an excellent solution for use in hotel rooms while traveling it also works with an iPhone.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I have used one of these for years, an excellent solution for use in hotel rooms while traveling it also works with an iPhone.
Ditto, I use these in hotels all the time.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Any ideas on a cost effective way to do this or anything I may not know about Apple TV that would help me see additional value in purchasing it?
You can use older Apple TV for AirPlay (what Apple calls screen casting).

Don't buy the really old Apple TVs (the original bigger ones, stick to the ones that are small black boxes). I looked on eBay and saw some 2nd gen Apple TVs for around $30.

I have an older Apple TV (2nd gen I think) hooked up to our bedroom TV. It can't run the latest tvOS from Apple - so downloadable apps, but it works great for sending video playing on an iPad or iPhone to the TV.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #7

Thanks. Couple good ideas. I had seen the cable, but was hoping not to be physically tied to the TV. I like the idea and price on an older Apple TV. I’ll look into that. One big Pro for the cable is that I bet it works with less issues - nothing to set up or WiFi connection issues.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
You can use older Apple TV for AirPlay (what Apple calls screen casting).

Don't buy the really old Apple TVs (the original bigger ones, stick to the ones that are small black boxes). I looked on eBay and saw some 2nd gen Apple TVs for around $30.

I have an older Apple TV (2nd gen I think) hooked up to our bedroom TV. It can't run the latest tvOS from Apple - so downloadable apps, but it works great for sending video playing on an iPad or iPhone to the TV.
Yes - if you can find a 2nd gen AppleTV cheap that would work wireless.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Chrome Browser or Chromecast enabled app on the iPad, and the Chromecast thing-a-majig on the TV. Works fine for me.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Chrome Browser or Chromecast enabled app on the iPad, and the Chromecast thing-a-majig on the TV. Works fine for me.
It wonít do you tube. It will mirror your browser, but Iíve not figured out how to get it to cast you tube videos.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
It won’t do you tube. It will mirror your browser, but I’ve not figured out how to get it to cast you tube videos.
A few years ago I tried the Chromecast app while visiting our daughter and it also didn’t work when using VPN. While traveling abroad, including Canada, if I wanted to use my Netflix or Amazon Prime Video accounts I would use VPN, or while in the USA I would use my UK BBC account with VPN. No problem when using the Lightning connector to HDMI cable connector.

Apple TV in our US home was no problem when the iPad or iPhone was streaming while connected to VPN.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It wonít do you tube. It will mirror your browser, but Iíve not figured out how to get it to cast you tube videos.
I use Chromecast and it casts Youtube videos from my iPad just fine. Are you using the Youtube app? If so, you should see a little Chromecast symbol in the corner of the video and if you click on that it will cast to your TV. Make sure your iPad and Chromecast are on the same network.

On the other hand I seem to have trouble making my Apple TV work from my iPad. Haven't really figured out why but it is really choppy when I do get it to work (and Chromecast is fine).
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #13

I’ll look again. Yes. I use the you tube app.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #14

If getting an Apple TV, I would at least get the 4th generation. I got mine by signing up for Direct TV Now streaming service for 3 months.

With Apple TV, you can play Youtube videos with the built-in app. so no need to cast.

Direct TV Now offer isn't as appealing:

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

So you prepay for 4 months of DTN for $160 and you get an Apple TV 4K worth $179 and you get to try the service for 4 months.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It won’t do you tube. It will mirror your browser, but I’ve not figured out how to get it to cast you tube videos.
Interesting since YouTube is owned by Google. I could swear my youtube app shows the little 'cast' icon up top. I need to check that out.

Add: I checked it out and the app definitely shows the casting icon on Youtube. It works fine with the Chromecast.

The one time it did not work at all was because the Chromecast device signed on to my old WIFI network and the iPad was logged onto a different home Wifi network.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #16

There is a TV looking icon in the upper right corner of the YouTube main page. Click on it. It will ask if you want to connect with your TV. Bam. What's on your iPad is now on your TV. I use it all the time.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

It’s true - with the current AppleTV you can watch YouTube directly on the TV without getting the iPad involved at all. Also Amazon videos.

We have also our AppleTV connected to Ethernet for max speed.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
There is a TV looking icon in the upper right corner of the YouTube main page. Click on it. It will ask if you want to connect with your TV. Bam. What's on your iPad is now on your TV. I use it all the time.
I recall now, my Samsung TV (the one I use most), does not have the YouTube app on it. With my LG, I can sync up using to two apps (the one on my iPad and the one on the TV). But on my main TV, I cannot make that happen. Iíve checked and I guess the Samsung company cannot or will not allow the YouTube app on their Smart TVís. Thatís why I need an alternative.